Bitching Thread

BIGbivvie

I thought this game was much better than AC2.

Plot was much better and meatier. Characters and conflict were much better developed. Gameplay was smoother; freerunning was infuriating in AC2 because I would always jump and run on the wrong things and at wrong angles, and this never happened in AC3. The Frontier was a welcome addition and the development of the Homestead was pleasant as well.

On the other hand, the optional objectives were just infuriating. Unlike everyone else it seems, I was not at all impressed with the naval combat, which I found clunky and obnoxious given the optional objectives. There was too little assassination and actual puzzle-based stealth as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1- Can't seem to perfect the 'human shield' option. I'm mashing A, wtf?

2- Can't press B to grab onto a ledge when falling at the last moment.

3- The British Army is like a gang of disease infested pigeons swooping down over you just for walking past them. "You there! Stop!" (f*ckkkk!!!!!)

4- Nathan, the father, (as far as I've gotten to) is a complete A-hole. Slap him

5- Where in the F is Benjamin Franklin's general store in Boston? Can't find it, or any general store for that matter.

6- MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT- Hey, Connor, you have a mission to do in Boston. Eavesdrop on this guy for 5 seconds. Done! Congratulations! Now travel 15 minutes all the way over to New York to do something else. Once you've completed that, meet me all the way on the edge of the freakin Frontier to do something tedious. AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Trading this piece of shit. Trying to complete to 100% is fucking pointless. Most of the optional objectives require you to focus on them so much that the game is not fun. This is not to mention that some of them are based completely on blind luck. I like difficulty, but give the player a chance for Christ's sake!

If you mean "meatier" like a piece of bland chicken with no flavor, then yeah I agree. I hope you are not implying that the story for 3 was better then 2......

Sorry; ACII's story was garbage. I hold my video games to the same standard I hold my books in terms of quality of narrative, and I read a lot of very good books. ACIII's plot was not amazing. ACII's plot was terrible except for the arc narrative of Dezmond. While Renaissance Italy was a better theme (simply because of the amazing Churches), Ezio's "story" was simplistic and uninteresting in every way imaginable.

Compare ACIII: The Templars are fleshed out and provided with actual motives and -- mirabile dictu! -- shades of grey; the theme is put to great use given the intense involvement of Connor's involvement in the Revolutionary War; the relationship between the US government and the Native Americans is both intellectually stimulating and deftly interwoven at the narrative level. Most importantly, the arc narrative continues and continues to be interesting.

Honestly, it really confuses me how anyone could claim the plot of ACII is in any way superior by any objective or quantifiable metric.

The whole game game makes no fun!!! I rated every 4 parts before with 90 %, but THIS I rated 50 % and I think even that is too much!!! They wanted evrything but they coud not do anything (right) ! Never seen a that Buggy game! Shame on you, that you made it, shame on me, that I bought it! This was definitly my last AC! From part to part it became worse! They had really good ideas, but no guts to make it! Those fu... optional aims! They are makin the game trash! The missions would make fun, if those optional aims wouldn´t be!!!!!! What do you want with taht trash??????

Those optional aims ruin not only the game, they ruin the whole series! Why they just let us play the game how WE want??? NO, we have to play how THEY want us to play! That´s not the meaning of gaming! THAT´S IT! This was definetly my LAST AC!!!!!! FU!!!!!!!!! I´d rather play GTA! They let me play like I want to play! Totally Freedom!

Sorry; ACII's story was garbage. I hold my video games to the same standard I hold my books in terms of quality of narrative, and I read a lot of very good books. ACIII's plot was not amazing. ACII's plot was terrible except for the arc narrative of Dezmond. While Renaissance Italy was a better theme (simply because of the amazing Churches), Ezio's "story" was simplistic and uninteresting in every way imaginable.

Compare ACIII: The Templars are fleshed out and provided with actual motives and -- mirabile dictu! -- shades of grey; the theme is put to great use given the intense involvement of Connor's involvement in the Revolutionary War; the relationship between the US government and the Native Americans is both intellectually stimulating and deftly interwoven at the narrative level. Most importantly, the arc narrative continues and continues to be interesting.

Honestly, it really confuses me how anyone could claim the plot of ACII is in any way superior by any objective or quantifiable metric.

Your opinion is not fact....remember that. You say AC2 story was "garbage" and the reason is because you read a lot of books? AC3 was extremely boring to me. The twist in the beginning was good, but after that if felt just thrown together. A rush job to get the game out to the masses for a quick dollar.

AC2 story was well written. It was easy to get immersed into the plot. Even IGN feels the same way:

http://www.ign.com/games/assassins-creed-ii/xbox-360-14302493

http://www.ign.com/games/assassins-creed-iii/xbox-360-128701

So really you shouldn't be so confused that most people think the story for AC3 was easily one of the worst in the series....hopefully that is enough "quantifiable metric" for you.

Edited by Carmona

Your opinion is not fact....remember that.

Of course.

You say AC2 story was "garbage" and the reason is because you read a lot of books?
I did not say that at all. I said that my video games are held to the same standard in terms of plot as my books.

AC2 story was well written. It was easy to get immersed into the plot.
Your opinion is not fact.

Even IGN feels the same way:
So you tell me that my opinion is not fact, and then attempt to support your point by appealing to someone else's opinion? Nice.

I explained what specifically about the ACIII plot appealed to me. You have done nothing comparable with ACII. Nor has IGN. If you want to tell me exactly what made ACII's plot so awesome and what made ACIII's so bad, be my guest. My last post contained plenty of factual detail about ACIII. You have not responded to any of it at all. If you feel differently about ACIII, start by commenting on what I wrote in response to your last post.

