Opinions on BF games vs. CoD(keep it civil)

Tsukasa117

I would like to know the opinion of the you all on the real defining differences between BF and CoD games. I've played MW, MW2, and Black Ops and I've always heard amazing things about BF games and the obvious debates on whos better that follow. Since I already have experience the CoD franchise I'd like to hear what the truly glaring differences in the multiplayer are in BF vs CoD, I'll be getting bothe games but it would help to have a general idea what to look forward too as far as balancing and such since its a class based system and not whatever you'd call CoD's system. Again please keep it civil don't turn this into a flame war as such conduct is not conducive to anything but having this thread locked and I hope that this will be a good source of info for people in my position. I'll go ahead and say for the record I'm not what would be called a CoD fanboy i've enjoyed the games for the most part but I've also had times when I wanted to but the game in a skeet shooter and have at it, I'm rambling so let the discussion begin.

You should of made this a poll.

He still can.

I prefer Battlefield over Call of Duty for many reasons. First off, you are separated into squads of four to maximize teamwork and lower the amount of voices. Twelve people trying to communicate is very unorganized and can be very bothersome and distract you from the game. Separating teams into increments of four is a great idea and is more efficient than a gigantic team.

I also prefer it more than Call of Duty because there is bullet-drop. It makes the game more realistic and it gives the snipers from Call of Duty a harder time.

Vehicles are an amazing feature as well.

I think Battlefield is better than CoD.

CoD has been on the market for too long and their games are basically the same but with different weapons each time. I feel like CoD is a way overrated game, and that Battlefield beats it at almost every point.

I prefer Battlefield over CoD and I'm a CoD player! In Battlefield you don't have to listen to an entire lobby of whining children, you only have to listen to 1-3 people (your squad!) Yes their is a mute option in CoD games but I hate having to mute everyone in the lobby every game! lol. Battlefield has more customization even though it doesn't have gun camo, but gun camo is an irrelevant feature, although it would be nice to have. Vehicle combat, what could be more fun than flying a chopper around/trying to take a chopper out. BF games provide a better gameplay experience when you are in a squad playing with friends, keep in mind that if you play this game by yourself, it may change your opinion of it, as its harder to accomplish the objectives/win/have fun when you're playing by yourself. BF is not a lone wolf game like CoD.

I still love both series, and will continue to play both games until they stop making them.

@DEG23 directly below me

Its not about those two games, its about the series in general.

Edited by TpYourHouse

From my experience, they're fundamentally different games.

BF is much more team-based. It has larger maps, vehicles, plays more like a Halo, with two teams clashing it out.

COD is much more individual-based. Smaller maps, more focus on the individual classes, and customization of that and killstreaks, etc. No vehicles (save for COD3/WaW) Teamwork isn't really stressed.

To put it into perspective...when playing BF, I find myself thinking, "Okay, where is the other team?", whereas in COD, I am much more likely to think, "Okay, where is a player on the other team going to be?"

Here's what I like from Battlefield:

-Destruction 3.0

-Dynamic visuals

-Better physics

-Squads

-Big ASS maps

-jets, choppers, tanks, etc.

-stats (stars, awards, pins, etc.)

Basically, they're so different, Call of Duty, IMO, is not much of a big deal. I don't know why people keep buying them, Black Ops was my first Call of Duty game, and it was alright...not as fun as Battlefield, that's for sure. I have nothing against the Call of Duty games, they just seem boring to me, I sure as hell wouldn't play the multiplayer, let alone reach the max prestige, I wouldn't even enjoy it like I am in becoming a General of the Army in Battlefield Bad Company 2 (max rank).

(is anyone else sick of this topic yet?)

I am, for one. This exact discussion has been beaten to death not only on this forum but every other gaming-related forum as well. There's also no point, seeing as it boils down to opinions and preferences anyway. I hate how people act like they're doing the community a favor by arguing about this stuff "constructively".

I prefer Call of Duty because:

I like the fast fun and smooth gameplay.. Anyone i know who hasn't played it before can pick it up and SOMEWHAT play easily.

I like the Solo, One Man Army (not the perk) Dominating feel of it..

I only play FFA and S&D, even when i play S&D i dont play as a team.. yeah im sure some CoD ppl probably hate that i just said that.. but i prefer to do my own thing at all times and rush the other teams spawn immediately.. (im sure i'll be criticized over that as well)

and in FFA i just dominate the whole game.. 30/3 or 30/7 are usually the outcomes of MOST of my games.. Im not trying to seem like a mastermind of FFA.. but im just saying this is why i like CoD, i like the One many army domination style of it.. Its something im good at.

I dont play any other Team Based games other than S&D.. but i still one man army it.

And yes im down with BF as well, i wasn't much for the BC series.. but the true BF games im all aboard on.. Destruction is kewl and vehicles are kewl.. but its just not my favorite things to do as i have to play as a team.. i dont like that.. I like to go into my chill mode after work and just wreck havoc alone..

It seems like with these other team based games, Halo and BF.. you need a good team especially for halo, just to win! Thats not even counting the most important part.. which is having fun.. and i just can't have fun with a team.

and im glad BF has vehicles and CoD doesn't.. they need something to separate them.. id never want them to verge together on areas like that.

Lets hope this stays civilized.. but im not getting my hopes up.. im sure ill stop by this thread tomorrow and see all hells broke loose. Im actually tired of defending each game in different forums.

Edited by StillTIPPIN187

I am, for one. This exact discussion has been beaten to death not only on this forum but every other gaming-related forum as well. There's also no point, seeing as it boils down to opinions and preferences anyway. I hate how people act like they're doing the community a favor by arguing about this stuff "constructively".

