Cool Hidden Stuff in the Soul Cairn *Possible Spoilers*

BloodGodAlucard

I was just wandering around the Soul Cairn when I found a place called the Reaper's Lair. It sounded cool so I went in. There was a weird beam of light that I could interact with. I place 3 reaper stone shards in there that I found while exploring. And it summoned a hidden boss called The Reaper. He was pretty cool. Not very strong though. And he didn't drop any unique items. Though he does drop 3 black soul gems and a daedra heart.

I also found these strange objects called lightning attractors located all around the map. They ask you to place a greater or grand soul gem inside and then interact with them. Doing so causes lightning to crash down, turning the gem into a black soul gem. Pretty cool. I'm wondering if this will do anything if you find them all? I haven't a clue how many of them there are in the entire area. Any info would be appreciated if anyone knows.

This isn't really hidden since you get a side quest for it. But you can save an undead horse called Arvak. He then becomes your mount that you can summon with an apprentice level conjuration spell. He's very useful in the Soul Cairn. You can also summon him when you get back to Tamriel. I've been using him from time to time when I don't feel like fast traveling to a location to spawn Shadowmere. He looks really nice.

Does anyone else know of any cool hidden stuff in this location?

I think there's around five of those lightning attractors. I don't think they do anything besides what you mentioned. I'm pretty sure I found and used all of them when looking for those pages and other stuff.

There's also three spell tomes. They're all conjuration spells, for boneman, mistman and wrathman. Wrathman seems useful even without any perks in conjuration (playing on expert). Wrathman is fairly strong and can take a lot of hits. Very good tank. I also noticed that he doesn't always die when hit on low health. Instead he kneels down to regenerate some health.

There is a side quest for finding a horses head for a soul. Once you complete the quest he teaches you how to summon his horse, Arvak. He is very helpful in getting around the Soul Cairn and I imagine he will be helpful in Skyrim as well.

@OP Do you know where you found the three shards? I have two of them and I have spent the last 30minutes searching for the third.

There is a side quest for finding a horses head for a soul. Once you complete the quest he teaches you how to summon his horse, Arvak. He is very helpful in getting around the Soul Cairn and I imagine he will be helpful in Skyrim as well.

@OP Do you know where you found the three shards? I have two of them and I have spent the last 30minutes searching for the third.

Yeah I mentioned Arvak in my original post. I like him a lot. Though he might have glitched my game. I had Shadowmere when I got back from the Soul Cairn. Then I fast traveled to a few locations after riding Arvak. And now Shadowmere seems to have vanished. I'll have to see if maybe he went back to the Sanctuary.

The three shards are found in the buildings/ruins that have the giant soul gems floating above them that drain your life. I'm sorry that I don't remember exactly which ones. I know there are more than 3 of the giant life draining gems. The shards are all located in the treasure chests directly below them. Hope that helps you find the one you're missing. My last one was in the ruins near Valerica's prison. You have to use the teleporter inside the ruin. This will send you to the top of the ruin where the stone is.

And yeah I found the 3 spell tomes. I haven't used them much though since I have the master level conjuration spells to summon permanent atronachs.

Yeah I mentioned Arvak in my original post. I like him a lot.

The three shards are found in the buildings/ruins that have the giant soul gems floating above them that drain your life. I'm sorry that I don't remember exactly which ones. I know there are more than 3 of the giant life draining gems.

Ha, I saw that you mentioned the Repears Lair and went straight to posting. :p Arvak is neat, too bad he messed up Shadowmere for you. I have him in Skyrim as well.

I feel like I have gone to every giant soul gem that drains your life and I still can not find the third one. All Chests are either empty or have low level weapons in them. Damn it! I have been stuck in the Soul Cairn for an hour and I can not find this silly soul gem.

You can also meet Jiub, the dark elf character that you see at the very beginning of Morrowind and appears several times throughout the series. There's a quest where you have to find notes from from his final book.

I thought it was the most interesting part of Soul Cairn, especially if you're into lore.

Yeah I found him earlier. That was a really cool reference/easter egg. Finding all of the pages was a pain in the ass though. :p

I found the merchant too. I gave him 75 soul husks, but I lost interest once I found out he only gave normal items and not unique ones.

And for the reaper gem fragments. I found this video on YouTube. I hope it helps you. I haven't watched it since it's kind of long. It's the first one that comes up with a search though. Here it is.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ehw2fJ5OWw]Skyrim: Dawnguard-Reaper Soul Shards Guide - YouTube[/ame]

I would appreciate any info on meetng this Jiub NPC,

and ALSO a guide to finding ALL his Opus pages. TYVM

If you travel East from the Soul Husk Vendor you will run into him. He is a Soul standing by a unlit bon fire. He is a good way across the map and will take awhile to reach him.

Here is a link to the thread with help on finding the pages.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=376584&highlight=saint

Nice signature by the way. I laughed.

Edited by BBDrew84