Roadmap and All Challenge Levels Gold Medal Walkthrough

Drakelees

Overview:

- Estimated achievement difficulty: 7/10

- Offline: 11/12 (185) - Online: 1/2 (15)

- Approximate amount of time to 1000 : 8-15 hours (depending on skill level) - Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1 (2 with clean up time)

- Number of missable achievements: 0

- Glitched achievements: Mines, Online Wins, Total Wins(Explained below) - Cheats disable achievements: No Cheats - Does difficulty affect achievements: Only one difficulty

Game Discription:

Immerse yourself in the fully 3-D pirate world of Yo-Ho Kablammo! Master your vessel and take to the seas in this frantic action-packed game. Blast your foes with cannon fire, collect numerous power-ups to give you the upper hand, and collect the spoils of your victory. Set your sails and navigate a variety of ships all with unique playing styles.

Play the single player challenges or battle your friends in multiplayer madness online and offline, to show who the true pirate is. Only one can survive in these ruthless times, will it be you? Your ship awaits, captain! http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/y/yohokablammoxbla/default.htm

Glitches:

All achievements are obtainable; however the tracking system in the game is a bit glitch and doesn’t track everything every time. If you restart a challenge a lot the mines you collect do not count. Even when you complete a challenge they do not count either. For this achievement it will be easiest to follow the achievement guide and follow the two controller approach to getting enough mines. Also, achievements related to completion or collection will pop up at the scoreboard or at the mission select screen very inconsistent. The achievements that are kill related will pop when the kill happens.

The online achievements will not register at all if you have more than one account signed in playing online. Although the game supports you taking a guest with you for online battle it appears if the achievements are disabled in this form of multiplayer. Total wins, if you are doing this achievement with a second controller it will only track properly in local play, and sometimes wins don’t register so make sure you don’t spam past the win screen.

What causes the tracker to miss information I’m not sure of. But I can report what I have noticed and the precautions I took to correct the glitches hope this helps other sailers!

Introduction:

This is a fun little arcade game that does require a good bit of skill in order to even complete the challenges portion of the game. I’m going to lay out just a few bullet points that will be useful on all levels. There are 3 major areas I’m going to outline briefly to help understand the strategy used for gold medals in the levels below: Driving, Attacking, and Stuff in the Water. As for achievements, if you can get 15 Gold Stars, you’ve already gotten the other 10 offline achievements.

Boat Driving Tactics: At the start of each match, during the countdown, if you mash the A button you will get a boast or “fast” start just like Mario Kart. Getting a gold star on a level is very dependent on getting a good start; I’ll be setting goals by certain times. My suggestion is practicing the opening on the level till you reach the goal before moving on. If you don’t have a hot start it is very difficult to recover in this game. Never drive the sides of your boat near the sides of another ship unless you are 100% sure their cannons aren’t armed, which is never! Always approach the front or rear for an attack. Also you can head on collide without taking a lot of damage most times then just turn your cannons toward the opponent for easy kills. Finally driving point, avoid getting caught in traffic. Getting caught in a jam always results in taking damage; unless you are skilled at quickly taking down ships in a jam avoiding getting in the middle of the clustering ships will help keep your scores straight. Even though there are obviously stupid AI and smarter AI they are all chase after you the same way, learn the pattern the AI pursues and how to kill something chasing you and getting kills will happen faster each attempt.

Attacking: This is the most challenging aspect of the game if you can get down the science of always getting the kill when you need it you are well on your way to having a few gold stars. When firing the cannons I found it best to alternate firing. This way you get to fire about every two seconds opposed to every four. Alternating also prevents you from being a sitting duck against an opponent or just missing that quick kill before the AI runs into the island. The bumpers serve two useful purposes for training in this game. The Color of the arrow tells you if that cannon is ready. Green means Ready to go: and Red means reloading. After you fire either cannon it takes roughly 3 seconds to be ready to fire again. The second purpose of the bumper is to help you aim. Learning to aim well and how to deliver effective attacks will be the one aspect of the game that focusing on will improve your performance over all. I found in trying different styles and the controller layouts that aiming is easiest with the game defaults. Holding down both bumpers was nice when learning how to time out the reloads, however found it confusing to learn which cannon was which side. I found that holding down only the right bumper to be the best to hold down all the time that way if a boat approached the side of the boat without the arrow it meant to pull the left trigger since the boats can get small and spun around at points there is a learning curve as to which cannon to fire at times.

