Your Personal Thoughts of Windows 8:

Harreh Shat

Overall I like it. Not much of a difference between 7 and 8 if you don't count the Start screen of Modern UI. This is even faster than 7 (boot). The only problem I've come across is the lack of compatibility of programs.

Like avast is the most annoying thing since it gives the blue screen all the time. They promise full Windows 8 compatibility but it's far away from it at the moment!

So if you're using avast, I'd recommend not to upgrade to Windows 8 yet or change to another antivirus program.

I feel its ok. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone in its current state for desktop/nontouch laptop since almost everyone I know in real life hates the start menu. I had three extra upgrade for 15 dollar codes from buying my laptop and I couldn't give them away.

I do like how it runs faster though. I find the microsoft app store lacking and the prices tend to be too much like every other digital store they have. Maybe as it gets more then it will different but I doubt it. Don't care for the ads in the MS apps either.

My start screen consist of Netflix, the free games, and a comic reader that sucks. I used skype for awhile then got tired of issues with it and just switched to the desktop version. I find Live tiles ok but most I don't need and I've used widgets and shells before that do almost the same thing and have more customization options with those.

I've also had issues with app crashes from windows store items where it just boots back to the start screen for no reason. Haven't had many issues in desktop mode other than graphic card program crashing but since its new they will probably fix it. I went to their forums to see if other issues and a lot of people had the same one with a response from them that they are working on a fix.

Also had random glitches in old games but nothing game breaking yet.

I installed start8 and going to use it for awhile until windows store gets more items. Only time I go to the official start is to search for some things and to play the few games I got through it.

They aren't complicated just not a lot of easy customization to them The ones that aren't windows 8 store apps looks like ass unless you download a program online to make your own tiles. I have a ton of apps and it takes awhile to scrollt through them all but with the old state then I could just group them together if folders. When I go to all apps on 8 then it really shows me all the apps. I think they look dumb downed.

Also cool you can just start typing to get to stuff but on 7 you can hit the windows button and do the same thing so that big of a deal to me.

Plus I hate that they keep trying to force people into the their metro style stuff. Not much of a reason to keep the other start out as an option. Some people just don't like it. I don't care for it because I would like more customization like changing the sizes of tiles more or groups them together in a folder or another tile.

I also can't believe they don't allow dual screen metro apps on both monitors. Seems lazy.

Edited by sleepydumbdude

I'll get to used to it eventually, but for my main laptop, I will stick with Windows 7. If I have to google how to do basic fuctions on windows 8 like uninstalling apps, then I'm going to leave it on my test computer for a little longer.

Uninstalling apps is the same for desktop and on metroapps you just right click so that is easy.

Installed 8 on a spare SSD I got from Corsair. Spent a night flicking through it and exploring as much as I could.

Id say its okay, its not great. I think there could have been a bit too much hype over it. The one thing that disappoints me about W8 is its attempt to "move forward" with modern technology and base it on a tablet style. Pages moving left to right rather than up and down. The tiles etc.

Dont get me wrong, I still think they've done a good job. Personally I think it should of been named something completely different to Windows. I would have been happier then. The whole Windows 'image' is reflected on the desktop. Even though you still have it on 8, its not as important as in previous versions. Which kinda defeats the purpose of branding it another 'Windows' OS.

Im not too concerned about it at this stage. One of my 480's is playing up which kinda make my eyefinity useless. A reason why I got back into console gaming. Maybe one day when I can be bothered upgrading a few things ill make the switch, but not anytime soon.

Talking about games, you should know that pc games rated as 18+ will not be allowed on the Windows store.

As for my opinion, I think Windows 8 is just another vista that will get enhanced in the next windows release. ( Windows 9?)

My thoughts exactly on Windows 8 = Vista. Sales have been fewer than expected as well.

Just wondering where you heard about the 18+?

Edited by Selections

As a casual PC user, I am really loving Windows 8. I've read a lot of hate on forums about how Microsoft makes a good OS then a bad one then a good one etc. etc., basically trying to say that since Windows 7 was so great that explains why Windows 8 is so "terrible". Personally, I think it's accessible, sleek, quick, nice looking, and easily navigable.

I understand complaints that the "metro" interface looks like it's designed for touchscreen, because it mostly is, but I still enjoy using it with a mouse. For those who don't, it's not challenging at all to switch back to the standard Windows interface, which I admittedly find myself doing every now and then when I'm trying to figure out how to do something. Like all new things, it's going to take a little while to get used to metro, but that's fine by me. I'm also really digging linking up my W8 phone, my 360, and my PC together with my Microsoft account. Pretty curious to see where they go with all that in the future, especially when the next gen Xbox launches.

I didn't know that because I'm using 8 mostly on a tablet, but that would be good information for me later. How do you right click on a tablet?

I've only played with store units a little bit, so I may be off here, but if you pull down on the tile just a little bit and then let go you should get a bar at the bottom of your screen. Option to delete should be there.

@cyclop, I hope to God Microsoft doesn't decide to go that route with it. I think, and hope that they will just update it with decent service packs, instead of revamping it and then being stuck behind a generation of OS's.

But as for my opinion? Windows 8 is decent. The new "Metro" or "Stream-lined" design it runs on start-up, is a complete nuisance if you aren't on a touchscreen. I'm hoping they make it more functional with mouse use in the first SP update. I personally am using "Classic Shell," to get the start icon back on the taskbar, and "Skip Metro Suite Settings" to get rid of the Charms bar, the dumb new start square, the drag to close and the recent apps square and to skip the metro start-up sequence.

But all-in-all, Windows 8 is an really well designed OS, it's future-proof, it's extremely lightweight, it has the latest Microsoft security features and it's not horrible to get used to the new UI. I would upgrade, if I hadn't already lol.

I thought I'd hate it. Everything I read, everything I saw made me think there was no way this could be good and Windows would go down in flames.

Then I got my hands on it... I was hooked. I upgraded my laptop first and I'd say it took me all of 20 minutes to get the hang of it and then it was second nature. I was a little more cautious about updating my desktop, especially worried how it would handle dual screens but I finally did it after about a month and I really like. Especially since I like to run Netflix while I play MMOs.

I think how easy you can adapt to it, depends on if you've used tablets then you get the way the interface is designed. If you haven't then its a lot more confusing and awkward to adjust to.

Now as far as used for business computers YMMV. In a more corporate structure I feel it kinda fails and I think W8 isn't really a good fit. In a lax environment or home computers it excels, but it really depends on the user in the end. Its a big change and some people aren't wired to adapt.

Personally, I tried Windows 8 out at the store and it doesn't seem too good for the PC unless you remove the stupid tablet style program. It maybe good design for a tablet but for the PC it is a poor choice.

As for the overall useage, I havn't tried it fully but alot of stuff would have compatability issues like with any new windows. Also remember that Windows 8 is their proto-type windows. Just like ME, and vista. THe next real one won't be out for years.

I won't be getting Windows 8 any time soon. But I may try it out on a spare computer some time.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Win 8 a lot.

I would however like to know more about saves in the cloud/local saves/what happens with saves in the cloud when I uninstall games etc etc.

Anyone know of a good place to read up on this? I have googled around but haven't found a lot of useful information.

Taking too long to get more new windows 8 apps. MS could have been tossing money at app makers to get them to develop apps close to launch. I think the only app after launch that I got is dropbox and its a POS compared to the one on my phones/tablets. Oh and I got yahoo mail and I just got it for my email I use to sign up for newsletters and stores and stuff. Besides that there just isn't anything I want.

Edited by sleepydumbdude