Updated Info On Relics of a Forgotten Past

Tyba11s

Upon hearing of the Epic/Silicon Knights lawsuit coming to a close, I got the itch to revisit this game and finish up the achievements, namely Relics of a Forgotten Past. After a fair amount of research on the subject I thought I'd share my mistakes and successes for posterity. I'm making this thread under the assumption that you know the requirements for the achievement. I'm not going to go into detail about information already available in the guide. I also don't have Gold, so unless you want to pay for it, I can't trade my elite armor set.

First off, I picked the improved Spider Farming method, mentioned here. If you're good at your class, focused, and patient, HoH runs are quicker and more efficient, but if you're lazy like me and want to watch TV while you grind, the spider farm is better for your sanity.

Now the mistake I made while doing this was not clearing the campaign on my current playthrough. From my experience, the best chance at getting elite armor to drop is to have all tokens through a regular campaign playthrough (not through mission select). In fact, I could only get elite armor to drop after I had cleared the campaign. I mistakenly set aside an entire Sunday afternoon for spider farming and only had a handful a runes to show for it. After I had acquired the tokens and loaded up 3-4, however, I got my first elite armor (ever) within an hour, and four more pieces in the next two hours along with several elite weapons and runes. The next day and another hour netted me the final piece.

Now I could've been extremely lucky when the reds started to roll in, but at this point I had already clocked in 80 hours without a single elite item drop, doing all sorts of random stuff while cleaning up achievements. Once I read a random passing comment somewhere about clearing the campaign and then trying the spider farm, I had immediate success.

Edited by Tyba11s

• 3 weeks later...
Upon hearing of the Epic/Silicon Knights lawsuit coming to a close, I got the itch to revisit this game and finish up the achievements, namely Relics of a Forgotten Past. After a fair amount of research on the subject I thought I'd share my mistakes and successes for posterity. I'm making this thread under the assumption that you know the requirements for the achievement. I'm not going to go into detail about information already available in the guide. I also don't have Gold, so unless you want to pay for it, I can't trade my elite armor set.

First off, I picked the improved Spider Farming method, mentioned here. If you're good at your class, focused, and patient, HoH runs are quicker and more efficient, but if you're lazy like me and want to watch TV while you grind, the spider farm is better for your sanity.

Now the mistake I made while doing this was not clearing the campaign on my current playthrough. From my experience, the best chance at getting elite armor to drop is to have all tokens through a regular campaign playthrough (not through mission select). In fact, I could only get elite armor to drop after I had cleared the campaign. I mistakenly set aside an entire Sunday afternoon for spider farming and only had a handful a runes to show for it. After I had acquired the tokens and loaded up 3-4, however, I got my first elite armor (ever) within an hour, and four more pieces in the next two hours along with several elite weapons and runes. The next day and another hour netted me the final piece.

Now I could've been extremely lucky when the reds started to roll in, but at this point I had already clocked in 80 hours without a single elite item drop, doing all sorts of random stuff while cleaning up achievements. Once I read a random passing comment somewhere about clearing the campaign and then trying the spider farm, I had immediate success.

For those of you going for elite armour and drops. I will say that the OP got lucky. I have every class and alignment, except the bio engineer, at 50; all red gear in all available inventory slots (including held), except for some orange empty slot weapons and altruist armour for my characters. For all of them I have GOD Armour built to make unstoppable runs easy and I have every elite armour set for every character except the bio engineer by the time I quit playing.

I have no less than 180 hours logged in on any character and when doing the spider farming technique it is hit or miss. Some days YOU CAN have red drops like crazy and others not. In my experience the tokens don't matter at all. I have spider farmed for a day with no red drops at all and then the next day did it again and I was getting 2 - 3 red drops per 5 kills. It is simply a drop chance. So luck will always be a factor.

NOTE: I do not have Gold Membership so I can not help people with this achievement.