Gameplay

M4RRRV3L

Probably the most fundamental difference between it and your average horror title these days is the lack of a weapon. You literally don't have any means of defense. You either run or die.

That's why there aren't a lot of enemies in the game. The whole approach is interesting and I believe has potential.

I agree. Run or Die..perfect. I have just started the game, but I am sure you will be able to outwit some of the monsters i.e. electrocute them in water and wire, as I have seen it laying out there. I will post later. I enjoy the game, so far.

i thought the graphics looked good on ps4, i haven't played it on the Xbox one yet still waiting for it to download. i thought the game play was fun and different from more traditional survival horror games. You don't have a weapon or any way to defend yourself, you can hide under tables, beds and lockers to get away form enemy's. i liked the game on how different it seemed from other horror games. definitely would recommend this to my friends and survival horror fans

There have only been a few of these no weapon survival horror games, and that's really too bad. It's so hard to feel scared of anything when you're lugging around an arsenal of weaponry.

Indeed.

Outlast is much closer to a 'real' horror situation than any horror game I can think of in recent memory. The original Condemned was great, though it did have weapons and more action.

I haven't played Outlast yet, but I started playing no-weapon type horror games with Penumbra and Amnesia. I feel like, just having watched some footage of the game, I'll still prefer Penumbra to everything else. But, time will tell, I suppose. Just not sure I wanna drop $20+ on the game and DLC quite yet.

A lot of people mentioned the no weapon aspect, but I have to say that is not really a factor in this game as far as the horror goes. There just aren't enough enemies to really give you much trouble in that regard(in comparison to, say, the limited ammo but still plenty of enemies ready to one shot you around the corner in the original REs). And what enemies there are it is often ridiculously easy to avoid, even in a "no hide" playthrough. This game's horror is mostly story and atmosphere with some jump scares thrown in, and lacks the raw tension due to lack of or few weapons in games that do rely on that as a gimmick.

Oh, and Penumbra technically had weapons. I never went anywhere without a random object to throw at dogs repeatedly in that game. :D

A lot of people mentioned the no weapon aspect, but I have to say that is not really a factor in this game as far as the horror goes. There just aren't enough enemies to really give you much trouble in that regard(in comparison to, say, the limited ammo but still plenty of enemies ready to one shot you around the corner in the original REs). And what enemies there are it is often ridiculously easy to avoid, even in a "no hide" playthrough. This game's horror is mostly story and atmosphere with some jump scares thrown in, and lacks the raw tension due to lack of or few weapons in games that do rely on that as a gimmick.

Oh, and Penumbra technically had weapons. I never went anywhere without a random object to throw at dogs repeatedly in that game. :D

The reason there aren't many enemies is exactly that: you have no weapons. So in a way, the small number of enemies actually makes sense from a design perspective.

Not that I didn't like the original REs where you barely had ammo and a whole lot of enemies, of course.

• 2 years later...