There is only one consistant thing I see in these threads and it starts with "I LIKE". I do like seeing civil discussions like this, but only up to a certain point. This topic has just been beaten to death so many times that we are past the civil discussion part, and moved onto the "everytime I see a thread like this I want to puke" stage. Both these games are great games, which is why they continue to spur on these topics, and why these games sell so many copies. Why cant we just leave it at that. You may like BF, and I may like COD. Who cares if we are both playing games that we like. Isnt that a win win for both people?

Thank you all for the most part for keeping this civil and not turning it into a flame war.Also I may add a poll for this if I get a large enough set of legitimate responses and it will probably be something along the lines of 'what do you think is the driving aspect of the BF game series that keeps it competitive in the gaming industry?' or some such question.

There is only one consistant thing I see in these threads and it starts with "I LIKE". I do like seeing civil discussions like this, but only up to a certain point. This topic has just been beaten to death so many times that we are past the civil discussion part, and moved onto the "everytime I see a thread like this I want to puke" stage. Both these games are great games, which is why they continue to spur on these topics, and why these games sell so many copies. Why cant we just leave it at that. You may like BF, and I may like COD. Who cares if we are both playing games that we like. Isnt that a win win for both people?

You do realize that I asked for the members opinions right? its not like I asked a 1-1 question of which is better I asked what in there own opinions separates the BF experience from the CoD experience. This will be my first foray into BF games its not like i created this thread to start a war or intentionally piss you off as you seem to believe. I can respect your opinion on the threads your describing but don't lump this one in the same category and thus intentionally or not scew the reason behind this thread with the archaic which is better question.

Edited by Tsukasa117

It's battlefield for me always has been, I just prefer the scale of the battles and the encouragment on teamwork. And the fact that dice support their games and provide patches and such makes them one of my favorite developers.

However at the end of the day it all boils down to personal opinion and I don't see why people feel the need to force their opinion upon others.

COD = Better campaign, Spec Ops in MW2 (which BF3 co-op honestly looks a bit similar to)

BF = Decent balance, realism, vehicles, team based - both good and bad, requires some strategy, big maps, and destruction

BF is all about squads for me. Playing with 3 mates in a squad is awesome and just something you can't do in COD. I also find I don't mind so much playing it by myself with a bunch of random dudes in my squad, cause the guys playing it are a lot easier to chat with (different communities, to be expected).

I don't mind COD though, if I want some quick, short, unsocial fun, than blasting through COD for a few hours can be awesome. Although I don't do that often and my stats show that, I usually always get raped.

Both play to different strengths, both play to different communities, it is all about what you prefer... there really isn't a right or wrong game like most gamers seem to make out.

CoD

+ fast gameplay

+ many weapons

+ action campaign/not boring like other FPS

+ controlls (FPS rate 50 - 60)

+ many costum options

- graphics, same engine every year

- grenades in storymode, enemy respawn

- too many scriptings, very straight

- MP is full of campers, quickscoopers etc.

- "plastic look"

BF

+ great maps in MP

+ graphics are great (now BF3), destruction of the enviroment

+ more tactical then CoD

+ squads

+ vehicles/teamplay ist more importent

+ classes are balanced

+ war athmosphere is better in MP then in CoD

+ physics are more realistc

+ weapon sounds/sound overall

- campaign is not great in BBC and BBC 2

- controlls are not so fast (i mean the FPS rate (20/25/30 FPS), not the controlls itself, sry)

- grenades/grenade launcher strange

- sometimes the maps are too big and you have to run a little bit to get back in action

- teamkills to get a helicopter :mad:

For me, i buy booth upcoming games, but for MP i go with Battlefield and for single player i go with CoD.

Edited by TAI JASON

Not sure what you mean here. I'm not questioning it, just curious what you meant by it.

I got the feeling that the framerate in CoD is much more faster then the Battlefield framerate. The reaction time in Battlefield 1 was very lame sometimes. In BF 2 it was a way better, but not perfect. Some weapon switches or scoping (sniper) is not perfect, you got the feeling that it´s "hanging" before you go into aim. Not talking about lags...

I think it´s the FPS rate. CoD got constant 50 - 60 FPS and BF got 20 - 25 - 30 FPS.

Hope you understand what i mean :)

I think Battlefield is better than CoD.

CoD has been on the market for too long and their games are basically the same but with different weapons each time. I feel like CoD is a way overrated game, and that Battlefield beats it at almost every point.

Except Battlefield has been around longer (Though you could then say MoH has been around before that)..

Not sure what you mean here. I'm not questioning it, just curious what you meant by it.

He's probably talking about the frame rate which does contribute to the 'tightness' of the controls. For example, I went from Bad Company 2 to Modern Warfare 2 and everything felt so fast.

COD = Better campaign, Spec Ops in MW2 (which BF3 co-op honestly looks a bit similar to)

BF = Decent balance, realism, vehicles, team based - both good and bad, requires some strategy, big maps, and destruction

From the looks of the 12-min trailer, BF3 is going to have a ridiculous campaign.

I'll probably get BF3 just for the campaign, and MW3 just for survival/MP.

Well this is how I feel about em. I'll keep it short and sweet. With cod I love it's campaign. Battlefield not so much. Multiplayer, on the other hand, I like battlefield a million times more. I have NEVER liked cod multiplayer and most people don't believe me when I say it, but it's true. I have never once had I guess what some people refer to as "fun" for mp for cod. Battlefield is just the best multiplayer on the planet IMO.