Official Beta Discussion Thread - KEEP IT HERE

WalterWhite

It's time for a dedicated discussion thread since some people will start playing tomorrow. IGN posted a couple good videos about the beta.

This is quickly turning into my most anticipated game. The Alpha did away with some of my concerns but these videos got me really excited. I think this is going to be the game that gets people who are on the fence to start buying next-gen consoles this fall.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS0BNxKWW_o&index=2&list=PLraFbwCoisJCG2Wsep4O6WneiWMOKnSe7]How the Destiny Beta Made Me a Believer - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1opIH238wc&list=PLraFbwCoisJCG2Wsep4O6WneiWMOKnSe7]Discussing the Destiny Beta -- IGN First - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by WalterWhite

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good vid finds man, can't believe I hadn't found those yet lol I've been addicted to new vids it's bad haha

I watched a couple of the multiplayer map features IGN did last week, but I haven't really gone out of my way to watch a lot of stuff for the game. I thought these two videos did a nice job of summing up some things quickly for people who are still unsure about the game. In some ways we don't totally know how to define what the game is yet. It's easy to make surface level comparisons, but it's starting to feel like this is going to be something special, and I think Bungie has the kind of respect as a developer to pull off something new and people will give it the kind of chance it deserves to succeed. In short, kind of the polar opposite of how something like Defiance went. I don't know, I have to stop with the comparisons myself, this game is it's own unique entity.

Edited by WalterWhite

I watched a couple of the multiplayer map features IGN did last week, but I haven't really gone out of my way to watch a lot of stuff for the game. I thought these two videos did a nice job of summing up some things quickly for people who are still unsure about the game. In some ways we don't totally know how to define what the game is yet. It's easy to make surface level comparisons, but it's starting to feel like this is going to be something special, and I think Bungie has the kind of respect as a developer to pull off something new and people will give it the kind of chance it deserves to succeed. In short, kind of the polar opposite of how something like Defiance went. I don't know, I have to stop with the comparisons myself, this game is it's own unique entity.

Yea, for comparison sake though (at least to me) it's kind of like a rough mix of borderlands and halo, just with added bits and pieces you know? Idk though I've been excited about this game for awhile lol I made a clan and everything, I bought an xbox one just for this game haha :D

Yea, for comparison sake though (at least to me) it's kind of like a rough mix of borderlands and halo, just with added bits and pieces you know? Idk though I've been excited about this game for awhile lol I made a clan and everything, I bought an xbox one just for this game haha :D

Absolutely, all of the comparisons are totally fair. I don't know for certain, because I haven't heard Bungie come out and say it exactly like this, but it seems to me like they took the best parts from all of the multiplayer games that stood out and rolled them into one huge game that can grow as time goes on and be added to without suffering from having annual installments. I hope that's the philosophy anyway, and we don't see "Destiny 2" for a few years or something. You've got a campaign, player vs. player with a bunch of game types, three player co-op, a larger level of co-op/MMO in raids, and from the sound of it, you won't need to have a group of friends for it all to enjoy it because the game will pair you up with people. That appeals to me because I like the idea of this stuff but I don't often have a dedicated group of people to play with.

you won't need to have a group of friends for it all to enjoy it because the game will pair you up with people. That appeals to me because I like the idea of this stuff but I don't often have a dedicated group of people to play with.

See that's where I differ lol, I always seem have a crew, Idk I just love the social/multiplayer aspect of games and leading a crew, I barely ever play single player games anymore just for that :) And just in case if you want to join mine as well, my post for recruitment is attatched http://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/66365291/0/0 :D

Edited by Lukedawg

Absolutely, all of the comparisons are totally fair. I don't know for certain, because I haven't heard Bungie come out and say it exactly like this, but it seems to me like they took the best parts from all of the multiplayer games that stood out and rolled them into one huge game that can grow as time goes on and be added to without suffering from having annual installments. I hope that's the philosophy anyway, and we don't see "Destiny 2" for a few years or something. You've got a campaign, player vs. player with a bunch of game types, three player co-op, a larger level of co-op/MMO in raids, and from the sound of it, you won't need to have a group of friends for it all to enjoy it because the game will pair you up with people. That appeals to me because I like the idea of this stuff but I don't often have a dedicated group of people to play with.

