Cheating, Gamerscore and Achievements

Castlevania1995

I try to boost when I can - but it's usually because I can't get an achievement on my own. At that point, I'm at the "I need help" stage, have used all of my abilities and patience, and will give it one more try before dropping the issue.

I don't cheat to get achievements. I don't cheat to inflate my gamerscore. I don't cheat to get 100% on my games.

I will enable cheats when I complete a game or give up on trying to get achievements...just for fun. Sometimes god-mode is the best therapy.

It's really sad that so many people on here don't have a problem with cheating. They even call it 'modding' or some other euphemism. They are - in fact - called cheats. Which makes you a cheater for using them whether Microsoft cares or not. (my games will say 'cheat code enabled' -- not 'modding code enabled'). I think someone even suggested that an 'honest' player's frustration comes from an inability to catch a cheater. Sounds like something a cheater would say. The really stupid thing is when a cheater moans about 'you can't tell me how to have fun', or some such horseshit. If you are doing it online, then it affects me if I'm in the game. At which point you apparently need to be told how to have fun, as you are ruining the experience for anyone who's not cheating. I guess cheating is kind of like steroids for geeks. Which would explain why you need others to see you flex your grey matter. Otherwise, you would cheat in private and hide your GS.

I don't care if you cheat or not - but man up and own it if you do! Quit being a bitch and claiming you're 'modifying code' or 'working smarter'.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the topic of boosting has come up a few times already. There are games where thats the only way you will get the achievements! For instance, I decided to do a playthrough of Fracture. The multi-player in the game is DEAD so unless I decided to boost, I would never get a chance to pick up any of the basic online achievements.

The only two reasons i can think of for cheating or modding is so they can brag about it and can pretend they are really good even if they are not (I think this goes for both gamerscore and k/d ratios). the other one is that they want the score but they don't want to work for it, a sort of i want it and i want it now and i don't want to have to do anything.

Cheats can be fun such as diffrent skins or putting big or small heads on characters or just a god mode rampage to let off some steam.

I try to boost when I can - but it's usually because I can't get an achievement on my own. At that point, I'm at the "I need help" stage, have used all of my abilities and patience, and will give it one more try before dropping the issue.

I don't cheat to get achievements. I don't cheat to inflate my gamerscore. I don't cheat to get 100% on my games.

I will enable cheats when I complete a game or give up on trying to get achievements...just for fun. Sometimes god-mode is the best therapy.

It's really sad that so many people on here don't have a problem with cheating. They even call it 'modding' or some other euphemism. They are - in fact - called cheats. Which makes you a cheater for using them whether Microsoft cares or not. (my games will say 'cheat code enabled' -- not 'modding code enabled'). I think someone even suggested that an 'honest' player's frustration comes from an inability to catch a cheater. Sounds like something a cheater would say. The really stupid thing is when a cheater moans about 'you can't tell me how to have fun', or some such horseshit. If you are doing it online, then it affects me if I'm in the game. At which point you apparently need to be told how to have fun, as you are ruining the experience for anyone who's not cheating. I guess cheating is kind of like steroids for geeks. Which would explain why you need others to see you flex your grey matter. Otherwise, you would cheat in private and hide your GS.

I don't care if you cheat or not - but man up and own it if you do! Quit being a bitch and claiming you're 'modifying code' or 'working smarter'.

You have cheating confused with modding. It is clearly two different things. Cheats are built into the game by the developers themselves and are meant to be used to enhance the game whether by making it easier, harder, more interesting, etc. Mods are third party game changers that change various aspects of the game and are not endorsed by the developers and some times frowned upon.

Glitches/bugs are something that the developers didn't mean to put in but is there as an accident and found by gamers. It may be exploited to gain achievements easier, and this seems to be what bugs the OP the most. IMHO, if the devs didn't test the game well enough and left something like that in there, it is our right to take advantage of it as gamers. If you don't want to use it, that's fine too. :)

I agree with you on the fun aspect...I will get all the achievments I can on my own but for multiplayer achievments that people don't play anymore it is impossible...or for achievments that are really just repetitive and useless but I still want to go for 100% so I will get it done...But I think you are a little harsh on Castle for what he said...it is just his opinion and he is entitled to it...I am pretty sure from all of his posts he is not passing judgement on anyone...

I am really just building off of Castevania1995 post about cheating and boosting...In his post he clearly leaves out external mods and use of external programs to modify games...I have really two questions on that...

