Where would you stand if DRM was still implemented?

JORDAN K 95

so, xbox one is official paid off, looked at my credit card action and the payment has been taken. less than half a year ago the xbox one was revealed and it was a great day, 5 months ago was E3 or warming up to E3, the rumors started coming in with DRM policies. i watched the E3 event and enjoyed it, was looking forward to the next generation of consoles. then shortly after microsofts E3 event they confirmed all of the DRM policies and 24 hours checkins, Sony then had their event and clearly won, they announced no 24 hours check ins and no DRM, and honestly it was a small disaster.

so then youre left with the decision. youve watched the E3 event and enjoyed it, to then find out you cant rent games, cant sell games, have to connect all of the time etc. do you stick with the xbox and suffer from its policies and go to playstation and enjoy the freedom. it was a tough decision, i was leaning more towards the ps4, but diddnt want to pre order it because i diddnt want to leave behind my games history, gamerscore etc. so i stood 50/50. then came the day where all BS policies were reversed, no more DRM, no more mandatory check ins, freedom. i was happy, both consoles were pretty much even, so then i pre ordered the xbox one.

back to the start, the payment is taken for my xbox one, but seeing this made me realise. 5 months ago i was sat thinking which console to get every day for a week or 2, and now here i am, the console, pre ordered and paid. it was hard to make a decision, and because microsoft changed their policies i went to xbox. but what if they diddnt change them? how much longer of deciding would it have taken me to make up my mind? most likely i would have taken the ps4 route, and im sure everyone else would agree that DRM pushed a lot of people towards the ps4.

what do you guys think? would you have stayed with the xbox one even if it kept the DRM policies or would you have switched to PS4?

please no flaming, MS made a bad decision and changed it. i am just interested to see what people would have done if DRM was still implemented.

i have not included a poll, because its not just ps4 and xbox, some people may have just stayed with current gen, or went to PC etc.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are just asking for a massive flamewar with this topic.

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Dis-Gun-Be-Gud-Bear-Chair.gif

All I have to say is I would still be getting the Xbox One if they retained their original policies. The Xbox One is the console I want.

You are just asking for a massive flamewar with this topic.

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Dis-Gun-Be-Gud-Bear-Chair.gif

All I have to say is I would still be getting the Xbox One if they retained their original policies. The Xbox One is the console I want.

hopefully they will read what i put and all be nice? :p

please no flaming, MS made a bad decision and changed it. i am just interested to see what people would have done if DRM was still implemented.

I've had the Xbox One preordered since it was available after that initial reveal event. The check in didn't bother me seeing as my 360 is always connected and I don't really use it if it can't connect (I blame timestamps) and I don't sell games or rent them anymore, rental is more to do with lovefilm stopping the service and blockbuster are just basically rubbish. The 360 exclusives, as rare as they may be, are games that I enjoy and would buy newer versions of (Forza and Halo above others).

The PS4 has never interested me since its reveal. The only exclusives I enjoyed on the PS3 were Uncharted 1 & 2, didn't like 3 and wouldn't be that interested in a 4 unless they can feature something really grand scale like Atlantis, and the Ratchet and Clank games. Other then that theres not really been much for me to bother with, so more of the same is something I can pass on. For now anyway, I mean if something really cool looking comes out then I would change my mind so its not like I'm of the opinion that I'll never own one.

I don't care about DRM. Everything has CRM (including the PS3/360/PS4) and they are all atrocious but as long as it doesn't "get in the way" (see Diablo3) I just don't cae. My Xbox is always online anyway and I don't care if I couldn't trade in games cause I don't do that anyway. I would have gotten the one WITH the original setup and been happy. I am actually a little LESS happy with some of the changes but my hatred of the PS4 controller and my overall happiness with the Xbox brand made my choice of the One a no brainer for me.

I would have still bought the Xbox One. Personally, I'm not a guy that looks for used games or has friends that want to constantly borrow my games. I just buy games new and stick with them. Usually when friends want to play, they just get their own game and play over Xbox Live at their place. So it's never been a issue with me regarding end-user stuff.

However, if I was a guy who lives on places like GameStop where they constantly buy used or trade-in a ton, I would have chosen the PS4 all day.

I had to think for a minute to remember what my original Xbox One deal breaker was. It was never DRM, I don't care about that. It was that Kinect had to always be plugged in and the once a day check in. I was thinking of it in the terms of, if I couldn't check in one day for whatever reason, my console is useless.

I would have probably switched, just because of my personal situation, I rent probably 75% of the games I play. I couldn't justify spending $500+ a month before xmas to be able to play 1, maybe 2 games every few months on it and spending the rest of my time still playing the 360.

I expect both Sony and MS to push that direction over the course of this upcoming generation.

Wasn't the PS4 suppose to have the same DMR policy as the Xbox One to begin with but they changed it? I know I read that somewhere or maybe I'm losing it

i would switch to the ps4. I rent 80% of my games and I currently own 1 game that is brand new. I go to Gamestop a lot and raid the 9.99 and less games. I refuse to drop 60 or 50 bucks on a game in this economy. Especially since most games drop their price by half within the 1st year.

I would still be getting the Xbox One.

I never sell my games back, sort of a collector I guess, so that didn't bother me. I do occasionally loan my games to friends and family, but that wasn't a deal breaker. The $100 price difference is no big deal to me for all the stuff the Xbox does. Some of the stuff would of been a downer but I was always going to buy both.

Xbox day one and PS4 sometime next year.

DRM was never an issue for me, only issue was Kinect being mandatory(even though I plan on using it I didn't like it having to always be connected. (Can't help it, I'm a paranoid person even if there was nothing to worry about)

So I'd still be on board with the original DRM.

couldn't do that....I am ok with Kinect but internet requirements and region locks would kill me because I am moving in the spring