Bungie have said that they want Destiny to last for 10 years. So I think its likely you will probably just see large expansions for it instead. Like back in the good ol' days!

I'm so hyped for this game, and very jealous of a lot of PS owners right now.

I really hope its lots of expansions rather than sequels. I want an expanding universe where I can get attached to my character and the lore of the game. I really think this is a game to get excited about, it encompasses the greatness of so many multiplayer games and everything I see about it makes me want it more. I cant wait to see all the dumbass haters screaming hype every five minutes to admit its something special.

I just hope they release a steady stream of challenges so I can bookmark my achievements over the coming years.

If you haven't seen this on the front page, it's about all you need to watch for the beta. I saw the length of the video and thought, no way I'm gonna watch all of this. Well, I did, and it flew by. The guys did a great job. And I have to say other than playing a different class than Lee did, my experience was nearly identical, including spots he died. Great video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T38bTvAaws]Destiny - Beta Let's Play - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by WalterWhite

If you haven't seen this on the front page, it's about all you need to watch for the beta. I saw the length of the video and thought, no way I'm gonna watch all of this. Well, I did, and it flew by. The guys did a great job. And I have to say other than playing a different class than Lee did, my experience was nearly identical, including spots he died. Great video.

Lee and Dan were very entertaining, but after 35 minutes, I had to shut it off. I know I don't play the Beta until Wednesday so people are going to say my opinion is invalid, but it still looks very boring and everything was your run of the mill "go here, deploy your Dinklege, kill the unintelligent AI enemies, and move on."

Lee and Dan were very entertaining, but after 35 minutes, I had to shut it off. I know I don't play the Beta until Wednesday so people are going to say my opinion is invalid, but it still looks very boring and everything was your run of the mill "go here, deploy your Dinklege, kill the unintelligent AI enemies, and move on."

My only real concern with the game right now, mostly just because I don't know, is how many areas like Old Russia (I don't know if I should call them maps or areas or levels?) there will be to explore in the final game and I'm not super thrilled with the amount of backtracking there seems to be. It seems like the missions play out like this: Mission 1: Go from A to B, Mission 2: Go from A to B to C, Mission 3: Go from A to B to C to D, and so on. Realizing that alphabetical explanation I just offered was kind of confusing, maybe think of it as revisiting the same dungeon in say Skyrim, which is a shitty example, and each of the three times you go back, you progress a further through it, but have to start from the beginning, and that's only after making your way to the dungeon again.

I agree with the run of the mill mission objectives comment, hopefully they're more varied in the final game. It's pretty obvious that we still don't know a great deal about everything this game will have to offer though. In the IGN videos they hint at powers you get later on that they weren't allowed to elaborate on yet that Bungie hasn't detailed. And you can see in the video above just how quickly the levels of the weapons improve. Personally, I can't wait to get lost in this game.

One of my favorite things about the game is the interface. Everything is clean and simple and legible. There aren't any microscopic fonts you see so often now in games and all of the weapons have these great descriptions and go into detail. I can wait to play the full game, it's gonna be great. I almost want to just stop playing the beta but I think I want to go through it with all three classes so I can decide before release which one I want to use full time.

Well after the shambles that is the PSN servers I finally managed to redeem my ps4 code 2 hours after they went live. Once I finally installed it and started it up, you are put straight into a prologue after watching some pretty impressive cinematics.

Visuals look sharper compared to the alpha which was nice. Gameplay is still solid and enjoyable with friends. However, I'm a little disappointed with the amount of content. Now, I know it's only a beta and we are lucky to get early access of this scale, but, there is barely anything new added that wasn't in the alpha.