1. Because I don't do it, or see a point to it (because I have no time to learn it) I am curious as to how it is done...

2. Why would you use external methods to modify your character or game??

My answer would be...because I can...but since I can't I can not say that and am curious about those who can.

I didn't mean to come off as harsh. I do, however, take objection to someone telling me what I should consider fun. Same goes with telling me if I should, or shouldn't like a movie or music artist. Everyone is entitled to like or dislike what they want, and to have opinions on things.

It's when someone comes along and tells me what I enjoy isn't the right thing to do, and how could it be fun, that rubs me the wrong way. That, and the fact that this type of post has been made ad nauseam.

Let's put this in a different light. If all acheivements are designed to be obtained a certain way, and boosting/exploiting/cheat coding defeats that purpose, what about unintentional cheats? There are numerous games out there that have hole in the coding so that some achievements just unlock whenever they feel like. Sometimes it is because you played locally (or even online) with someone who had the achievement, but other times it is for no rhyme or reason. You did nothing to deserve it, it just unlocked for you. By the definition that some people are giving, that would be cheating, even though there was no intention to do so, because that was the way the game is coded.

The problem is about where do you draw the line. Right now, the line is "no outside tools," which works fine. It is clear cut and provable. Call boosting cheating and you end having to go full bore in every match. Stopped to take a drink and took a rifle butt to the back of the head? You made it too easy for your opponent, both of you get banned. Exploits are cheating? Bad luck unlocking that glitchy achievement early, it just cost you your gamerscore.

I'm taking the argument to hyperbole, but the point remains. The current line in the sand works. You want to create your own? That's fine, but don't try to guilt people into marching over to your side.

I learned a while ago to stop caring how others play. So long as they play within the rules (broad though they may be), just ignore them. Be proud of what you have done, not upset about what others are doing.

This.

When you try to bring legitimate in-game mechanics into your moral tirade, it's evident that you're being excessively anal about achievements and won't see any reason in any other argument. It's your way or the highway.

and this.

So....you want to tell me what I should consider fun? I'm sorry, but that's a pretty messed up assumption on your part. I play for fun, and what's fun for me is to play a game in a manner that I enjoy. Part of that fun is getting some achievements. If you get great satisfaction from getting every single achievement without ever boosting a single requirement, then that is what you should do and have fun in your own way.

I could never understand the viewpoint you present, and how that viewpoint comes off to me is, that you validate your worth in life by how well you play a game. I'm sure that's not the case, but these types of posts are really stale and tired.

If the devs don't like the way we're unlocking achievements then they should code them better. ;)

When you try to bring legitimate in-game mechanics into your moral tirade, it's evident that you're being excessively anal about achievements and won't see any reason in any other argument. It's your way or the highway.

Did you only read the first post? "won't see any reason in any other argument". I truly thought that I posted a message with the viewpoints of others I can understand, and have never insulted anyone for their preferred way of gaining an achievement.

(Ninja Gaiden Weapon Achievements)

Wouldn't the reason for doing this to save time? Was it more "fun" to play this way without using the sword or staff or whatever? If you utilized this glitch, I'd like to know what was your reasoning behind it.

You are correct that I did this. However, i saw it as the kind of save-file branching in (for example) Fallout games. You save at a point in which everything can still be gained.

In NGII, you can only get the achievements on a second run (except for Dragon sword, which I got on my first). This means that in a regular playthrough, you get projectiles + weapons. I decided to ignore the weapons, which didn't change any aspect of the run itself except for the use of projectiles. It's like doing a "fire no more than 20 bullets" run with 5 bullets (imo).

I then branched off this save. I didn't use anything I wouldn't normally have, and it only saved me from doing the exact same run 7 times by just continuing from a save-file instead of doing a new game.

I'm really getting sick and tired of these threads on this site about boosting is cheating when it's not. Even Stepto the head of Xbox live enforcement says that it's ok to boost for achievements in online matches.

I'm not saying that things like these should be banned or that it's against the rules, and never did. I also understand why the rules are like they are now.

I didn't mean to come off as harsh. I do, however, take objection to someone telling me what I should consider fun. Same goes with telling me if I should, or shouldn't like a movie or music artist. Everyone is entitled to like or dislike what they want, and to have opinions on things.

It's when someone comes along and tells me what I enjoy isn't the right thing to do, and how could it be fun, that rubs me the wrong way. That, and the fact that this type of post has been made ad nauseam.

I never tried to say what you should like or not. Therefore I said that I personally disagreed with it. You can play the game any way you want, but I don't see why you have to combine that with gaining achievements. While some may not care, if an achievement is gained by more people, the overall "prestige value" of it becomes less. But don't feel as if I'm trying to say you are wrong, its just the way I view things.