Of course.

I did not say that at all. I said that my video games are held to the same standard in terms of plot as my books.

Your opinion is not fact.

So you tell me that my opinion is not fact, and then attempt to support your point by appealing to someone else's opinion? Nice.

I explained what specifically about the ACIII plot appealed to me. You have done nothing comparable with ACII. Nor has IGN. If you want to tell me exactly what made ACII's plot so awesome and what made ACIII's so bad, be my guest. My last post contained plenty of factual detail about ACIII. You have not responded to any of it at all. If you feel differently about ACIII, start by commenting on what I wrote in response to your last post.

I don't know how else to explain it. In my mind the game's story is better. It could be that Ubisoft took more time to develop the first couple of games. Now they make a game every year. They also force MP into the game which takes away from the development of the story.

We might have to agree to disagree.....you seem like the type that thinks highly of his opinion.

EDIT: I'm going to try and see if I can give you a better reason why.

Better Assassin - AC2. Ezio was just a more intesrting assassin. He had more personality and was funny at times. Connor was boring...mabye it had to do with his Native American heritage but he was bland. I never got invested in him.

Better Combat - AC2. While stealth was a big part of AC2, when you got in trouble you could fight your way through a large group of enemies. I could couter-attack most enemies and dodge away from more difficult enemies. In AC3 combat was not as fluid. The larger soliders with the back packs were hard to defeat, impossible to counter or roll away from. You would think an assassin would be able to handle his own in a fight.

Better Story - AC2. Maybe I am biased because I playe through the story at least 5 times in AC2, but it just had me hooked. Starting out as a young Ezio and growing up with him was just more interesting to me. Assasinating different templars and trying to solve a plot that started with your father and brother being murdered. I really enjoyed solving the puzzles in the tombs as well. AC3 just didn't do it for me. Things like playing hide and go seek as a small child and the naval missions I really hated. Just more bad then good.

Not sure if that gives you a better idea of why I like AC2 more....my goal isn't to change your mind. Just trying to let you know why I and most fans of the series really feel this was a huge letdown.

Edited by Carmona

I am not trying to say no one is allowed to feel disappointed. I am simply very confused about the notion that ACII's plot was superior. It really seems like an indefensible proposition to me.

Well then we agree on something....the thought of the other game being "better" then the game we like is impossible.

I'm quite enjoying ACIII at the moment, not completed it yet. However, the combat system is a bitch! It doesn't even feel like they've made it harder just more awkward! The 'heavies' are a real pain! Maybe I'm just not doing something right.

Also, as has been previously mentioned, it's buggy as fuck! Sometimes this is annoying, othertimes hilarious! In a 'synchronise viewpoint' cut scene it looked like Connor was wacking off while standing on a weather vane! Think it was to do with sheathing his sword or something.

Another good one was where my ship got flipped upside down! I thought I'd fail the mission until I realised I was still sailing it! Couldn't see what the hell was going on! Made me laugh though!

I'm quite enjoying ACIII at the moment, not completed it yet. However, the combat system is a bitch! It doesn't even feel like they've made it harder just more awkward! The 'heavies' are a real pain! Maybe I'm just not doing something right.

Also, as has been previously mentioned, it's buggy as fuck! Sometimes this is annoying, othertimes hilarious! In a 'synchronise viewpoint' cut scene it looked like Connor was wacking off while standing on a weather vane! Think it was to do with sheathing his sword or something.

Another good one was where my ship got flipped upside down! I thought I'd fail the mission until I realised I was still sailing it! Couldn't see what the hell was going on! Made me laugh though!

WHAT? I would have loved to have that ship glitch, given how sucky the naval missions when I was trying to complete the optional objectives.

My two biggest complaints about the game are the Encyclopedia for the Common Man (BOORRRRIIIING) and the naval missions. I honestly do not understand why everyone is praising them. I found the controls clunky and some of the optional objectives near-impossible given the stupidity of the AI.

• 1 month later...

I was on one of the privateer missions and witnessed an enemy ship fly across the horizon--barrel rolling the entire time--until it landed on an enemy ship and exploded.

I lul'd so hard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just most of the NPCs completely ticked me off and I wanted to destroy them. I never got fully into the story, it was really dull and generic. And good god, Connor's voice. I wanted to strangle him everytime he talked.

The only thing I really liked about this game was the hunting. Other than that, it's really buggy and frustrating.

• 3 weeks later...

Why would they make the only thing that you can't do before the epilogue to get 100% a conversation that is part of a Tier 2 club challenge. Realize that this is pretty minor, especially since I got Completionist right after I finished talking to Washington, but it just upsets me.

• 2 weeks later...

It's nothing overly serious, but as someone who enjoys history, it's kind of bugging me that after liberating forts, you lower the Union Jack to raise the Betsy Ross American flag... a flag that where I'm at in the game, doesn't even exist for another three years! Seriously, with that, you'd think they'd make it not possible to do the fort liberations before a certain point in the game, just for things to make sense! Had a moment doing one of the Captain Kidd missions that teleported me into 1776, then back to 1773 after I completed it!

Also, it's annoying me that this one frontier challenge isn't already unlocked for me, when my understand is I did it's requirement as one of the first things I did when I got to Boston! Every other challenge recognizes you already have done whatever before hand and credits you, but not this one, that now is going to require me to wait for whenever New York unlocks?!