Beyond fail

1- Local co-op only...I get it it's an arcade game. But once again THQ and their sub-dev-houses have shown that they are in no way with the times. The only logic behind releasing such a product in this state is to make up for the costs of Space Marine in advance, which went over budget, behind schedule, for a title that is in a niche market, in a down economy, and a struggling studio. Oh yea if you didn't know THQ let go of this dev-house prior to this game being released. Outside of the economic conditions, that's a good sign your devs sucked.

2- Havok engine = aka your console will lockup randomly at the worst times imaginable mid-level. (Has already occurred for me on mission 2 in the room with the energy towers)

3- Terrible camera angles/locks & lighting. Due to the control setup the camera is on a scripted follow based on your position on the screen. However after some cut-scenes you will want to backtrack for goodies. However the camera was so poorly designed that to do so you must first break camera "lock" by moving forward a fair bit and then turning around(which in turn can get you killed unfairly, or prevent you from ever going back as in some cases a door will close behind when you move forward).

While I've always enjoyed the darker concepts of WH. There is a right and wrong way to do dark atmospheric lighting in a game. This game missed the mark greatly in that department. It's kinda like the difference between good and bad horror movies. You ever notice how some directors can make a scene look dark as night, while still showing you everything that's happening clearly. Then you have the B horror movies where your TV just goes black, not for visual effect, but because the director didn't know how to set the scene lighting properly.

4- Botched core WH mechanics for the sake of making an over-glorified remake of Asteroid. What do I mean? Well in table form WH40K a plasma cannon can 1 shot a tank with a good shot(at least back when I played). Why then must it be watered down to the point it takes 3+ shots to down a simple orc on stage 1. I get that things must be changed when the medium does for the sake of gameplay. However everything I've seen thus far just screams lets remake asteroids and put WH40K skin on it. Rather than make a WH40K game, that plays like asteroids.

I could rant on, but suffice to say. As someone with the mark of khorne inked on their wrist I was disappointed...even for an arcade game. If you need a WH fix prior to SM, I'd save your 10$ and mess around on DoW2 for a while longer.

I agree with what you said about this game but I still enjoy this game and so much fun. Hopeful THQ update game for online coop but I don't think it will happen because THQ want people play this game for fun and earn unlock weapons and stuffs to carry into Space Marine when this one come out September. I am guess Kill Team is all about part of unlocks into Space Marine. :)

Yea I plan to 100% it as I already spent the money. And I can't say I hate the game, as there are far far worse I've played. It just felt cheap and dated, even for an arcade game. And as a fan of WH40k and its' concepts I figured other fans should know how a fan felt about it.

Yea I plan to 100% it as I already spent the money. And I can't say I hate the game, as there are far far worse I've played. It just felt cheap and dated, even for an arcade game. And as a fan of WH40k and its' concepts I figured other fans should know how a fan felt about it.

Yeah of course it is. I hopeful Space Marnie way better then Kill Team. :)

Well, I've only played through the very first mission a single time, and thus far, while it IS watered-down in terms of what 40k is all about, as Primarch said...I've played much worse. It IS kinda fun to run around gunning down orks as a space marine, asteroids with a Warhammer skin or not. :p

My personal complaint? Where the heck are the Black Templars and Space Wolves?!

There have been a couple of issues with the camera getting stuck, though yet to lock up and in all honesty I can't see it happening as such.

There are also certainly things that they could have done better, such as the co-op being online as well. Since there isn't really a story, an army painter would have been nice. Perhaps a few more character/customisation choices, seemed perfect for a Space Hulk scenario with Terminators.

Having said all that I myself am really loving it, as it is pretty much entirely what I expected it to be. I didn't expect something that was totally accurate to the background and table top, I probably would have felt it a little restricted in what I could have viably used.

Im on the fence about getting this, I do love the 40k idea, but im not a major THQ fan, please a show of hands as to if this should be a hit or miss?

If in doubt wait till its on sale, as there is no online co-op you will be missing nothing by waiting 2-3 months

It shouldn't lock up frequently. But I included it in my list for two reasons.

1 - I did experience a lockup as mentioned on level 2 when you're clearing the towers to disable the field blocking the door. Console had only been on for a couple minutes, and is a new slim that hasn't had any heat issues thus far.

2- I have a fair bit of experience with games using the Havok engine. Both on the game side and dev side of it. Havok has a core flaw in that the geometry calculations it does can end in non-valid returns that have no catches to prevent the entire engine from hanging. Doesn't happen just a ton, but you will see it eventually in almost any game using the engine. It occurs almost always during or right as an explosion animation is starting. Some devs do a better job than others working around this. How well THQ UK did I can't say yet as 10k kills later I'm still sitting on only that one crash myself.