I'd therefore like to state again that everything I say is my own view, and although it is difficult to convey emotions through text, everything I say is meant in a calm and friendly manner.

Wow, unlike a lot of people, it seems, I have read the first post. I understand where the guy is coming from, and on some points I agree. I don't tend to boost unless the game is pretty much dead online (I boosted the online cheevs for DiRT about a month or so ago, for example) but I don't tend to use glitches or cheats, I prefer to earn my cheevs. I must be a rubbish GS whore I guess...

You can play the game any way you want, but I don't see why you have to combine that with gaining achievements.

Urg. Because we enjoy playing that way AND getting achievements. We're breaking no rules and in no way adversely affecting anyone else so i don't see how you can have a problem with it. :confused:

While some may not care, if an achievement is gained by more people, the overall "prestige value" of it becomes less. But don't feel as if I'm trying to say you are wrong, its just the way I view things.

Simply put. This is your problem, not mine. I really don't care how many other people have the same achievements as me as I only ever compare with friends.

Why do you care about this supposed prestige value?

If i ever look through my achievements it's to remind me of how i got them and how much i enjoyed playing the games they relate to. It's a personal reminder and because of that i don't give a damn about how anyone else got theirs.

Edited by H2O

If you are worried about prestige value of achievements, my suggestion is to play games that are not glitched or have cheats that allow people to get the achievements easily. It is just the way the game is made, and I and many others will definitely use these exploits. It is each person's decision whether to use it or not, but I for one will always tend to go for it rather than not because I have a backlog of about 200 games right now, and my personal gaming goal is to get 50%+ gamerscore on each game, so if I can save some time by using an exploit, I definitely will use it.

By the way, what you think of using cheats that unlock or are purchasable within the game? I'm talking cheats like invincibility in Conan that unlock after beat Very Hard mode, or 1 shot 1 kill cheat in Tomb Raider Legends after beating time trial of last level, etc. It makes getting certain achievements very easy, and the developers definitely meant to put these in since it requires no special code entry and the game tells you the cheat is unlocked when you get them. However, these are located within the cheats section of the menu, so it is definitely a cheat. Just curious about what you think about these, since you are not doing any weird stuff that you normally won't do to activate these, but are just there in plain sight.

the only time I really boost is multiplayer in game achievements. For example when I was playing battlefield 2 my friends and I would boost when no one else was in the game, you know to get certain stupid things like arm 3 bombs or things like that. I never really boosted my gamerscore that much, maybe a few times here and there. Other then that it doesn't bother me what others do as it's just points to me. But hey to each their own, right?

Okay. Let's get started here.

First off, I play how I want to play, because it's fun to me. I play videogames because I look for a sense of satisfaction for doing something not everyone can do. I take a sense of pride in my achievements. I don't want to be morally rewarded by doing something the best way possible (eg: beating the ridiculously most hardest hard mode in all of hard modes), if there is a glitch for it, or if there is a way to make it somehow easier, I'll look into it. There's so sense in doing something that annoys the piss out of you to the point where you don't have fun anymore. If that part of the game is not fun, and there is a way to make it fun again, then do it.

If there is a command in a game to make a box appear with refilling ammunition for the best gun in the game, and you know how to make it appear, why wouldn't you do it? Because it's not fair to the AI enemies who aren't even real people?

If you have a way to do something completely and utterly impossible, wouldn't you do it? If you could sprout wings and fly, wouldn't you do it? Or no, because it's not fair to the rest of the people in the world? If you're unhappy with the way the community is, move to another community. If you don't like how someone does something, ignore them and get over it. If it isn't physically hurting you in any kind of way, shape, or form, then get over it.

Achievements are achievements, no matter what. If you can be the best player in the world at something by killing a single monster, why wouldn't you do it? I really don't get it. If it's self-rewarding to do something legit, go for it. Who are we to judge you? But if we do something maybe bending the rules a little bit, who are you to judge us? we play how we want to play, you play how you want to play. Nobody tells you that you should play like us, why would you tell us to play like you?

Edited by undephined

OP-

I combine playing for fun with gaining achievements because.....that is fun to me. imo, there is no prestige attached to achievements, at all. I have people on my friend's list that have three digit GS and others who dwarf my GS. I treat them as equals because they are. They are people who I like to play games with, and they have different priorities when it comes to achievements.

