Calibration Problem!

Perax

Hey guys,

Just like Rock Band 2, i can't set a perfect calibration for my TV. I've had zero problems with calibration while playing all GHs games but not for Rock Band ones.

Obviously i do not own a Rock Band guitar so i can't auto adjust :(

I'm not playing in HD, i'm in PC mode on a 3 years old lcd samsung.. the best calibration so far is 5ms - 75: it's decent, fun-playable, but not perfect at all when it comes to fast tapping or strumming

Any help would be appreciated :)

obvious solution. get a rock band 2 guitar. Its superior to any gh guitar anyway, for the simple fact of auto calibration and solo keys.

if you insist on using inferior hardware, you just need to keep tweaking til you get it right. however given that you play gh as well, it may also be you rather than the calibration. post harmonix gh is really lax on accuracy, especially with hopos and the timing window. you may just have bad timing due to gh play experience.

• 3 weeks later...

^ I just want to say how bullshit that comment was lol. The Xplorer guitar from GH2 is far and above the best guiter peripheral ever released. It may not have the bells and whistles of the newer guitars, but it's light weight and smooth fretting make it THE premier choice, ESPECIALLY for HOPOs. The RB guitars hurt your fingers due to the forced pressing of the frets. I've had like 5 guitars now and the Xplorer is hands down the best....for me. It doesn't matter what game I'm playing, GH or RB, I'm stellar with it. Sad that it's been like 6 years since GH2 came out and it's still the best for playing. Far from the best looking and I'll be the last to say the damn thing looks realistic, but it's the most....functional.

Also, back to the topic, all I can say is to keep tweaking it. I have a 50" Plasma that I sit literally 3 feet away from and at first I thought my problem (missed notes) on RB3 was the calibration, but it was just me. Once I got re-adjusted to the square notes from the round notes from GH (which I prefer), I had no problems. I still have trouble on some songs, though :-/. Namely Green Grass and High Tides. There's this part in the second solo that has you hitting the same frets repeatedly, and for some reason the game isn't registering each of my individual strums and I end up messing that part up horribly ><.

Agreed, the Xplorer is the best guitar I have played, and I have a RB1 guitar sitting in the closet because it sux. Been using my xplorer for over 3 years now and it's still rocking.

Also agreed that it is likely you being used to GH's loose timing windows, and you likely just need to relearn the new one. The 'manual calibration' is a joke though and it will maybe get you in the right neighborhood. A lot of it will be trial and error and adjusting the numbers in increments to get you where you need to be.

I can understand why people would use the xplorer, it was the best gh guitar they made. Although thats not really saying much. Compared to the rb2 guitars, the only thing better on the xplorer is the clicky strumbar. But at this point I feel like people use it more out if nostalgia than anything else.. or maybe just because the later gh controllers and the rb1 fender werent very good. But i see little excuse now that the rb2 one has been out so long.

Personally i play on the rb pbass, which is far and above the best fake plastic guitar for either game. not only do you have clicky strumbars, you have the solo keys too. I dont get how some of you play rb without the solo keys... the only downside is the whammy knob isnt as easy to use as a whammy bar, and it doesnt have the auto calibrate as far as i know.

I can't use the solo buttons, they are way too close together for anyone with good sized hands. The regular buttons on the RB guitars aren't very good for feeling where you are, and you need to exert more pressure to activate the buttons which tires your fingers more & quicker, AND the edges of the buttons irritated my fingers when playing for a while. The click on xplorers is excessive, but a lot of people need it to keep the beat.

I have not tried a p-bass, because no one I know IRL has one. I have used a good number of different GH and a few RB guitars though. I will say the RB3 guitar is a LOT better than the RB1 guitar, but I'm not going to run out and buy one, even if something happens to my xplorer. Not sure what would happen in that case, but I don't play guitar much these days, so it's not a big deal at the moment. ;)

I can't use the solo buttons, they are way too close together for anyone with good sized hands. The regular buttons on the RB guitars aren't very good for feeling where you are, and you need to exert more pressure to activate the buttons which tires your fingers more & quicker, AND the edges of the buttons irritated my fingers when playing for a while. The click on xplorers is excessive, but a lot of people need it to keep the beat.

I have not tried a p-bass, because no one I know IRL has one. I have used a good number of different GH and a few RB guitars though. I will say the RB3 guitar is a LOT better than the RB1 guitar, but I'm not going to run out and buy one, even if something happens to my xplorer. Not sure what would happen in that case, but I don't play guitar much these days, so it's not a big deal at the moment. ;)

I have HUGE hands compared to average. That the solo keys are too small is simply an excuse. I played through rb1 without using them thinking they were small and weird, until i couldnt do green grass, and then trained myself to use them. true, it takes time to get used to, but once you do you wont go back. That said, i usually play guitar exclusively on the solo keys, and bass on the regular keys. Either way, anyone who says the solo keys are too small didnt bother playing with them very long... and my bear paw like hands are proof enough of that.