Well, I've only played through the very first mission a single time, and thus far, while it IS watered-down in terms of what 40k is all about, as Primarch said...I've played much worse. It IS kinda fun to run around gunning down orks as a space marine, asteroids with a Warhammer skin or not. :p

Probably intended for a DLC option at a later point. if they planned for another campaign using the same engine, then it'd make sense to save some of the more well known chapters for it.

Probably another enemy to focus on as well if it does get made.

the camera angles are a little annoying but whatever. they did a better job making this game than i could have so i play the game for what it is... and i havent locked up once... been playing it all day finished the first three missions with all classes and finished the fourth with one so far...

my only complaints are what has already been mentioned. no online and the few chapters for selection (mostly i wanted the space wolves!)

the game is what it is and i think it is great. a nice little arcade game that jumps into the wh40k universe. i for one am extremely excited that gw has finally expanded the universe beyond books, tabletop, and the dow franchise. i am so fin happy they made a movie (which was pretty good, not big enough battles for me), came out with more models, and now two games...! hopefully the franchise spreads even more and the story reaches halo production! how sweet would it be to get an enormous multi going similar to the one in endwar with millions playing the races and a constant struggle for the sake of humanity?!

the game is what it is and i think it is great. a nice little arcade game that jumps into the wh40k universe. i for one am extremely excited that gw has finally expanded the universe beyond books, tabletop, and the dow franchise. i am so fin happy they made a movie (which was pretty good, not big enough battles for me), came out with more models, and now two games...! hopefully the franchise spreads even more and the story reaches halo production! how sweet would it be to get an enormous multi going similar to the one in endwar with millions playing the races and a constant struggle for the sake of humanity?!

HAHAHA you really show your age there. WH40k has had more games than tabletop since well ages ago. Dating back to 1992 with Space Crusade. The first I played was Final Liberation which was an awesome precursor to Chaos Gate, which lead to Dawn of War (yes I'm skipping the gaps and goin with the gold).

Also for the record, while it would be nice if they added more chapters you can be pretty well certain they won't. Not trying to be negative Nancy but just look at the WH40k game track record.

Outside of this game, every non-RTS in the WH40k universe has always been Ultra Marines/Blood Angels vs Orcs and/or Tyranids. All the other armies, all the other factions are relegated to RTS games. Why they do this I have no clue, but just follow their history and it's obvious to see why I'm a bit skeptic of anything changing.

You want an awesome game...with one of the best stories in their universe. Take the space marine engine/gameplay. And instead of telling yet another blah blah boring Space Marine save the forge world story we've seen/read/played a million times. Bam how bout letting us play Horus, and make it the Horus heresy. What do you do in this game? Betray humanity, steal several chapters of marines, make pacts with demons, invade Earth, kill several well known Primarchs. Oh wow who's the final boss....the Emperor...what happens when you win?? You die, and the future champion of Chaos rips your hand off. That is WH40k, and that is why these games suck. Because there are a million awesome stories out of the various Codex's and novels. And yet time and time again GamesWorkshop is entirely complacent with THQ pumping out steaming pile after pile of bad retold stories about the same army every freaking time.

Or why not an Eldar centric game. Could tell the story of the birth of Slaanesh through their eyes. Play through the destruction of their planet, the birth of the craft worlds, and the Avatars.....but no lets play with more space marines and bolters, and pretend it's Call of Duty - Future Warfare 7.

I agree with what you said about this game but I still enjoy this game and so much fun. Hopeful THQ update game for online coop but I don't think it will happen because THQ want people play this game for fun and earn unlock weapons and stuffs to carry into Space Marine when this one come out September. I am guess Kill Team is all about part of unlocks into Space Marine. :)

You make it sound as if there are tons of unlocks where there is only 1 for the full retail game but stay happy with that thought.

I'm giving this game a 6, there is no online co-op. Lazy.

Because there are a million awesome stories out of the various Codex's and novels. And yet time and time again GamesWorkshop is entirely complacent with THQ pumping out steaming pile after pile of bad retold stories about the same army every freaking time.

We get multiple Space Marine games because thats what sells. Space Marine products vastly outsell anything else GW puts out, so very few game developers would deviate from that proven fanbase.

The last time they did we got Fire Warrior, which didnt exactly set the charts on fire.

I'm with you, i'd love to see innovative and different takes on the 40k setting. If we must have marines, then have a Horus Heresy story or let us play as Chaos Space Marines.

Or why not an Eldar centric game. Could tell the story of the birth of Slaanesh through their eyes. Play through the destruction of their planet, the birth of the craft worlds, and the Avatars.....but no lets play with more space marines and bolters, and pretend it's Call of Duty - Future Warfare 7.

Careful what you wish for, the last time we got an Eldar based game it was Rites of War. No one wants a repeat of that.

As for this game, i've enjoyed it so far with no problems or crashes. The biggest flaw, one which i cannot fathom why they didnt do it, is the lack of online co-op. Given the material, the four different classes, the gameplay itself, the fact they didnt include it is baffling.

after getting to the end of level 4, i have to re do this list a bit.