Stuff in the Water: Power-ups and Mines. Power-ups are pretty straight forward. They each serve their different purposes. Look in the help if you want to see a listing of what they are. Two notes on power ups: 1. The AI typically are good with the power ups, so be aware of what the computer and/or your teammate may have. 2. Make sure when you get a health pack and you are below half health to just use it survival is extremely important to reaching a lot of the gold star goals. Mines are the secret ingredient to the your damage and kills in this game. Picking them up always scores points, its less objects on the screen you have to avoid when they are your color, and if you control ¾ of the mines on the board the opponents will always be 3 cannon balls away from death in almost every scenario.

With all these little piece of advice in mind let’s dive into the 15 challenges with a few bullet points on each one to getting a gold star, if I ever get setup to capture game play on my computer I’d put up video walkthroughs.

Challenge 1 – You, Cannon Do It: Gold Star 125 pts.

Fast start. Early on focus on getting mines, if the other ship approaches your cannons try and put damage on him otherwise the mines are the most important thing to focus on. Once you have the major of the mines in your favor start trying to push the other ship into the upper right corner to set up a grave camp. Doing figure eights allows you to circle an opponent and alternate the guns increasing damage are a kill or two back to mines, on all the levels where you score with mines always keep on top of that collection because its free damage. With about 1:00 in the run you should have at least achieved 90-95 points. If you are not around this number getting to 125 is getting out of the question. When setting these goals I aimed for most to be reached roughly: 10-15 seconds before the clock runs out.

Challenge 2 – Sunset Showdown: Gold Star 2:20

4 ship free for all. Fast start at the beginning and swing out around to the green ship on the right side. All three opponents will fire all of their cannons within the first second or two in almost all of my starts. This will avoid taking damage early. The real trick to this level is trying to keep the number of lives even on all the opponents, since it’s a free for all they damage each other quite a bit and each ship that gets taken out is more work that you have to do eating up the clock. If you time up the kills right you can be firing your second shot to kill a ship right as the next ship shows up to take its first shot. If you die more than 3 times on an attempt odds are against you meeting the goal in time.

Challenge 3 – Mine ‘o’ Mine: Gold Star :50

100% Focus on collecting mines, firing the cannons is only necessary if the other ship is hurt and blocking your road. You can fast start this one if you want or slow start. My best scores I have used slow start but have more consistent results using a fast start. Once you are in a match slow controlled driving and staying focused should get a gold star. If you want to make it easy on yourself restart till you get a match that has a mine clear power up. Get to 25 seconds then use the power up and you have fresh mines across the board to rush to the finish with.

Challenge 4 – 9 Lives? But I’m a Sea Dog! Gold Star 2:20

Shooting pro level. This is a level where using your bumpers will really help out. Get in a rythmn killing and the boats will start to come to you. If you get overwhelmed remember to head on collide it will serve as a short stun that will help you get a kill lined up. Keep your deaths to a minimum and this level is not too difficult.

Challenge 5 – Rampage: Gold Star 2:15

Fast Start. Get those crates and line up kills quickly. AI will race to crates as they fall in the water so make sure you are first there and a ship to ram will not be too far behind. If a boat gets the power-up try and stay behind or away from it. Get a double kill or two and you will be well on your way. You have to get 5 kills (25pts) before the 1:00 remaining marker, that gives you time to get into a groove and get a kill every 12 seconds before time runs out.

Challenge 6 – Marathon Match: Gold Star 625 pts.

Honestly, every time I have played this challenge I have gotten a gold star. Probably the easiest challenge. However its 10:00 long, ugh. Best advice is to track your progress that means 250 points every 3 minutes. Staying alive gets points the fastest. Try positioning yourself close to the volcano lapping circles. This will get you mines as they are falling into the water which will boast all your scores throughout the match, you’ll notice that you’ll be taking larger paths or turning around more if a computer gets a cluster in the inside.

Challenge 7 – I Don’t Mine, Do You?: Gold Star 2:10

Focus on grabbing mines. To stay on pace you need to get 20 mines every 40 seconds. Only engage combat with the other ships if they are getting in your way or stealing large amounts of mines, but don’t distract yourself getting kills. Try and always be a lane behind the plane. Example: If the plane is flying downward then you need to be picking up the trail left up top going right. The plane will drop mines in clusters or in zigzags, try learning these drop patterns and you’ll find keeping on pace to be much easier.

Challenge 8 – Stormy Seas Ahoy!: Gold Star 2:00

Slow start. Only allowed 1 death make it count, 2 if you are already ahead of pace. Best advice on this level is to stick to the middle after you have a few kills under your belt and it doesn’t feel over whelming. The AI will sail directly towards you this way then it becomes simply lining up shots and knocking them down. Get a good rhythm to your kills on this challenge and the gold is yours.

Challenge 9– 3 Way Action: Gold Star 170 pts.

