Official MLB Thread

Creech

Sports Bar Rules:

No Flaming! - Feel free to disagree, be passionate about your favorite team(s), etc., but if you attack another member of the site you may find yourself less than welcome.

No Spam! - The key here is to discuss the sport/teams/players in question, not to throw out random comments unrelated to anything.

Have Fun! - This is why we are all here, right? Keep it fun.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules, use the report function and that will let the moderation team know. We will address it as quickly as we can.

Word is the Dodgers are about to sign Greinke to a 6 year deal worth $145MM. Zack is good, but not that good.

Looks like the Dodgers might be well on their way to paying a sickeningly large luxury tax once the new rules go into effect in 2014. Perhaps their spending will change the Red Sox and Yankees' minds about getting below the new threshold...

Looks like the Dodgers might be well on their way to paying a sickeningly large luxury tax once the new rules go into effect in 2014. Perhaps their spending will change the Red Sox and Yankees' minds about getting below the new threshold...

I know the Yankees are wanting to stay below the threshold but the Sox as well? I thought they just made that trade to clear some bad contracts and make room for big moves. I'd say they almost have to. With them missing the playoffs two years in a row, they have to find a way to keep the 'Fenway Faithful' happy.

I know the Yankees are wanting to stay below the threshold but the Sox as well? I thought they just made that trade to clear some bad contracts and make room for big moves. I'd say they almost have to. With them missing the playoffs two years in a row, they have to find a way to keep the 'Fenway Faithful' happy.

I could have sworn I heard the Red Sox swear over and over that they were going to try to be more fiscally responsible. Really bad news for that club since no one there has a proven track record of putting together a team without over spending. It could get real bad there and force them into spending to much to win again.

What happened to the old MLB thread?

Anyway Tribe signed Mark Reynolds.

Is he going to take a "swing" at setting the strikeout record again? :)

All the old threads got restarted because some site maintenance was going to screw them up.

I'm only a casual fan of the Blue Jays, but what do you baseball brains think about the moves Alex Anthopolous has made?

Does it make them a legit contender for the division and maybe The World Series?

Are the Yankees and Red Sox that much on the decline to allow the Blue Jays to sneak some glory in?

I'm only a casual fan of the Blue Jays, but what do you baseball brains think about the moves Alex Anthopolous has made?

Does it make them a legit contender for the division and maybe The World Series?

Are the Yankees and Red Sox that much on the decline to allow the Blue Jays to sneak some glory in?

I think the Red Sox and Yankees are going to definitely be on the decline. Between both teams cutting payroll and the injuries the Yankees have sustained (A-Rod may miss the whole season and Jeter may not be available early in the year) both teams are looking vulnerable.

The Jays trade raped the Marlins so they are looking better. However, I think that is now Baltimore's division to lose for a little while.

Word is the Dodgers are about to sign Greinke to a 6 year deal worth $145MM. Zack is good, but not that good.

They can have him and his fragile mind....

Loving the Dodgers spending all this money on crap players....Magic Johnson was an amazing basketball player....why he thought it would translate well in baseball is crazy.

GO GIANTS!!

On paper, an amazing pitcher with killer stuff. But the guy's a total headcase and honestly, imo, not worth much more than $8M a year. Especially since he hasn't proved himself in the playoffs, which is what I'm assuming the Dodgers are aiming for.

EDIT: He did sign a 6-year $147M with the Dodgers. They definately overpaid for a no. 2 starter behind Kershaw.

Anyway Tribe signed Mark Reynolds.

I wouldn't get too excited as an Indians fan, when he was in Arizona at least his strikeout numbers could be justified by the 50 HR's he was hitting a season. But last year I would almost make the case that he hurt the Orioles more than he helped them, except for the series he had against the Yankees in late August/early September.

As a Jays fan, I love the trade, although they did give up quite a bit, they also got some young guys. Reyes I hope is still in his prime. Johnson still a young, strong arm. Buerhle will be a solid 3(?) who will throw a bunch of innings for them and hopefully win 15 games. Buck will be a solid back up behind Arencibia and Bonifacio will be a threat off the bench and will be a sparkplug when he does get to start.

Wondering what you all think about the Josh Hamilton rumors of him going to Seattle. The Jays and Mariners have always been my 2 favorite teams and I think it would be awesome if they would go and get a guy that they can build their offense around. And also hopefully, that show's they are willing to spend the money to keep Felix in Seattle for a long time.

Edit: And Choo is gone, essentially for Bauer and Stubbs.

If I am an Indians fan, I am actually pretty happy with that trade. Choo is a Boras client and as such would hold the orginaziation hostage, squeeze out all the money he can and be damned with the team.

