How to save HDD space / what files to delete

Rapturous Rich

(Can we get a sticky up in here? Just so any newcomers might see it)

Straight from the guys at DICE:

How to save space on your Xbox 360 HDD.

Have an Xbox 360 where you are constantly juggling items to get the free hard disk space that you need? You can potentially save more than 4GB worth of hard disk space by deleting a few obsolete Battlefield 3 files. Sound good? Then just follow the instructions below.

NOTE: Make sure to follow the below instructions carefully so you don’t have to re-download any essential files unnecessarily.

The listed files below can safely be removed from your Xbox 360 hard drive:

Rent a Server/E-sports Update (1.1GB)

Multiplayer Update 4 (1.5GB)

Multiplayer Update 5 (1.8GB)

DO NOT remove any other files from your HDD as the other packages are required to run Battlefield 3 and its expansion packs/DLC files.

Edited by Rapturous Rich

Why can these be removed without having an effect on the game? What is the point of EA/DICE providing them if they aren't required and players don't suffer by not having them?

It doesn't matter, what Rich posted is taken straight from the EA website. Delete it and rejoice.

https://help.ea.com/article/which-updates-are-necessary-to-play-battlefield-3

Since the game is probably done barring minor updates, it would be nice if they took all of the unnecessary updates down completely and made one update that includes everything. It's certainly alot more confusing than it needs to be the way it is.

Edited by WalterWhite

Why can these be removed without having an effect on the game? What is the point of EA/DICE providing them if they aren't required and players don't suffer by not having them?

Presumably their useful contents have been included within Multiplayer Update 6?

It doesn't matter, what Rich posted is taken straight from the EA website. Delete it and rejoice.

It matters to me. I'm curious. I'm not disputing what he's saying, I just want to know.

Presumably their useful contents have been included within Multiplayer Update 6?

If that was the case, then Update 5 would have been mandatory before Update 6 came out.

• 3 weeks later...

Can we please try to keep the ridiculously derailed pseudo-arguments out of the threads, please? At least the useful ones? I mean I think I lurk this particular section of the forum the most when it comes to the Moderating staff, and I try to keep the atmosphere pretty relaxed. Please don't take that as a sign that the forum needs more spam.

Anyway, I will pin this for you, Rich... because I happen to think it's quite helpful. I know I still have those updates clogging up space on my Hard Drive.

They should probably remove the ability to download those files at all... or at least change the descriptions to read "This file is no longer required!".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...