This game is pissing me off.

Passchendaele2

Finished the first level "Escape!", then went to Megaton, then was sent to GNR Building Plaza to find about my dad's whereabouts.

So here lies the problem:

I can't even make it that far. Enemies WAY too powerful get in my way.

Did I miss something or what? I'm not that weak, I'm halfway through level 4, which is decent for someone who barely completed one mission.

Anybody has insight? I'm about to throw this game in the garbage bin.

The obvious answer you probably don't want to hear is to level up. Megaton is a small hub of activity where you should be able to pick up on a few side quests (including disarming the bomb which nets quite the exp reward for a low level). Perhaps (and please I'm not trying to insult your gaming ability), but if you haven't you may want to turn down the combat difficulty.

Fallout wasn't meant to level enemies to your current level; depending on the area, the difficulty will likely be alot greater than others. Hmm. If you don't have one already, a Hunting Rifle / Assault Rifle are excellent weapons at a lower level. An Assault Rifle can be found in the school slightly northwest of Megaton, and a Hunting Rifle can be found in Lucas Simms' house near the entrance to Megaton. (lock must be picked, or the key must be pickpocketed from Simms, tip: make a save before trying in case you fail, unless bomb is defused)

Hope this helps!

Edited by Skeetacus

The game can be very frustrating early on. You will need to level up, and dont worry you can change the difficulty to very easy if you have troubles. Go to megaton and start the wasteland survival guide thats kinda like a tutorial mission. Also use the vault guide its like the bible

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Fallout_3

The fact you called escape a level makes me think RPGs just arent your thing

Meh.

I absolutelty LOVED Baldur's Gate. I'm starting Oblivion ATM and find it more fun than Fallout.

But thanks for the answer. My (kinda) limited experience with RPGs led me to believe that ennemies were (supposed to be, anyway) weak early on, then stronger as the game progresses, that maybe, I was heading in the wrong direction or something.

Mate, don't do the main quest now.

Go explore and kill things.

Eventually you'll get stronger.

I remember that in the quest that recquired you to speak to Moriarty in his Sallon to find your father, I ignored it to explore more. Eventually I went to Rivet City and the game beautifully and smoothly rearrenged the chat-chat and quest-line really well.

Well, this game is amazing... except for glitches

Update:

I stuck and kinda started to like it.

I'm now near level 14 and enjoying myself.

Is New Vegas anything like this one?

Somewhat, they made some tweaks to the engine to improve gameplay, which makes the game feel a little different. And the environment and story feel very different, the Mojave feels less like a wasteland and more like an empty desert with random settlements and camps spread about. I did like parts of the story better than Fallout 3's and gameplay was better, but the setting just feels boring and bland. But despite that, it is still a very good game and does have a lot to offer.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games of all time but I do have some friends who did not like the game at first. It is a RPG and some people just dont get into those types of games but if you tend to like RPGs give it a chance.

What I have found from my friends who have played the game is when they left the vault they didnt know what to do and they were confused. In my opinion doing the wasteland survival guide first is the best because it is easier and it brings you to key areas around the wasteland. After or during that quest you will find other quests and this will give you more choices, which opens up the game a lot more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I realize this is an old thread, but in case anyone else has the same questions I'll add my 2 cents.

How are you building your character? I felt the same way my first time through this game, but after playing around with character builds, I realized it was more an issue of poor allocation of skill points than it was the game itself. What I mean is, if you put a ton of points into skills that you don't absolutely need, it makes it a lot harder. If your Small Guns skill is at 25, but you've boosted your Science or Lockpick skill to 60, that's not gonna get you very far. A good bet is to build your small guns skill early, set your Intelligence to 10 from the get-go (extra skill points from the start) and take the "Educated" perk at level 4 (as soon as it's available) to get you even more points to allocate.

I realize there's a lot of value in having some skills to a certain level, and the fact that there's achievements for picking locks, hacking terminals and other things, but those things will easily come in time. First rule of the wastes, make sure you can survive. In order to survive, you need to be able to defend yourself.