It makes no difference to me what a gamers GS is, just like my GS makes no difference to anyone else but me. I don't get achievements for anything resembling prestige, I get them to have fun. When I see someone with a low GS, I don't think they're inferior and likewise when I see someone with a GS like sanger, the only thing that comes to mind is that they are very dedicated to completing games.

You may certainly disagree with the way I, and others, play and gain achievements, but why make a post about it? Why do you give it a second thought? Play for yourself, the way you want to play and have fun. Personally, I would never start a thread on why people who don't boost achievements do what they do, because I don't care and the thought never crosses my mind.

I just want to have fun because I am playing a game. It's not serious business to me, it's what I do to relax and if you relax and have fun differently from me, and disagree in the way that I have fun, so what? And yes, it's hard to judge emotion and intent over the internet. All I'm saying is why does it matter in a conversational tone.

I generally treat achievements as a series of gaming footprints as i play over the years. To have a record showing i finished a game or progressed through a storyline these eventually amass into a kind of digital scrap book for myself, my friends and anyone in the community i share to look at.

I wish achievement systems were implemented as I was growing up. There are so many games that I enjoyed but have all but forgotten about. Occasionally i'll read an article on retro gaming and see a highlight of an old old game that jogs my memory and sends me on a nostalgia trip. That's when I really see the value in achievements.

There are other achievements like grinding - 'Kill 100 dragon wizards' or crazily obscure - 'eat 42 enchanted steaks while standing in front of the moon on Tuesday'. These generally don't require any skill and are usually the ones that can and more often than not will be exploited.

The trick is not to care, people will always exploit where they can,not just in gaming, but in general life. Gamer score is a nice number to see grow as your gaming experiences and library increases. But you have to ask yourself - in 10 years time, when you are sitting playing the next next next gen (or whatever) console and you look back at your gaming life on the 360, will you remember the people that used a glitch to get 20gs or will you reminisce about that time you successfully helped Isaac operate on his own eye in Dead Space 2?

By the way, what you think of using cheats that unlock or are purchasable within the game? I'm talking cheats like invincibility in Conan that unlock after beat Very Hard mode, or 1 shot 1 kill cheat in Tomb Raider Legends after beating time trial of last level, etc. It makes getting certain achievements very easy, and the developers definitely meant to put these in since it requires no special code entry and the game tells you the cheat is unlocked when you get them. However, these are located within the cheats section of the menu, so it is definitely a cheat. Just curious about what you think about these, since you are not doing any weird stuff that you normally won't do to activate these, but are just there in plain sight.

In general, I'm ok with these. The example I gave (Portal) has cheats to make the achievement far easier. However, using cheats disables you from gaining achievements (bolded so that people will read it). People use cheats, and then abuse an oversight in the game design to still gain achievements (saving before the end, completely shutting off the game, loading the save and walking 2 steps makes the game forget you used cheats). It are these kind of things where you weren't supposed to have acces to cheats and unlock achievements that I dislike.

For other posters, I'm getting a little tired of repeating that this is not a discussion about the rules, and that I don't have a problem with people that use tricks that are within the rules. Please stop making messages like "we aren't breaking any rules, why do you have a problem with us?"

Yaymez, great post. That is indeed true.

Sanger, you also asked why I won't move to games without glitches. The reason is that I'm an achievement (not gamerscore) hunter. I hunt challenging achievements, such as the highest difficulty in games or completing games that are known to be difficult (aka difficult games, he type I like, are often games with abusable glitches). However, as people sometimes dont have the time or can't gain the achievement in a normal way, they start abusing exploits. I find it a bit of a shame that people use exploits to gain achievements meant to be a challenge

Sanger, you also asked why I won't move to games without glitches. The reason is that I'm an achievement (not gamerscore) hunter. I hunt challenging achievements, such as the highest difficulty in games or completing games that are known to be difficult (aka difficult games, he type I like, are often games with abusable glitches). However, as people sometimes dont have the time or can't gain the achievement in a normal way, they start abusing exploits. I find it a bit of a shame that people use exploits to gain achievements meant to be a challenge

There are lots of difficult games without abusable glitches. You shouldn't start a game with a known exploit if it bothers you that much. For example, why 1000G NG2 and complain about it, when you can 1000G DMC4 which is a similar game and almost as hard to 1000G and doesn't have an exploit. Why play Portal in Orange Box when there is Portal: Still Alive on XBLA with no known exploit?

I don't want to dictate what games you should find fun, but why play games with known exploit and then complain about the people that use the exploit? It's there, it's known, people will use it no matter how much you complain about it.

