3 Lives Remaining Discussion Thread

You going to use a bracket similar to this?

I looked at that originally, but I actually found it more fun (and surprisingly easier) to go with Kairi's original suggestion of "no brackets." It's the reason I specifically chose 16. Everything less than 16 is doable, but exactly 16 works out extraordinarily well, especially in our given time frame. I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised. Plus it could be fun not knowing who you will face until the next round is posted. :)

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL I was thinking the same thing. I wonder what he would do for a Taylor Swift autograph? I don't have one, just throwing it out there. :p

Get Taylor Swift to sign a bag of marshmallows and we'll be in business:dance:

*Rules n Stuff*

What happens if there is a tie, it's not likely to happen but just in case? Also what if both people fail to score, do both lose a life?

Get Taylor Swift to sign a bag of marshmallows and we'll be in business:dance:

I thought Creech said no more Taylor Swift for you?

What happens if there is a tie, it's not likely to happen but just in case? Also what if both people fail to score, do both lose a life?

Both scenarios would result in both players losing a life. :)

Seems a little unfair, unless both only score 5 or 10:gsicon: :p

I dunno, I think Noz's gif is spot on. :p

Think of it this way, you defeat enemies while playing a level. The very last enemy of the level kills you as you kill it. What happens? You restart the level with one less life.

Better yet, while I know some people consider it a "good strategy" to win by a minimal amount, this should encourage you to try for some cushion to prevent a possible tie or loss. ;)

Edited by Grifter Reborn
Typo...

Think of it this way, you defeat enemies while playing a level. The very last enemy of the level kills you as you kill it. What happens? You restart the level with one less life.

Another way to look at is that sometimes you and an opponent can land the finishing blow at the same time but one person loses first. For example, in Smash Bros two people can hit each other with enough power that they both go flying, but the first person to hit the side of the level dies first and thus loses.

Analogously, you can set the rules in this tourney such that if there is a tie, the first person to have reached the tie score wins.

Another way to look at is that sometimes you and an opponent can land the finishing blow at the same time but one person loses first. For example, in Smash Bros two people can hit each other with enough power that they both go flying, but the first person to hit the side of the level dies first and thus loses.

Analogously, you can set the rules in this tourney such that if there is a tie, the first person to have reached the tie score wins.

You make a good point. I'll run it by my cohorts and let you know the final decision regarding a scoring tie. If both score 0 however, that's still a loss for each member. Non-negotiable. I don't want people signing up to purposely score 0 in these matches.

Ties are probably extremely unlikely in this event. And any pair that does tie at more than 100g without being 1000g or something on the nose would almost certainly be doing it intentionally.

I've spent a few minutes trying to find the clip, so I'll just post the script:

Man 1: What the heck is a tie game?

Man 2: Tie game?

Woman 1: What the hell?

Woman 2: This is outrageous!

Marge: Oh, I've never been so proud of them.

Homer: [weeping] They're both losers. Losers!

You didn't beat your opponent, you lose.

You make a good point. I'll run it by my cohorts and let you know the final decision regarding a scoring tie. If both score 0 however, that's still a loss for each member. Non-negotiable. I don't want people signing up to purposely score 0 in these matches.

As promised, I've heard back from my partners in crime and the final decision is in:

The final decision is that any tie (no matter the gamerscore for that matchup) will result in a lost life for both members.

Disparaging the staff is not a great way to ensure that there will be more events for the Ambassadors. Just so you are aware.

I'm just trying to clarify, one of the biggest faults in the last tournament was the lack of updates, in which I had to go around harassing Yunder to update the thread(s). I was just hoping that this time everything will be on time, wasn't trying to be a dick about it.

I'm just trying to clarify, one of the biggest faults in the last tournament was the lack of updates, in which I had to go around harassing Yunder to update the thread(s). I was just hoping that this time everything will be on time, wasn't trying to be a dick about it.

The speed with which we will be updating the scores and match ups is largely going to be based on how easy the participants make it for us to verify their scores. If people post accurate links in a timely manner, then updates will be quick more often than not. If people post poor links right at the deadline, then updates will likely be delayed until later in the day.

And harassing the staff or generally being high maintenance is also likely to delay the updates. In the first few match ups we are probably going to have a lot of scores to process, and dealing with PMs asking about the match ups will only increase our workload.

The speed with which we will be updating the scores and match ups is largely going to be based on how easy the participants make it for us to verify their scores. If people post accurate links in a timely manner, then updates will be quick more often than not. If people post poor links right at the deadline, then updates will likely be delayed until later in the day.

And harassing the staff or generally being high maintenance is also likely to delay the updates. In the first few match ups we are probably going to have a lot of scores to process, and dealing with PMs asking about the match ups will only increase our workload.

Thanks for the detailed response, in the event that the updates will be delayed will we be informed?

Thanks for the detailed response, in the event that the updates will be delayed will we be informed?

If updates are delayed, barring a catastrophe, they will be delayed to about 6pm PDT. If we were to delay the start of the next match up, we run the risk of this tournament running into GSL/x360a vs PS3T, and that is what we limited participants to try and avoid. Furthermore, in this tournament we are not dealing with members trying to set up a time to meet.

Basically, what I'm getting at is: "Don't worry, we got this covered."

Directly from the OP:

After each match up (end of 4 days), you'll have 12 hours to make sure your scores are posted correctly and another 12 hours to relax. We will tally the scores by 6pm that day (still Pacific time), tell you who won, who lost, who gets the Duck Face award (those who score 0 points) and who you'll be facing next (once again decided by random.org).

Doug and I have this covered. If the zombie plague begins in either Texas or Vancouver, we still have it covered. My guess if the plague has started here or there, it's quickly spiraling out of control everywhere else too. Yet we still will have it covered. ;)

This could be interesting because of the time zones; 12am PST is 8am BST so i'll always be asleep when the last day ends making me unlikely to win a close round if anyone watches my score.

I hadn't considered it before now but it does bias the tournament heavily in the favour of those in the same time zone.

Still, bring it on! I'll just have to dig deep in the evenings to build unassailable leads :uzi:

This could be interesting because of the time zones; 12am PST is 8am BST so i'll always be asleep when the last day ends making me unlikely to win a close round if anyone watches my score.

I hadn't considered it before now but it does bias the tournament heavily in the favour of those in the same time zone.

Still, bring it on! I'll just have to dig deep in the evenings to build unassailable leads :uzi:

On the flip side, you are more likely to be awake when the round starts thus giving you a head start.

On the flip side, you are more likely to be awake when the round starts thus giving you a head start.

Very true, but work will take care of most of that time unfortunately :(

I have a couple of days off next week so i'll be giving it some on those ones particularly.

I've started stocking up my armoury anyway.