--unskippable cutscenes: today there should be no excuse for having them

--going into slow motion almost every other enemy you kill: is that really necessary? nope

--kill rooms: areas you cant leave until the 500 enemies that spawn in it are dead. for reals?

--no online co-op: self explanatory and nothing but laziness

--insanely low health: when you have to fight endless waves of enemies who take several hits each (even with high damage weapons), continuously spawn nonstop and swarm you right after you kill the previous wave, it would sure be nice if you didnt die in 5 friggin seconds

--checkpoint system BLOWS GORILLA NUTS: OMFG. why does each level have only like 3 or 4 checkpoints each? hmmm, might have something to do with the devs hoping doing so will make the game longer (seem longer with all the parts you have to do over again). all it does is piss me off to no end :mad:

im at the Hive Tyrant at the end of level 4. after several tries i finally killed him, only to be killed by his minions a couple seconds later. but i KILLED HIM!!! shouldnt it go into a cutscene or give me a checkpoint right there or count for SOMETHING?! he's the BOSS of the level, right? usually the level is over once you kill the boss!! what complete garbage.

as i like the 40K universe, i really wanted to like this game, but now i see its nothing but a rush job some THQ interns made over the weekend to help with the cost of Space Marine, which probably went over budget. no higher than a 5/10. i really feel like i wasted 800 points. :( guess its back to DOW2 until Space Marine.

Edited by shinobigarth

4- Botched core WH mechanics for the sake of making an over-glorified remake of Asteroid. What do I mean? Well in table form WH40K a plasma cannon can 1 shot a tank with a good shot(at least back when I played). Why then must it be watered down to the point it takes 3+ shots to down a simple orc on stage 1. I get that things must be changed when the medium does for the sake of gameplay. However everything I've seen thus far just screams lets remake asteroids and put WH40K skin on it. Rather than make a WH40K game, that plays like asteroids.

Yes, it's very much like asteroids. All the orks I've killed split into multiple smaller faster orks. It was also common while I was playing it for orks to mindlessly walk in one direction, walk off screen, then loop to the opposite side of the screen. (?) It doesn't play like asteroids at all, past the fact you shoot things. I can understand the disappointment if you seriously expected an ARCADE game to perfectly recreate the table version, but I'm pretty sure that isn't what they were trying to do. I got stuck for quite a while at the end of the game, but still was having so much fun I didn't care. I'll give you some points on camera angles, at least in co-op. Co-op seemed to have had a few odd bugs that it doesn't have it single player. Overall it's a good game, stop calling it an asteroids rip-off (Seriously?) and have fun.

--Unskippable cutscenes: Today there should be no excuse for having them

--Going into slow motion almost every other enemy you kill: Is that really necessary? Nope

--Not being completely invincible: I don't know how to play the game and die every few seconds! Everything should die if I even look at it, taking 2 whole hits is just too much! I should also be completely immune to all attacks because things such as dodging are too hard for someone of my intelligence!

--Checkpoint system IS JUST FINE: OMFG I'm a noob. Why does each level have only like 3 or 4 checkpoints each? I suck really bad and need a checkpoint after every kill!

As I like the 40K universe, I really wanted to like this game, but now I see its nothing but a rush job some THQ interns made over the weekend.

I agree with you on all of these, at least after editing them. Unskippable cutscenes were kind of annoying after you'd already seen them 5 times. I'm also with you on the slow motion, although several times it was awesome most of the time it wasn't necessary. If they had made it possible to turn them off in the options it would have been nice. There were some points it seemed rushed, but I still really enjoyed it.

Edited by Battletick
Made more of an ass out of my self ;)

My exact complaint as well, there are hundreds of chapters to choose from, thousands if you include chaos/renegade. They picked very generic ones. I am playing as an imperial fist librarian, because it looks kinda like a black templar. Also the librarian should have more than one attack... something to boost their long range capability. Also, no chaplains?

Edited by Raider

There were some points it seemed rushed, but I still really enjoyed it.

I'm pretty sure I did say that. Kind of. I had fun with it, and since I expected an arcade game I wasn't let down. Try and tell me that using the rapid fire power-up with the focus fire ability was no fun at all. :uzi:

Glad you weren't offended, I just have an incredibly sarcastic personality.

that was fun somewhat but neither one really lasts that long and sometimes you can still get swarmed due to the ridiculous amount of orks on screen at once if you arent watching behind you.

also did you notice the aiming isnt very precise? seems like only about 16 directions for aiming, in a 2 stick shooter in this day and age, that is embarrassingly low. there should be enough directions that you can hit anywhere on screen from anywhere (on a flat plane at least). i cant count how many times i had to move side to side to line up a shot. thats partly why i switched to a melee class from the Devastator.

like i said, they could have spent more time on this and it could have turned out much, much better. it feels like only a 400 point game to me.

Edited by shinobigarth