In general, I'm ok with these. The example I gave (Portal) has cheats to make the achievement far easier. However, using cheats disables you from gaining achievements (bolded so that people will read it). People use cheats, and then abuse an oversight in the game design to still gain achievements (saving before the end, completely shutting off the game, loading the save and walking 2 steps makes the game forget you used cheats). It are these kind of things where you weren't supposed to have acces to cheats and unlock achievements that I dislike.

The case you are making is one that I have been saying for a while: The QA team should have a scorewhore on staff. They need to have someone who will almost break the game to try and extract every ounce of gamerscore. It works both ways, though, since there are achievements that will glitch if you play the game too much. But simply because the developers failed to plan for all the eventualities when they put these exploits in the game doesn't mean we should be barred from using them. If you don't want to use them, don't use them, but gamers are smart. If there is a way to get around the system while remaining in the rules, someone will find it. If someone wants to use these exploits, fine, but just because you don't want to use them doesn't mean that you should try to change the system to suit your needs. Game the way you want to, be proud of what you want to be proud of, but right now, the system allows it.

It seems more like you are worrying about how random people will see you. Like they will check your tag and see you have achievements that can be obtained through exploits and think less of you. Your gaming life will get a lot easier when you stop worring about things like that.

There are lots of difficult games without abusable glitches. You shouldn't start a game with a known exploit if it bothers you that much. For example, why 1000G NG2 and complain about it, when you can 1000G DMC4 which is a similar game and almost as hard to 1000G and doesn't have an exploit. Why play Portal in Orange Box when there is Portal: Still Alive on XBLA with no known exploit?

I don't want to dictate what games you should find fun, but why play games with known exploit and then complain about the people that use the exploit? It's there, it's known, people will use it no matter how much you complain about it.

Its the reason for the question in my sig which games I should try. I didn't know Still Alive was considered difficult, while many people seemed to hate the Aperture Science achievement. I'll check the achievement list to see how it is, thanks. I also didn't know DMC4 is almost as hard as NGII, most people that talked about said that NGII was clearly harder.

edit: just looked at the DMC4 forums. http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=208187

Everyone thinks NGII is harder, some compare DMC's highest difficulty and S-ranks with NG's medium (warrior) difficulty, and one person said that DMC was as hard as playing Master Ninja on NGII while using the invincibility glitch (you can't get hit, so you run to the bosses, wait for them to stop attacking, slash once and become invincible again). However, the gameplay seemed interesting, and my summer holidays just began, so I might buy it if the game is cheap (either 7 or 22 pounds, depends whether the lower cost ship to the Netherlands)

another edit: the overal difficulty for Still Alive is considered to be 3/10. Aperture Science, when you use the cheats, is still considered the most difficult achievement in the game of difficulty 7/10. I know these were just examples, but choosing for DMC4 or Still Alive would be less of a challenge than the games I've beaten.

The case you are making is one that I have been saying for a while: The QA team should have a scorewhore on staff. They need to have someone who will almost break the game to try and extract every ounce of gamerscore. It works both ways, though, since there are achievements that will glitch if you play the game too much. But simply because the developers failed to plan for all the eventualities when they put these exploits in the game doesn't mean we should be barred from using them. If you don't want to use them, don't use them, but gamers are smart. If there is a way to get around the system while remaining in the rules, someone will find it. If someone wants to use these exploits, fine, but just because you don't want to use them doesn't mean that you should try to change the system to suit your needs. Game the way you want to, be proud of what you want to be proud of, but right now, the system allows it.

It seems more like you are worrying about how random people will see you. Like they will check your tag and see you have achievements that can be obtained through exploits and think less of you. Your gaming life will get a lot easier when you stop worring about things like that.

Like I said before, I seek achievements that will challenge me while still being in a genre I enjoy playing. It isn't necessarily about the way others view me. The original aim of this topic was to find out what personal satisfaction others would get if they didn't have to work for an achievement. I didn't see the reasons for just wanting to get achievements if they no longer held their original meaning (a sign of a certain accomplishment). I also never wanted to change the system.

However, while exploiting mistakes in the game to gain achievements isn't particulary harmfull, it is the same reason many people abuse glitches in multiplayer games. "It's in the game so I may use it, it's my game and I can play it how I want". While they meanwhile ruin the experience for others. Not trying to say that things are the same for achievements, just that the statement of "its in the game so I will use it" is not always a justification.

