"Your Shape" in an apartment?

I'm thinking about picking up Your Shape for my wife and I but we live on the second floor of an apartment and I'm wondering how many of the exercises involve a lot of running, jumping, etc. Our downstairs neighbor wasn't too happy with our recent Kinect Sports purchase. Apparently the volleyball and track and field events caused her whole apartment to shake. Her words not mine but I would still like to know if it's even worth picking up if we can't even participate in some of the more active workout routines.

If you choose cardio workouts in the "Personal Trainer" section, there can be a lot of moves which involve jumping (whether on the spot or from side to side) - I've not seen any "running on the spot" moves like there are in Kinect Sports.

Sticking to Yoga & Cardio Boxing you'll be stepping at most, with no heavy impact (even the "rope skipping" can be done by bouncing up and down).

Ignore the mini-games (once you have the cheevies from them), and do what I'm doing now (Cardio Boxing) and you won't bother them too much - we have pretty much the same issue with the neighbours not being too happy, especially when heavy footed 6 & 7 year olds try to run on the spot for Kinect Sports. :-P

We're happily on the bottom floor. Kinect Sports would not be an option otherwise. But so far I haven't had to much jumping around in the game, but I've only played it two days.

The zen series will have no problem. And for games, the only one that involves and stomping or stepping is the color race. The hoola hoop is low impact, boxing can be as long as you don't stomp on your way down from kneeing a box and the balance game is super easy to do quietly.

I remember living in an apartment downstairs in college and I hated it. The guys above me would work out with weights a lot... I'm guessing that is what they did. It sounded like they dropped the weights directly on the ground and it would rattle the whole ceiling and it sounded like someone would fall through.

All other apartments I lived in, I have made sure I lived upstairs so I didn't have to deal with the noise. Likewise, I always made sure I tried to live relatively quietly so I wouldn't disturb those below me. I'm really glad I live in a house now :) .

Anyways, to get the most out of your workout, you don't want to worry about being soft on the floor. Think about setting up a time (a 30-45 minute time period) with your neighbor that would be your time to work out regularly. Discuss what time of day that you have available that would be least annoying for them. Apartment life is give and take; if you keep your workouts on a regular schedule, they will know what to expect and won't be so PO'd when they have just come from work only to hear you pouncing on the floor above you.

I hope this help... good luck!

I live in an apartment, for the cardio part I just got and bounce on the balls of my feet during the jumping part so i dont make a noise...5 days in and no complaining so i guess its ok...ps. she complains about everything...even my toilet flushing at 3 in the morning...

It does have a good few with running in place and bounding up and down on the floor. A neat idea that one of my friends had was to use foam flooring that people buy for their kids and put that down. It comes in packs of 4 and each block is about 2' X 2'. We have 4 of them and when there is a running or jumping exercise i put these under my feet. It was to help with the impact on my legs, but it also helps reduce the noise.

They come apart easily however, especially with side to side motions so I just pick it off the floor for those exercises. hope this helps!

It does have a good few with running in place and bounding up and down on the floor. A neat idea that one of my friends had was to use foam flooring that people buy for their kids and put that down. It comes in packs of 4 and each block is about 2' X 2'. We have 4 of them and when there is a running or jumping exercise i put these under my feet. It was to help with the impact on my legs, but it also helps reduce the noise.

They come apart easily however, especially with side to side motions so I just pick it off the floor for those exercises. hope this helps!

Thanks, this is a great suggestion. I was actually considering using yoga mats but I thought they would be too thin. I've seen the ones you're talking about though and I might give it a shot.

I think if I just stick to working out at a "normal" time it shouldn't be a problem. The only reason I think our neighbor complained was because we were playing at 11PM at night.