Achievement Strategy

Virtual Terror

I usually go through my first playthrough without worrying about any achievements. I may sometimes look at the achievement list to see if there is anything important that can come in handy on my second playthrough. After I finish it then I look into the guides and start my second playthrough.

It depends on what I am playing. If it's a RPG, which is what I tend to play most, I will read the achievements and memorise the key ones, but not worry about it till I finish the game. If I miss any, well I will just play it again :)

If it's an arcade game then I do tend to work towards the achievements. I usually go for the lowest points first, as they do tend to be easier. Only exception is multiplayer - I don't usually play multiplayer games so I leave them till last, and then ask for people to help me in Achievement Trading threads. :)

When I get a game, I play casually, then when story mode is done I look back and see what achievements I can get.

same here sometimes i take a quick gander to see if i can get most in 1 play through because if i miss one it usually takes me months to go back and finish it

It all depends really. If it's a game that would be a pain in the ass to go back and get items in for all the achievements(Lost Odyssey's Treasure Trove achievement comes to mind), I'll use a guide to getting all the items the first time through. Otherwise, I make sure there are no missable achievements(Or if there are missable achievements, what are they and what do I have to do?) the first time around and once I'm done with the game I'll go for the remaining achievements.

I have 2 strategy.

1. Is for games that I plan to sit back and enjoy, there's usually only 5-10 a year. I just play through it , then mop up everything else.

2. Are most games I play, I rip through them with all the guides and maps, get all the GS I can get out of them.

These are both fairly new ways for me, From launch till late 2007 I simply played games and and got what ever I got. Then I got hooked on these achievements, and have been whoring ever since. I am now going back and moping up all those games I didn't get much GS out of.