Any Suggestions for Final Room battle on ironman *Possible Spoilers?*

UCSDpitcher

I'm in the final room on my ironman playthrough. Having played 4 other times I know how crazy the last room can be even if all you try to do is take out the main etheral (stupid reflection!) Since I can't reload saves, does anyone have a good strategy they use for this situation. I have 2 snipers w double tap, 1 heavy, 1 assault w ghost armor and alloy cannon, 2 support. Usually I'll put my assault in ghost mode and reveal the last guy then have everyone shoot at him, but if I can't get him in the first turn things can fall apart quickly. I just don't to work this hard and have it all fall apart at the end Thanks guys!

Get every character in the room while hugging the left and the right wall; three spaces to the right and three spaces to the left of the entrance.

That way you won't yet trigger the sequence.

When your next full turn starts use your heavy's rocket launcher on the ethereal. You need to aim up once using the d-pad to hit him.

Afterwards turn your assault invisible and walk towards the ethereal using run & gun. That should trigger the sequence.

Then have your two snipers shoot him.

They should be able to take quick care of him.

• 2 weeks later...

I was having trouble with a couple of my characters being stuck (snipers that I had in archangle armour, for some reason it would not let me move them from the middle of the previous room) So I just set up my remaining 4 just outside the room 3 with overwatch and sent the final support in enough to trigger the sequence and then retreated back out of the room. 5 turns later the main ethereal came to the doorway and got taken out in 1 turn.

This was on easy on my first playthough so I do not know if this will work every time.

Edited by biglington

I actually just did this today. I had my six dudes lined up just through the door with my two sniper in the second row. There are room for three people per row. Finish your turn then at the beggining of the next turn run with your heavy to the inner corner of one of the little balconies across from the boss ethereal. Hopefully you have holosight to make the rest of your squad have better aim. Then snipe him twice shoot him with dudes and use the psi crazy attack. On my first playthrough i actually killed him with just one sniper that used double tap. The ironman i used 2 snipes 1 heavy 3 support and had to attack with all but one dude.

3 Snipers, 2 Assaults, 1 Heavy.

Ghost Mode activate, 3 on each balcony (directly opposite Uber Shitstick himself). Next turn, Shredder Rocket and 3 Double Tap Plasma Snipers with Headshots. If you still miss, the 2 Assaults can Run & Gun with Alloy Cannons and probably finish him off.

Note : You only have to kill the Uber Ethereal, don't even waste your time with his friends. And hope the Heavy is your Volunteer, because he shouldn't even need to get within range of the Uber before firing his Shredder Rocket.

Total cake, create a backup on the Dash just before you enter the room if you're nervous though.

Ghost armor for everybody!

Keep your volunteer out of the room.

All 5 invisible folks just position wherever you want.

I had two assault, one heavy, two snipers, and a support (not super useful in this case, but he was the volunteer).

Being one tile away from the super-ethereal, my Assault guys could decimate him with rapid fire. The heavy could get two shots in (bullet storm) or fire a rocket. Snipers mop up if needed (one was Double Tap) other was In the Zone). Volunteer could rush into the room if necessary.

If that fails, be ready to dashboard out. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Get every character in the room while hugging the left and the right wall; three spaces to the right and three spaces to the left of the entrance.

That way you won't yet trigger the sequence.

It helps to have at least one sniper in Archangel armor. When they're hugging that inner wall (the one that doesn't trigger the cutscene) -- turn on the jets and shoot straight up as high as you can go. They STILL won't trigger the cutscene, and they'll be sitting pretty for the next turn.

And a hover SHIV is also pretty helpful.

• 1 month later...
I had two plasma snipers with double tap and squad sight lined up, went in with a third soldier to trigger the sequence. Boom, boom, boom, boom - Ethereal dead. This was on normal, though.

Just wanted to say that I tried my method on classic Iron Man yesterday. Nailed it on my first try, didn't even need all four shots. I would really recommend it because of the simplicity - it only takes a half turn.

Oh yeah, I should mention that my snipers were equipped with scopes, and that I had completed the foundry project that gives extra crit to scopes.

Edited by Armakuni

• 2 months later...
I had two plasma snipers with double tap and squad sight lined up, went in with a third soldier to trigger the sequence. Boom, boom, boom, boom - Ethereal dead. This was on normal, though.

It worked on Impossible as well. Except for the part where the Uber Ethereal reflected 3 shots, but basically that's what I used. Had advanced scopes for all team members.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm in the final room on my ironman playthrough. Having played 4 other times I know how crazy the last room can be even if all you try to do is take out the main etheral (stupid reflection!) Since I can't reload saves, does anyone have a good strategy they use for this situation. I have 2 snipers w double tap, 1 heavy, 1 assault w ghost armor and alloy cannon, 2 support. Usually I'll put my assault in ghost mode and reveal the last guy then have everyone shoot at him, but if I can't get him in the first turn things can fall apart quickly. I just don't to work this hard and have it all fall apart at the end Thanks guys!

One thing to remember about Ironmode is that you can technically reload if you have the patience. The game autosaves after every turn. If you signout before the enemy finishes their turn you will be returned to the main menu and can reload that turn if you get into trouble.

Also when moving your team in to the final area if you move them to the right and left of the door keeping them against the wall closest to the door. they can follow the wall around to at least the 1st alcove on either side of the upper platforms without triggering the final sequence. I usually position both my snipers near the ramp and every one else on the wall to the right. Then on my next turn I am free to move everyone into cover just in front of them and fire in the same turn.

As most have said snipers are the key with double tap, damn good ground, squad sight and arch angle armor. I only had two snipers, a support, 1 assault, and 2 heavies. It only took two times to figure out the pattern to have all of my guys shoot to be able to kill the main ethereal. I always go for holo targeting on my heavies. Heavies have the worst accuracy of the group and using holo targeting improves the whole team even if they miss. They can make a difference if a sniper is going to miss a shot or not and can be used to improve chances of others when they themselves have zero chance of hitting.

Ironmode is a pain in the ass and I would strongly recommend using the signout/in or dashboard trick to keep yourself from being royally screwed.

Also keeping a backup save on a flashdrive is a great thing. I kept one backup after the end of a good month. Never needed it but it is a good idea. I lost 5 countries before I got everything up and going and sacrificed 2 more to make things go a bit quicker at the end. I did this on my 2nd playthrough. 1st was on easy, 2nd was on classic ironmode, 3rd on highest difficulty, then enjoyed my last two playthroughs for getting all starting continents played.

Edited by DemonRaider1138

• 2 months later...

I had 4 heavies and 2 support. Copy your save onto a USB stick so you have a backup if you screw things up. Edge the heavies to the 2nd position from the door and blind fire rockets at the ethereals pedestal. 5 or 6 hits will kill the central etheral and your sorted.