There's a really good character build guide on this forum, try following that. Stay away from perks that give you +5 skill points to certain skills, and if you can avoid taking the "Swift Learner" perk. It helps early on, but after a while you'll find that the other perks give you much more lasting benefits.

The main story, in most Bethesda Games, tends to come secondary to me. I get so pulled into all the sidequests and challenges that when I finally DO get to the main story, I cruise right through. There are several great videos out there to help, specifically by Link The First, on youtube. He really breaks down the uses for various skills in Fallout, and helps you make a much more balanced character. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
The main story, in most Bethesda Games, tends to come secondary to me. I get so pulled into all the sidequests and challenges that when I finally DO get to the main story, I cruise right through. There are several great videos out there to help, specifically by Link The First, on youtube. He really breaks down the uses for various skills in Fallout, and helps you make a much more balanced character. Hope this helps.

I'm the same, I love to do all of the side quests first as they just take you all around the map... so you get loads of XP, get to loot and explore... It's what makes the game so great in my opinion.

• 1 month later...
Give it time and stick with it. I gave up on this game about 5 times before I finally played it. If you stick around you'll find one of the best gaming experiences ever.

I agree. I was going to trade it in/return it when a guy on line had actually started talking to me about how awesome the game was.. I listened to him, and gave it another try, and I fell in love.. Wish I could meet that guy again and shake his hand, seriously.. :drunk

• 2 weeks later...

Fallout games are not suppose to be played as if your going to point A to point Z in order. If you adventure around and build you character up then the game will become better as you go along. Why do you think you can't hack or picklock certain things when you don't have the skill level to do so.

• 3 weeks later...
Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games of all time but I do have some friends who did not like the game at first. It is a RPG and some people just dont get into those types of games but if you tend to like RPGs give it a chance.

What I have found from my friends who have played the game is when they left the vault they didnt know what to do and they were confused. In my opinion doing the wasteland survival guide first is the best because it is easier and it brings you to key areas around the wasteland. After or during that quest you will find other quests and this will give you more choices, which opens up the game a lot more.

Man I hated RPGS and I got into this game. Because of Fallout I got into Skyrim and recently got Skyrim as a preasent,and want to pick up Oblivion for 6$ :p

OP-Do the side quests in Megaton first.

Talk to Moira at Craterside Supply for the ''Wasteland survival guide'' quest. Choose to do the ''Scavenging'' part first. This part alone at the nearby Super market gets you everything you need early on. Food,water,medicine,weapons,and Caps (Money).

Talk to Lucy West at the Bar for the ''Blood ties'' quest.

Talk to ''Mr. Burke'' at the Bar for the ''Power of the Atom'' quest.

Completing the above in Megaton will net you big XP. Don't blow up Megaton without completing Blood Ties first or it will be lost. Wasteland survival guide can still be completed and Moira will be a ghoul. :p

I have Platnium trophie and 1000 GS in Fallout 3. Great game.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem, caused me to put the game aside for two years on PS3 before I went back to increase my completion percentage.

I got up to about level 5, then got stuck in the area with the mirelurks and OMG it was horrible! I didn't know about drinking water to heal or anything, but I killed all of them, saved outside and put the game on the shelf.

Now, two years later, after going through Oblivion, Skyrim and figuring some things out, I love it.

As many people said, do the quests in Megaton first (I found the Wasteland Survival Guide particularly helpful at about level 6 or 7) and take the perk that gives you 10% extra experience. I don't need it now (currently level 19), but it really helped when I was having difficulty in the beginning.

The best thing was, when I was doing the Wasteland Survival Guide quest, all the Mirelurks were dead! I walked right in, did the deed and walked out no problem LOL.

If all else fails, start over and respec. You aren't that far into the game where it would make much of a difference.

• 1 month later...

Not going to lie, i cheated for the first three quests after you escape the vault by tuning the difficulty down but once i got starting gear (Stimpacks, Radaway, Hunting or Assault Rifle, and lots of ammo) I tuned it back up and started doing Tenpenny Tower missions (Spoiler Alert!: If you decide to arm the nuke in megaton)