Edited by Castlevania1995

Like I said before, I seek achievements that will challenge me while still being in a genre I enjoy playing. It isn't necessarily about the way others view me. The original aim of this topic was to find out what personal satisfaction others would get if they didn't have to work for an achievement. I didn't see the reasons for just wanting to get achievements if they no longer held their original meaning (a sign of a certain accomplishment). I also never wanted to change the system.

So you are saying that you want a challenge, but feel no need to challenge yourself if there is an easier way to do it? You'll have to excuse me, but that makes no sense. If you are looking for a challenge, there are many out there. Some of them have nothing to do with achievements, so there is no lack of challenge out there if you want to find one. Though I'm not sure why you feel as though having an easier route availible somehow cheapens your accomplishment. If it is a personal accomplishment, it is still an accomplishment. You did something one way, others may choose a different route. It doesn't make the feeat any less impressive.

So you are saying that you want a challenge, but feel no need to challenge yourself if there is an easier way to do it? You'll have to excuse me, but that makes no sense. If you are looking for a challenge, there are many out there. Some of them have nothing to do with achievements, so there is no lack of challenge out there if you want to find one. Though I'm not sure why you feel as though having an easier route availible somehow cheapens your accomplishment. If it is a personal accomplishment, it is still an accomplishment. You did something one way, others may choose a different route. It doesn't make the feeat any less impressive.

What do you mean? I don't really see how you came to that conclusion (maybe I worded something wrongly?).

With in the genre I enjoy, I meant that I won't play a 700 hour long mmorpg to get an achievement. While it would be a challenge, I just don't like mmorpgs or hardcore rpgs, so I'm going to play one.

I then said that I wanted to know what satisfaction others would get by using exploits etc. Did I word something wrongly, or did you misinterpret my post? Because I don't really understand where your post is coming from...

Thanks for the turret advice, but I completed the game already by playing it).

Actually, no, you haven't. You're only at Rank 40. There's a Rank 50, approx. 60,000 more ADAM required.

There are two that I personally disagree with. Namely time saving for things you haven't beaten yet, and fun. If you want to save time or simply have fun, why do you have to go for the achievements. You haven't proven yet that you are able to meet the achievement's requirements, and most people aren't near the top for gamerscore to have a reason for wanting to save time WITH ACHIEVEMENTS. This is especially true for challenging achievements, why do you want to save time on them, what is it you want to gain by cheating it. Do you just want the gamerscore?

Are you dumb? Did you check the address bar? Do you know what website you're at? Did you seriously just ask that question?

An achievement is an achievement, plain and simple. Here you are, saying that achievements should unlock naturally. In your world, nobody would play for the achievement, because otherwise, it'd be boosting. Therefore, following YOUR OWN logic, any achievement you have looked at, and said, "I'd like to get that", you cheated. You boosted the game to unlock that achievement. You boosted because you did not unlock it "naturally". In your world, every single achievement would be labeled "Secret" until it's unlocked, and NOBODY would know what it was until it unlocked. Because, if you knew what it was, and went for it - you were boosting it. You boosted Rocket Man in The Orange Box, unless of course; you just fathomed the idea on your own to carry the gnome all through the game, and knew to put it in the rocket. (I highly, highly doubt that)

Hmm. Ironic. Achievement complainer...called out for the exact thing he was complaining about. :p

In game glitches and cheats in video games have been around for 30 years now. If you're old enough, you'll remember 'The Konami Code' for Contra because the game was so difficult for the average gamer. If a glitch or cheat is in a game, then it's the gamer's decision to exploit it or not. Sure the glitch in Bioshock to get the Brass Balls achievement pisses me off, especially when I see my fellow completionsists on my Friends List using it, but I'm not going to hassle them about it and tell them "You shouldn't use that, or you're less of a gamer than I am". It's the person's choice to use it or not, and it shouldn't be up to you or me to tell them differently.

As for boosting for multiplayer achievements. Again, this is up to the individual and what they think should be the right way to go about it. I can only speak for myself on this subject, but I boost games because I hate multiplayer versus. I purchase a game for the single player experience, and also coop if it's included. I consider multiplayer versus to be a tacked on feature of alot of games when it should have been left out completely. Games like Bioshock 2, The Darkness, and Overlord. These games didn't need multiplayer, and to me it wouldn't matter if the online community was completely dead or had thousands of people playing it, because I want the game completed. And the fastest way to complete any annoying tacked on multiplayer is to boost for the achievements. Otherwise I'd be sitting there for months, playing a feature I absolutely despise when I could be playing another single player game and enjoying myself.