2 vs. 1. Sail around the middle tower collecting fresh mines which will result in several easy kills. Wait to attack until the AI ships are injured which insures that your shots will be kills. Keep your deaths to a minimum and the points will be flooding in, in no time. As always set your goal to achieve a gold star about 5-7 seconds before the clock runs out that way if you run in to a jam you don’t fall 2 points shy before the clock runs out, and then your stuck on the loading screen again, and then the game freezes updating leaderboards, then kicks you to dashboard, then pops up an error message, sigh… my save for this game glitched for a day and that’s what happened. Not very fun, yes this game is just glitchy at times so its just smart to pad numbers a little bit.

Challenge 10 – All By Myself: Gold Star 3:00

This level you cannot afford to die, survival is utterly important. Stay near the inner circle of the island and collect as many mines as possible. If you collect plenty of mines the rest will unfold itself into an easy scenario. If you can survive long enough to a high score in the first minute you’ll see this is a fairly easy gold star.

Challenge 11 – Booty Pincher: Gold Star 2:00

This is a crowd control exercise. You need to get the deaths of the ships alternating with your kills. You can only score from picking up treasure. You need to pick up 15 chests in two minutes which if you kill properly that’s 5 kills 6 if you aren’t lucky. Try and fight towards one of the opponents spawning zone. If you alternate properly and position in a corner the other ship will spawn far enough away you are always fighting in a 1v1 scenario making picking up the triangle of chests up much easier. Just remember when a ship spawns it is invulnerable until it stops sparkling which is about 3 seconds. Don’t get caught trying to fight a ship that can’t take damage your weapons are your life saver.

Challenge 12 – Monkey See, Monkey Do: Gold Star 2:45

Fast start. Snatch up as many mines close to the volcano as you can. As far as damaging the other ships and score. Collect mines and kill as ships get in your way and clean up their remains. Your partner is rather reliable here. If the partner gets a chance at getting a power up let them have it and they will put it to good use. Although the partner doesn’t collect many mines it will grab treasure well. I suggest trying to get 100 pts withen the first minute. If you can keep this pace getting 250 in the time limit will come easily if you stay focused on controlling mines on the board the kills will come as well and only 3 more gold stars to go.

Challenge 13 – Shark Infested Waters: Gold Star 2:15

Four player free for all. Slow start. Once again stay close to the island. You need to be the one getting the crates, you should be able to kill ships as they come to get crates and sail towards you if you time it all up right. You should be able to get 5 kills or 25 points by 1:00 into the match. This will leave you 1:15 to get the remaining 5 kills. 2 deaths is about the most respawn time you can afford even if you’ve already gotten a monster kill.

Challenge 14 – Mellow Yellow: Gold Star 2:30

This is the most difficult challenge in the game. If you can beat it my honest opinion is that you will get gold or very close to gold. There are four crates on this level each located on a point of the compass. Fast start. Boost towards the left crate and grab it then escape up through the north top of the mine cluster and you can sail out without taking damage or out of bounds.

As a note to this part, if you play your cards right you can get a “perfect start.” If the two ships on the right get the boost they will chase you out of bounds, once you reset your timer you can bump them to get a free quick kill from the kraken getting you closer to gold. If it works out right you can even get all three boats from the start with the kraken for a quick triple kill in 15 seconds.

Back to the level… You have to get 12 kills in one life. The bottom left ship, the smaller ship will have 5 lives focus on him the most. The bottom right ship will have 4 he is second priority. And the final ship with 3 lives is lowest of your concerns. Shooting a quick 3 shots into the front of the volcano can get a free kill or two, but don’t focus on keeping it active its just a perk. About half way through the timer the mines will float inwards, be aware of them and don’t take damage. Unnecessary damage will ultimately lead to a restart. If your health gets to half make sure you heal. Grabbing the health crates without taking damage takes practice, especially the bottom crate because it always seems to be off camera. Gold on this level and only the final level to go.

Challenge 15 – The Duck Hunt: Gold Star 140 pts.

All kills are one shot. Fast start, focus on collecting mines but also make sure you shoot to kill if an AI is near or they will take you down instead. If you get off to a slow start restart. If you get behind on picking up mines you are ultimately dooming yourself. Getting power ups are useful but don’t let them get in the way of killing. Everything is one shot, focus on doing damage sail for mines and avoid getting shot. Make sure you pick up the treasure from your kills. The big trick to this level is trying to outscore the other three ships. If you are able to outscore them then you already are on the pace to getting 140 points. Don’t get tied up and stay moving on this match, also be aware of which boat has what power up so you aren’t getting bombarded by missiles and rams.

Complete this challenge and the achievement is yours. Good luck all ye scurvy sea dogs! See you on the leader boards. :drunk

• 1 month later...