Tips for skills

GRIMFISTED

It's impossible to say for sure without a look at the code, but the main theory at this time is that yes, it's random, and yes, the odds of getting an upgrade goes down as the level goes up. Killing an officer while satisfying several different requirements gives you a chance of getting any one of them, but never more than one upgrade from a single kill. The main support for this theory is the provable fact that you CAN get two upgrades to the same skill from two consecutive officers, though this generally only happens in the really low levels.

There is, however, an alternate theory that postulates that the game DOES keep track of how many you've killed under the right circumstances, and that your odds of getting an upgrade goes up with that number. There's no tangible evidence of this, other than the basic 'It seems to work that way to me' line, but it gives you hope that your hard work will eventually pay off - and thus, the belief in it persists even in the absence of proof.

Well before my save went bye bye it took me 10+ runs of yellow turban conflict to get fortune hunter to 17. When I started again it took 2 runs to go from 7 to 20 thats proof enough for me. The fact that you can Interim save and keep quiting and reloading until it levels up is also proof.

Edited by The Duke of Darkness

• 1 month later...

First, I'm not very far into the game (~10 hours?) and I don't have very powerful characters yet, so I've only been playing on Normal in both the Story and Ambition Modes.

It seems to me that some characters seem to be better at unlocking skills than others. I'm not just talking about them being able to do it - such as Fortune Hunter. I'm talking about them having a better chance at unlocking certain skills as compared to others. For instance, when playing one character, I would more often get a specific skill, and when playing another character I would more often get a different skill - even when trying for a specific skill (e.g. Steely Heart.)

So far I've at least managed to unlock all skills, and some are at lvl 12-14.

All except Equestrian that is. I've never gotten that once.

Is there a special trick I need to do here?

I've whittled down an officer and then hopped on a horse to finish him off with regular [x] attacks

I've killed an officer while seated on my horse, mashing [x] the whole time.

Nothing. (yes, I made sure the battlefield log credits my character for the kill.)

Do I need to use a musou attack on a horse? Do I need a better horse (like Red Hare?) Or, as my observations imply, do I just need to use an officer who is better at unlocking the Equestrian skill? And if so, who?

First, I'm not very far into the game (~10 hours?) and I don't have very powerful characters yet, so I've only been playing on Normal in both the Story and Ambition Modes.

It seems to me that some characters seem to be better at unlocking skills than others. I'm not just talking about them being able to do it - such as Fortune Hunter. I'm talking about them having a better chance at unlocking certain skills as compared to others. For instance, when playing one character, I would more often get a specific skill, and when playing another character I would more often get a different skill - even when trying for a specific skill (e.g. Steely Heart.)

So far I've at least managed to unlock all skills, and some are at lvl 12-14.

All except Equestrian that is. I've never gotten that once.

Is there a special trick I need to do here?

I've whittled down an officer and then hopped on a horse to finish him off with regular [x] attacks

I've killed an officer while seated on my horse, mashing [x] the whole time.

Nothing. (yes, I made sure the battlefield log credits my character for the kill.)

Do I need to use a musou attack on a horse? Do I need a better horse (like Red Hare?) Or, as my observations imply, do I just need to use an officer who is better at unlocking the Equestrian skill? And if so, who?

To be honest, I'm pretty sure there is no character science involved in the least. I've got most skills to 20 now and from what I can tell it is all picking your name out of a hat (the higher the ability level the bigger the hat). My equestrian was one of the first I got to 10 but topped out at 12 for some time. All I did was use a halberd on a horse. If you play higher difficulties your chances are higher as well. The only character I used was Zhou tai (like my name implies lol) besides story. If I were you I wouldn't worry in the least about getting everything to 10 quite yet anyways, as the randomness of unlocking ability levels will just play out as normal through your story line play through and your beat every level play through, let alone ambition. I've played enough dynasty warriors to understand how you want to implement a science to the random and try and help you do things faster but in every single dynasty warriors the bottom line is it is simply up to the gods. Yet every game, I start thinking in the same vien. These games mess with your mind.

Also, and maybe this spoils the fun for some, but this game has three modes for me, beginner, hard, and chaos. You have to eventually beat everything on chaos but besides that I am always beginner (besides character specific weapons, which can be done on hard). Makes the grind go by much much faster. Normal and easy don't really have much of a point.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, I've gotten my skills over 10 now. The complete randomness is rather annoying.

I'd have rather had some sort of "experience point bar" showing progress towards the next skill level. At least then you could potentially unlock level 20 while playing on beginner...but it would take you a very very long time.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...