Deja Vu: Duke Nukem Forever

From what I've heard from people here on the forums and Australian friends on XBL, this game reeks of what made Duke Nukem Forever such a flop. I will be canceling my pre-order that's already paid off in full towards the purchase of another game. Gearbox needs to sort their priorities and realize that they have something truly special before they ruin everything (Borderlands). They need to stick with Borderlands since that's what they've done best recently and then come up with new creative IPs. They keep jumping in to play the hero role by trying to salvage games that have been in development hell for a decade and it's really not working out for them. Don't buy the game to give them any false impressions. I'm not one to usually judge a game before I've played it myself, but gauging by how disappointed and underwhelmed I was by DNF, I'm not wasting my time with Aliens: CM if the general consensus so far is that it's just as bad. Haven't heard one positive or glowing impression/review for it yet.

Edited by x RadicalAura x

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not this shit again if it ends up being the case

i'm one of the few that actually enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever and the graphics were fairly good, Not everything can look like Crysis or whatever else that looks great these days

and i also grew up on those old FPS games.

Edited by Kazenji

From what I've heard from people here on the forums and Australian friends on XBL, this game reeks of what made Duke Nukem Forever such a flop. I will be canceling my pre-order that's already paid off in full towards the purchase of another game. Gearbox needs to sort their priorities and realize that they have something truly special before they ruin everything (Borderlands). They need to stick with Borderlands since that's what they've done best recently and then come up with new creative IPs. They keep jumping in to play the hero role by trying to salvage games that have been in development hell for a decade and it's really not working out for them. Don't buy the game to give them any false impressions. I'm not one to usually judge a game before I've played it myself, but gauging by how disappointed and underwhelmed I was by DNF, I'm not wasting my time with Aliens: CM if the general consensus so far is that it's just as bad. Haven't heard one positive or glowing impression/review for it yet.

Stopped reading at "From what I heard". To the people who say this game sucks. You must want graphics like Crysis for every game, seriously most of the complaints are about graphics...guess what the same was said about Dragons Dogma too and people jumped on the bandwagon for that. Watch some good quality gameplay vids and not from people who suck. It seems to me there are a lot of sheeple. If you don't want to get it based on what others think that's fine but beware you may actually like it and miss out.

Jesus, all I see people complaining about are the graphics, and some clunky gameplay.

What about the story? Can anyone mention something about that? Does it have a nice pacing? Good script/dialogue/voice acting?

sadly no the voice acting is terrible, story is awful especially the ending only a couple parts that were kinda funny

The sound is great, everything else is just abysmal. Absolutely atrocious textures, screen tearing is everywhere, framerate looks to be 30fps, hit detection problems on enemies, and the shooting itself just feels...off. The story is nothing special. Three missions into the campaign and and a few hours in multiplayer and I'm ready to return this piece of shit.

Christ, the multiplayer. Haven't had a single game that wasn't lagging like crazy. Not one.

People claiming that you'll like the game as long as you like the Alien films are deluding themselves. The guys claiming 'hurr not every game looks like Crysis' baffle me. This game looks and plays just like Duke Nukem Forever, that is to say, it has all the appeal of a school bus fire. Steer clear.

It's funny how all of the Alien fans are dead-set on buying the game and are willing to accept sub-par graphics, terrible gameplay, poor gun-handling, bad narrative, and lacking dialogue. Yet all of the people have actually have played the game are pretty much backing up what I said, with very few outliers. Case in point: the game isn't worth $60. I'll personally be waiting for it to hit the bargain bin, if I even decide to play it at all. Duke Nukem Forever is $3.99 right now. I'd rather put the $60 towards games like BioShock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Metro: Last Light, or hell, even the season pass for Borderlands 2 to support Gearbox's better and more well-rounded project.

To the thick-headed TC: GEARBOX DID NOT DEVELOP DNF! They bought the rights to a nearly finished game, and released it.

Yeah, Aliens: CM is about three years late, it does look a LITTLE dated, but there's no possible way it will be as bad as DNF.

You clearly didn't coherently read what I said. I am fully aware that 3D Realms what the predominant developer of DNF, but Gearbox "salvaged" it from development hell and in my opinion, they need to STOP doing that. It's wasted budgets, wasted development talent, and the end result doesn't even satisfy the majority of gamers. It's killing Gearbox's reputation. I loved the Brothers in Arms games and Borderlands 1 & 2, but these "nostalgic" pieces of shit games like DNF and Aliens: CM aren't doing them any justice.

It's funny how all of the Alien fans are dead-set on buying the game and are willing to accept sub-par graphics, terrible gameplay, poor gun-handling, bad narrative, and lacking dialogue. Yet all of the people have actually have played the game are pretty much backing up what I said, with very few outliers. Case in point: the game isn't worth $60. I'll personally be waiting for it to hit the bargain bin, if I even decide to play it at all. Duke Nukem Forever is $3.99 right now. I'd rather put the $60 towards games like BioShock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Metro: Last Light, or hell, even the season pass for Borderlands 2 to support Gearbox's better and more well-rounded project.

I couldn't care less if the game resembled that of a PS1 classic. Fans of the games series will play and buy it either way just like they did with DNF. Its not all about graphics, gameplay Etc.Etc. Its about playing something you love and you've been a fan of for many years. Thats why these games are rescued and finally published and I applaud GearBox for that.

I couldn't care less if the game resembled that of a PS1 classic. Fans of the games series will play and buy it either way just like they did with DNF. Its not all about graphics, gameplay Etc.Etc. Its about playing something you love and you've been a fan of for many years. Thats why these games are rescued and finally published and I applaud GearBox for that.

I'd prefer new IPs. Conceptually, Furious 4 (which is now being re-worked as a new IP) seems better to me than any of these old antiquated games that Gearbox is trying to "rescue." There's too much hype generated around all of them and then they wind up disappointing the majority of us.

Everyone I played with was also from Australia. Full bar connections and lag everywhere. You get stuck on the environment constantly.

Why the fuck is everyone defending this? This game isn't just mediocre, it's a complete travesty. Disgraceful. Utter trash. No wonder it broke street date; an effort to get some sales before the reviews go online perhaps?