Getting Stubbs is a pretty good return. I don't know enough about all the other pieces, but I like Stubbs personally.

If I am an Indians fan, I am actually pretty happy with that trade. Choo is a Boras client and as such would hold the orginaziation hostage, squeeze out all the money he can and be damned with the team.

Getting Stubbs is a pretty good return. I don't know enough about all the other pieces, but I like Stubbs personally.

Stubbs struggled a bunch last year and was one of the reasons why the Reds offense could be wildly inconsistent at times. Also Walt Jocketty, the GM in Cinncy, has a one of the best track records in the game when it comes to dealing with Boras. Back when Jocketty was with the Cardinals he successfully negotiated several contracts with Boras players for below market value.

Several sources, including Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports, are reporting that the Angels have agreed to a 5 year deal with Josh Hamilton.

I haven't seen any salary numbers yet but you can be assured that this deal will push the Angels well over the new luxury tax threshold for quite some time. Especially if they have an intention of keeping Trout and Weaver around.

It must be nice to still have that kind of money to spend despite having the 2nd worst local TV ratings in baseball (and yet the richest TV deal...) and after setting a record low in attendance since 2003 (when current ownership took over).

It most certainly isn't a good move financially and I'm not even sure its a good move for the on-field product. They are creating a logjam of players only truly capable of playing corner infield and corner outfield positions or DH. What happens 3 or 4 years from now when Pujols and Hamilton are both only healthy enough to DH?

If they don't win the World Series in either or both of the next two seasons this will be a disastrous situation they have created for themselves.

I guess the Dodgers and Angels have committed to stepping into the void that the Red Sox and Yankees seem to be leaving.

Edited by bigbear.

I think the Indians win the Choo trade. Stubbs, although wildly inconsistent and strikes out too often, has the tools to be a 25 HR/25 SB kinda guy. Better in the field than Choo and I think an overall higher ceiling.

Agreed, the Indians got the best of that deal. I don't understand why the D Backs gave up so easily on Bauer.

Several sources, including Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports, are reporting that the Angels have agreed to a 5 year deal with Josh Hamilton.

I haven't seen any salary numbers yet but you can be assured that this deal will push the Angels well over the new luxury tax threshold for quite some time. Especially if they have an intention of keeping Trout and Weaver around.

It must be nice to still have that kind of money to spend despite having the 2nd worst local TV ratings in baseball (and yet the richest TV deal...) and after setting a record low in attendance since 2003 (when current ownership took over).

It most certainly isn't a good move financially and I'm not even sure its a good move for the on-field product. They are creating a logjam of players only truly capable of playing corner infield and corner outfield positions or DH. What happens 3 or 4 years from now when Pujols and Hamilton are both only healthy enough to DH?

If they don't win the World Series in either or both of the next two seasons this will be a disastrous situation they have created for themselves.

I guess the Dodgers and Angels have committed to stepping into the void that the Red Sox and Yankees seem to be leaving.

Precisely. They are the new Yankees. They have gone out and tried to buy talent to make themselves a contender. Hamilton's 31. Will be 36 when his 5 year $125M contract is up. Defense has been falling off in the past few years. Doesn't have the same first step speed he used to. I can't wait for a few years down the road when Trout is a FA and they don't have the money to sign him because of the Pujols and Hamilton deals are eating up their salary. Good on ya Angels.

On paper, an amazing pitcher with killer stuff. But the guy's a total headcase and honestly, imo, not worth much more than $8M a year. Especially since he hasn't proved himself in the playoffs, which is what I'm assuming the Dodgers are aiming for.

EDIT: He did sign a 6-year $147M with the Dodgers. They definately overpaid for a no. 2 starter behind Kershaw.

there's no evidence to support he is a headcase. He had social anxiety and depression but he's on medication now and is only just socially awkward now. $8 million a year is an extreme underpay if you are oing by today's market value. He's good but he's been coasting on that 2009 Cy Young for too long. It's hard to judge a guy's ability in the playoffs when he's only had a few games in the postseason.

The Yanks and Red Sox are wounded. Apparently both are trying to reduce payroll and have either an aging core (Yankees) or not much of a core at all (Red Sox). Both of their famrs are pretty bare so they won't be the powerhouses they have been for awhile. While they won't be bad, they won't be at the top of the AL East every year. Don't expect it to last too long though.