I feel like I've played all this before, I was playing with my brother and we blasted through the story in less than 2 hours. They tease you by opening up the moon area but when you click on it you get a message saying it will be available in the full version, so you are just stuck with the old Russia area.

All in all it's a fun game but it feels like I wasted time battling with psn to download it and I've ended up with the alpha again.

I have to agree with BiggD the game just looks like a generic shooter with MMO grind added for the endgame.

I know Bungie say this is a 10 year game but from what I have seen so far I cannot see myself playing this for more than a few months

I have to agree with BiggD the game just looks like a generic shooter with MMO grind added for the endgame.

I know Bungie say this is a 10 year game but from what I have seen so far I cannot see myself playing this for more than a few months

I can see myself playing the Beta for 2 hours and not caring to carry on with the actual game in the future. It just doesn't look like the game for me.

I can see myself playing the Beta for 2 hours and not caring to carry on with the actual game in the future. It just doesn't look like the game for me.

I'm the opposite. The more I see of Destiny, the more I want to play it and keep on playing it.

But I'm a "grind game" addict. I have probably over 200+ hours in Borderlands, Borderlands 2, Diablo, Diablo 2, Diablo 3, Torchlight, and Torchlight 2 EACH.

That's thousands of hours just grinding for gear.

I'm the opposite. The more I see of Destiny, the more I want to play it and keep on playing it.

But I'm a "grind game" addict. I have probably over 200+ hours in Borderlands, Borderlands 2, Diablo, Diablo 2, Diablo 3, Torchlight, and Torchlight 2 EACH.

That's thousands of hours just grinding for gear.

I could see why perhaps it's not appealing to me in that case. The loot-grind (I think that's the term people are using) games usually don't entertain me for that long. Even the Borderlands games became a bit stale after 15 hours.

I won't deny Destiny looks very nice and will probably be very fun for a majority of gamers, but as much as I try to think this game will be great for me, I can't see myself enjoying it.

It's one of those, "You want to try to like it, but you don't" things.

Don't get me wrong I love grind games I have over 900 hours in D3 and RoS with around 600 in Torchlight 1 and 2. I also love Borderlands. Plus the 3 MMO's I have played These are just on the PC I hate to think if I looked at my playtime of those games on the consoles.

This game just does not seem to do much for my excitement plus there are several worries I have with the game there putting together and the direction its taking.

For those who have already played the beta on the PS4/PS3, any tips or advice on classes, weapons, loadouts, things to do/things not to do? Which weapons are good and which aren't worth trying? How do you suggest starting out -- I assume story mode first? etc.

I don't want to watch videos and have the experience spoiled, but text tips are ok to me. Thanks.

For those who have already played the beta on the PS4/PS3, any tips or advice on classes, weapons, loadouts, things to do/things not to do? Which weapons are good and which aren't worth trying? How do you suggest starting out -- I assume story mode first? etc.

I don't want to watch videos and have the experience spoiled, but text tips are ok to me. Thanks.

Its honestly better to figure these things out on your own especially in a beta where the level cap is so low. Youll have ample time to experiment with all classes and do everything available in the beta. Find what works/is most fun for you.

The couple of days play I did on the PS3 didn't really impress me, the PS controller/button layout is god awful. lol I was also kinda expecting a big open world, instead it's a decently big inclosed map that you revisit to do different quest, the game is most defiantly geared towards pure co-op as doing everything alone is pretty damn lack luster, so I honestly don't see why people want this game just to play alone.

All in all I'm still waiting for the XBOX release of the beta for the true test to play with friends. But for as it stands right now the game is simply Meh.

Edited by xxJUSTINxx

Is anyone else half as frustrated as I am at the snipers in competitive? The last game I played this guy DID NOT move and literally kept sniping me below the waist and was killing me in one shot. I really hope this is addressed before the final game comes out. I play more of a CQB Titan and there are a lot of areas in this game that have good camping areas for snipers with literally no blind spots. Very frustrating.