Play in Online Mode

ThrawnOmega

IMO, skip the offline and only play this game in online mode.

The reason for this is that your level progress / completion medals don't carry over between online and offline. If you hit level 70 in offline and then go to online for the first time, you'd have to start from mission 1 and work your way up all over again.

Thankfully, armor and found weapons DO cross over.

The only downside to playing Online is you can't pause a mission.

You can make all the slots in an online game private and still play Solo if you want.

By doing it this way, you have all your completion progress in Online, so when you get to the parts where you really want other players, you don't have to do much over again.

EDIT: I've found the community for this game so far to be awesome. Everyone I've matched up with has been helpful, a team player, and there's a lot of friendly back-and-forth with tips and tricks. Exactly what I'd want in a LOOOONG, coop-centric game.

Edited by ThrawnOmega

While I understand the reasoning behind that decision, I think it could have been better implemented. Sandlot wanted to prevent players with underdeveloped classes from teaming up with other players with much better weapons and armour, allowing them to piggyback on the latter and complete missions much more difficult (and rewarding) than they would normally be able to on their own.

What they should have allowed is the reverse: letting your online progress carry over to your offline progress. There'd be absolutely no harm in that.

I think there are over 80 stages to get through (2017 had 56 IIRC).. Even on normal some of the later levels are a tad challenging.. So its best to go back to a few of the earlier stages and farm on higher levels for better weapons.

This is gonna be a long haul game that you ain't gonna finish in a week (achievement wise).

I think there are over 80 stages to get through (2017 had 56 IIRC).. Even on normal some of the later levels are a tad challenging.. So its best to go back to a few of the earlier stages and farm on higher levels for better weapons.

This is gonna be a long haul game that you ain't gonna finish in a week (achievement wise).

the long haul doesn't bother me as i 1k'd EDF:I.A.

im more worried about having my levels reset if i join online after doing the 12 missions offline, i always thought they all counted online and offline, im pretty sure you could do all the levels either online or offline or a combination of both in EDF:I.A.

it's pretty stupid if you have to do every level for offline and then all the levels for online.

the long haul doesn't bother me as i 1k'd EDF:I.A.

im more worried about having my levels reset if i join online after doing the 12 missions offline, i always thought they all counted online and offline, im pretty sure you could do all the levels either online or offline or a combination of both in EDF:I.A.

it's pretty stupid if you have to do every level for offline and then all the levels for online.

Yeah you need to do them all offline or online. Say you're on mission 12 offline then go to online mode you would only be able to do the first mission.

So if you plan on playing online at some point you may as well play online mode all the time (you can make it so nobody can join if you want to play solo)

From What I've played online it feels like they've done it so like its 2 separate games. 1 for offline, 1 for online.. The one good thing about it is if you get some decent weapons from single player, you can carry them over to online.. But ONLY if you change the level to match the level of the weapon (Easy - Hard etc etc). But I do think they have done it so that its either online or offline, not a combination of both... Hard to tell unless someones actually done it.

IMO, skip the offline and only play this game in online mode.

The reason for this is that your level progress / completion medals don't carry over between online and offline. If you hit level 70 in offline and then go to online for the first time, you'd have to start from mission 1 and work your way up all over again.

Thankfully, armor and found weapons DO cross over.

The only downside to playing Online is you can't pause a mission.

You can make all the slots in an online game private and still play Solo if you want.

By doing it this way, you have all your completion progress in Online, so when you get to the parts where you really want other players, you don't have to do much over again.

EDIT: I've found the community for this game so far to be awesome. Everyone I've matched up with has been helpful, a team player, and there's a lot of friendly back-and-forth with tips and tricks. Exactly what I'd want in a LOOOONG, coop-centric game.

I totally disagree. Having completed the Japanese version, I know the missions and everything already. I also know that the weapon restrictions online make it suck horribly. It's much easier offline until you get to Inferno. Even then, when you play online, the enemies' health is multiplied based on how many players are in the lobby. I've tested this.

I totally disagree. Having completed the Japanese version, I know the missions and everything already. I also know that the weapon restrictions online make it suck horribly. It's much easier offline until you get to Inferno. Even then, when you play online, the enemies' health is multiplied based on how many players are in the lobby. I've tested this.

Kinda like Borderlands.. The more players.. The tougher the enemies..

If anything I prefer it when they do that. Just as long as you get better weapons at the end of it though.

Yeah you need to do them all offline or online. Say you're on mission 12 offline then go to online mode you would only be able to do the first mission.

So if you plan on playing online at some point you may as well play online mode all the time (you can make it so nobody can join if you want to play solo)

ok cheers.

i'll do the online way playing solo at certain points, i don't see the point in having offline mode really when you can set the online to solo.

• 2 weeks later...
online is going to be very hard on solo. As you can only use weapons that match the chosen difficulty level.. And some of the later levels are really tricky to say the least where you'll need more powerful weapons.

Does this not apply to playing offline then? i.e can you farm say the first mission on hard to get better weapons then use the use them to make normal much easier for example?

Does this not apply to playing offline then? i.e can you farm say the first mission on hard to get better weapons then use the use them to make normal much easier for example?

Right. No weapon restrictions offline. You need 70% completion online to unlock the restrictions. Also, playing online solo makes the enemies just as hard as playing 4 player. The enemy health multiplier is like:

1/4 players: 3x

2 players: 1.86x

3 players: 2.5x

Offline there doesn't appear to be a difference between solo and split-screen. It's obviously easier to finish offline. The only real benefit to online is that split-screen online gives both classes weapons, while offline only the class picking them up gets them. Armor always counts for both classes and double if you use 2 of the same class.

You need 70% completion online to unlock the restrictions.

That's nice and all, but will it make much difference? If you're skipping the Easy difficulty and only doing the ones tied to achievements, you'll be able to make use of this halfway through your Inferno playthrough.

Also, playing online solo makes the enemies just as hard as playing 4 player. The enemy health multiplier is like:

1/4 players: 3x

2 players: 1.86x

3 players: 2.5x

WHAT?! Sorry for asking but are you sure about these multipliers? The one for playing online solo makes no sense!

The only real benefit to online is that split-screen online gives both classes weapons, while offline only the class picking them up gets them. Armor always counts for both classes and double if you use 2 of the same class.

I wasn't aware of that. It seems like an elegant solution.

WHAT?! Sorry for asking but are you sure about these multipliers? The one for playing online solo makes no sense!

Yep. It's on the japanese wiki here plus I've spent enough time on it to see the difference playing with different numbers of people.

Well, I've just started playing this offline solo and already have been re-playing level 6 (the first underground/tunnel type level) on Hard and found an AF18-RA and Stingray M3. If I go to play online on Normal difficulty I cannot use these weapons as they exceed the maximum weapon level for that difficulty. So offline seems to much better if you're playing solo? I also found the AF-19 on this level offline which is just about powerful enough to play level 6 on Inferno to get more powerful drops and make Hard/Hardest a bit easier.

Viper is correct, play OFFLINE, its much easier until you get to Inferno as you can use weapons which are only dropped on Inferno and of a high level to play on lower difficulties. When you are ready to play Inferno, either try it solo or go online to do it with others. I'm breezing through Hard at the moment with weapons dropped on Inferno level 6 and a few others on Hardest.

Edited by Ratpoizen

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...