Also, Angels got Josh Hamilton when they should have got a pitcher or two with that money. I can actually see both of the L.A. teams missing the playoffs. How glorious that would be...

there's no evidence to support he is a headcase. He had social anxiety and depression but he's on medication now and is only just socially awkward now. $8 million a year is an extreme underpay if you are oing by today's market value. He's good but he's been coasting on that 2009 Cy Young for too long. It's hard to judge a guy's ability in the playoffs when he's only had a few games in the postseason.

The Yanks and Red Sox are wounded. Apparently both are trying to reduce payroll and have either an aging core (Yankees) or not much of a core at all (Red Sox). Both of their famrs are pretty bare so they won't be the powerhouses they have been for awhile. While they won't be bad, they won't be at the top of the AL East every year. Don't expect it to last too long though.

Also, Angels got Josh Hamilton when they should have got a pitcher or two with that money. I can actually see both of the L.A. teams missing the playoffs. How glorious that would be...

I'm not 100% sure about this but I think that if you can find information on Grienke when he is pitching against winning teams vs. when he pitches against losing teams you will be shocked by what you see. I think he feasts on inferior opponents while being average, at best, against decent teams.

I agree with you 100% on the Red Sox and Yankees. I just don't see them being near the same level they've been for at least 2 or 3 seasons unless something drastic happens. But I don't think you can keep either of those franchises down for long.

If the Angels don't win the World Series this upcoming season or the next they won't win it for a long, long time. Once they are 3 and 4 years deep on the Hamilton and Pujols deals that team is going to a be a complete mess on the field and financially.

Their attendance is going to continue to be pure shit if they don't win. Their local TV ratings might drop to the lowest in baseball instead of the second lowest (which doesn't really matter with that insane deal Fox gave them) and they will be paying a sickening amount of money to the league for the luxury tax.

Edited by bigbear.

There's plenty of evidence to prove he's a headcase. Last year when he spiked the ball behind first base and got ejected in the first inning, prime example. He's milked a 2009 Cy Young award for the past 3 years, and is getting payed as a high end pitcher, when his stats indicate you could get the same production from Anibal Sanchez for half the money. He's never had success in big games or the playoff, where it really counts. Hell, he has a 6.48 postseason career ERA. I guess I'm just not a fan, but let the Dodgers fail miserably this year, nothing would make me happier.

There's plenty of evidence to prove he's a headcase. Last year when he spiked the ball behind first base and got ejected in the first inning, prime example. He's milked a 2009 Cy Young award for the past 3 years, and is getting payed as a high end pitcher, when his stats indicate you could get the same production from Anibal Sanchez for half the money. He's never had success in big games or the playoff, where it really counts. Hell, he has a 6.48 postseason career ERA. I guess I'm just not a fan, but let the Dodgers fail miserably this year, nothing would make me happier.

So he gets mad when he does things wrong like not covering first when he should have? Many baseball players have outbursts but most of them tend to be them hitting other ballplayers when they get upset. Zack gets mad at himself and spikes a baseball or glove. He doesn't yell at or hurt other players. I'd much rather see Zack pissed off when he doesn't cover first for 17 million than see A-Roid stroll carelessly off the field after he strikes out for 28 million.

It's hard to judge a pitcher off of 16 innings. Many great batters that have only seen small amount of playoff time have horrible stats too.

I think the Indians win the Choo trade. Stubbs, although wildly inconsistent and strikes out too often, has the tools to be a 25 HR/25 SB kinda guy. Better in the field than Choo and I think an overall higher ceiling.

Agreed, now the Tribe also, has money to spend on Chris Perez.

BTW, STO (Sports Time Ohio, which shows every Indians game) got bought out by Fox.

I also, didn't want Josh to leave Texas, but two years in a row the Rangers lost a good player to the Halos. (C.J. Wilson last year)

Waste of a year and $$$ for the Tigers, Angels or Dodgers if they don't win the World Series. I'd like to see the Yankees make one more run while Jeter and Rivera are still in the pin stripes, very doubtful though (hate the Youk signing)...

I'm not particularly impressed with the Dodgers or Angels. Sure they've spent a ton of money and brought in some big "name" players but I'm not sure the pieces fit together. After a slow start the Tigers clicked and went to the World Series last season and were unlucky to run up against an insanely hot team. Their rotation 1-4 is probably the best in baseball and they have two of the most dangerous hitters in the game in the middle of the lineup.

Also I think the Angels have a very small window to win in, basically until Pujols and Hamilton break down (which both have clearly started to do). The Dodgers may have a longer window but not by much. The Tigers are much younger and I think more talented. Not winning the World Series wouldn't be a disaster for the Tigers this season because they probably will compete for 5 or 6 more seasons. The Angels and Dodgers need to win in the next 2 years.