Game design

deathwaker

Ok i have no idea if anyone will be able to help me but i have been searching for ages for an answer and i hope you can help. I have spent the best part of 3 years thinking of games that could be made and put on the production line e.g a scary/horror game like the old resident evil and dino crisis games etc things that used to be really good but there was always some little problems or things that could be made better. So i have not so much designed but wrote down the scripts for characters or contents of the game and also designed them onto my laptop and things like that. Now my friends have looked at these so called "games" and said that they are really good and if it was ever made they would be highly interested in buying these games which brought me to think about this. To get to the point i have some very good ideas i would like to turn into a game the thing is i have no idea how to get hold of a company to give my ideas to OR to produce these games my self (I highly doubt as id have no idea what im doing to make it into an actual game) but i do not know of anyone who has actually ever done this before so i was wondering if any of the community knew what to do. If you do i would love to here as i think its time to get out all these ideas and finally do somthing with them and start my dream of putting a game on the production line.

I do hope someone can help me i hope everyone can read this i just realised its quite bulky :/ my apologies

Diddywaker

im absloutely loving the replys guys thankyou so much i have had a couple of gos at game creation so hopefully i should grasp the consept quiet easily tufty the UDK only has an hour left so i will be having a crack at that il have a look around while im at it and find a way of contacting EPIC the thing is im worried about giving away my ideas and then they steal them its a big worry for me and paka im taking a look now i hope its helpful anyone has any ideas id appreciate it

For something really basic to get some practice try out blitz basic, its a 2d game code compiler. To get the free trial you can download it from there site and its 60 usd for the full program. blitz basic is easy to learn so its good start, i have programmed some basic games with it once you learn it you can actually do some advanced stuff. there is book with a good outline for learning the language called game programming for teens which also come with the trial version.

blitzbasic.com

im absloutely loving the replys guys thankyou so much i have had a couple of gos at game creation so hopefully i should grasp the consept quiet easily tufty the UDK only has an hour left so i will be having a crack at that il have a look around while im at it and find a way of contacting EPIC the thing is im worried about giving away my ideas and then they steal them its a big worry for me and paka im taking a look now i hope its helpful anyone has any ideas id appreciate it

With Gears of War 3 and Bulletstorm I doubt EPIC has time to steal anyone's ideas.

If UDK isn't your thing then you could create you games in Visual Basic or Visual C#. You can get both of them here.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/downloads/

It costs money, but if you look for the 2005 edition it should be free.

There's loads of tutorials on MDSN.com

;3255713']You could also try your hand at C# with XNA. Then you could make yourself some Indie Games and actually have them available to Xbox gamers. I'd actually like to do it myself' date=' but don't think I'd find the time to learn... :rolleyes:[/quote']

id love to try this out too but i just dont have the time or motivation to learn how to programme properly.. Epecially cause itll probebly end up crap :p

My dad is a Teacher of C#,C++,Visual Studio and stuff so if i really wanted to learn im sure he would help me.

id love to try this out too but i just dont have the time or motivation to learn how to programme properly.. Epecially cause itll probebly end up crap :p

My dad is a Teacher of C#,C++,Visual Studio and stuff so if i really wanted to learn im sure he would help me.

Your dad teaches it and you don't have the motivation to learn it? That's free lessons right there - I'd definitely do it if I were you! :rolleyes:

I dont have the time to do it though, Neither does he at the moment, Hes in the middle of a 6 month contract and i have a job..

Plus me and dad dont learn that well together... Arguments happen..

NOt too sure if he does beginner stuff either, He teaches courses for Learning Tree and i think the people on the courses all have a decent amount of programming experience..

Programming isn't something you just pick up and decide you're going to do it. It's extremely frustrating and time consuming. I took me 3 months, by myself, to program a game that still was incomplete at the end of the day. It only scored me 92% but the game wasn't that fantastic. If you really want to make a game yourself then you'll have to invest quite a bit of time in learning how to program. You'll end up with hundreds and thousands of lines and something could go wrong anywhere. Once that happens then you'll need to scan through and fix it and that could be restructuring a few hundred lines. It's tedious and long work. That's the life of being a programmer. I ended up deciding never to touch Computer Science after highschool as I spent 4 years in highschool taking every programming course and realized that I could not live my life sitting in front of a computer for 50-70 hours a week with tight deadlines.

Programming isn't something you just pick up and decide you're going to do it. It's extremely frustrating and time consuming. I took me 3 months, by myself, to program a game that still was incomplete at the end of the day. It only scored me 92% but the game wasn't that fantastic. If you really want to make a game yourself then you'll have to invest quite a bit of time in learning how to program. You'll end up with hundreds and thousands of lines and something could go wrong anywhere. Once that happens then you'll need to scan through and fix it and that could be restructuring a few hundred lines. It's tedious and long work. That's the life of being a programmer. I ended up deciding never to touch Computer Science after highschool as I spent 4 years in highschool taking every programming course and realized that I could not live my life sitting in front of a computer for 50-70 hours a week with tight deadlines.

That's why I give up, but I've started learning again and it's not that bad, nut I'm not ready for the big stuff yet.