The end of ffxi?

xXARemedyForThisXx

I was wondering what will happen to ffxi when ffxiv comes out September 24 if any body has any clues I really enjoy 11 and would hate for square nix to just cancle it all together , I really hope they drop the price cuz 14$ a month is starting to get quite expensive for a 7 yr old game, post if you got some answers or just agree with me in general ....... FFXI must live on!!!!! :o

As long as people are paying, they won't likely cancel FFXI right out any time soon. But there is the reality of it's population dwindling in the near future, so they are likely going to wrap up any "loss ends" in the game, and stop issuing out "big" content updates from here on out.

I have maintained an FFXI account for about 6 years, and will be going to play FFXIV next month. I won't drop my FFXI account anytime soon, so I can reminisce every here and now, follow it's progress (or lack of), etc. SquareEnix just recently released info about bonuses for FFXIV adopters who still have a FFXI account:

Reduced Monthly Fee

XI and XIV Developer Hiromichi Tanaka had previously hinted at a reduction in the monthly fee of Final Fantasy XI and ZAM has since learned that current XI subscribers will receive a $5.95 base discount when both XI and XIV are registered to the same Square Enix Account. This discount will not apply during a free trial of either games and will only be offered to subscribers who pay by credit card. The discount will only be applied to one XI account per XIV account.

Users debating playing both games will only have until January 2011 to take advantage of the discount. If you do, your base fee for Final Fantasy XI would only be $7.00 versus $12.95!

• 2 weeks later...
and stop issuing out "big" content updates from here on out.

he is of course refering to 11...

Really? with the level cap increasing to 90 in the very near future, and eventually 99, with tons of Abyssea content being released (2 more add ons seems pretty big to me), it seems to me SE is not simply just going to abandon 11 once 14 comes out. I personally know about 100 or so people that plan to play 11 until SE shuts it down, and only then will pick up 14.

I think that even after 14's release, there will still be a lot of life on 11 for a few YEARS to come, even if they have to merge more servers, there will be enough people on 11 to keep it running for a long time.

Judging from the news about FFXIV having a leveling fatigue system, I think most people will just play for a couple hours, then go back to FFXI for the rest of the day.

I think that's how it'll be for me anyway. FFXIV looks great, but I don't think it'll be as fun or challenging as FFXI.

he is of course refering to 11...

Really? with the level cap increasing to 90 in the very near future, and eventually 99, with tons of Abyssea content being released (2 more add ons seems pretty big to me), it seems to me SE is not simply just going to abandon 11 once 14 comes out. I personally know about 100 or so people that plan to play 11 until SE shuts it down, and only then will pick up 14.

I think that even after 14's release, there will still be a lot of life on 11 for a few YEARS to come, even if they have to merge more servers, there will be enough people on 11 to keep it running for a long time.

"BIG" content updates I was referring to, was akin to Wings Of The Goddess, Treasures of Aht Urghan, etc. I don't deny the level cap increases are "big", but the stuff like Abyssea isn't too much different than the past 3 "mini" expansions released last year. New jobs, new maps (not instanced, or small zones) etc is what I considered big. An issue of opinion really...

As I said in my post, I doubt the game is going anywhere. I'm not going anywhere, especially now I pay only 7$ for my FFXI as long as I'm playing FFXIV.

"As long as people are paying, they won't likely cancel FFXI right out any time soon"

It's simple business. If they can still turn a profit, or afford to keep up with fan demand, they will keep the game up. But realistically, I'm more interested in the new game, than FFXI. I have still yet to even level a job to 80... maybe I will play it a bit when the cap is finally at 99. With all my friends gone, not much reason for me to mess around there anymore. Til Nostalgia strikes.