final fantasy 1,2,3 etc,etc

deathwaker

Ok il start of by saying that i am a hardcore final fantasy player i love to play these games all of the time when im out and about at school in my frees or in the car when theres a long journey ahead etc on my psp or my DS now i was wondering if by any chance they would be remade and possibly released on the xbox you know like a remake or just porting it over because it would be pretty cool to have all of the current final fantasys (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,etc etc) on the xbox360 with 1k gamerscore like a normal game does because i have talked about this at school with a few mates and all of them would be up for buying it if it was ever released and it would be easy to make the game have 1k gamerscore achievements with the amount of content that is in these games (for example the first final fantasy the achievements could be: level up for the first time - 5G obtained the rat tail and upgraded your characters classes - 20G etc etc) so i was wondering if anyone on this board thinks it would be a good idea and a good investment to remake or port the games over to xbox360 and who would buy this if it went through because i for one and 7 of my classmates agree that this would be a good investment and well worth the time and money.

• 2 weeks later...

1-6 would be xbox live titles I would assume (actually not sure of the size of them all ). And the others would probably be like 7 and 8 together on a disc or two, etc. It would be cool, and I would definitly get them even though I have most of the FF games on other systems. I could never beat 1 though. I got stuck a while after you get the ship and don't know where to go.

I am actually more surprised that they haven't released FF1 & FF2 for XBLA seeing as how it's been ported, revamped, remade, for just about everything aside from the Atari 2600. :p

Of course you have them for the original systems NES & Famicom (FF2) then they were released on a compilation disc for the PS1, then re-released on the Wonderswan & GBA, then remade/updated/tweaked etc for the PSP, then on the Wii Shop, now on the iPhone & probably on a ton of other cell phones in Japan.

It would obviously make sense for them to bring it to XBLA and the legions of Square & Final Fantasy fans would gobble it up, then add in achievement hunters, and a whole new generation of gamers who might not have played it. Then seeing as how they had remade and ported it so many times I really couldn't see how they could lose money by having a small development team port it over again to the Xbox 360.

But seeing how Square listens to there fan base like the equivalent of speaking to a brick wall (how many years have they been asking for a FF7 remake??) something like this that makes so much sense will unfortunately never see the light of day. With that said I do hope that they prove me wrong because I would definitely be one of the first people to wait and purchase any old school FF compilation they bring to the Xbox 360.

I am actually more surprised that they haven't released FF1 & FF2 for XBLA seeing as how it's been ported, revamped, remade, for just about everything aside from the Atari 2600. :p

Of course you have them for the original systems NES & Famicom (FF2) then they were released on a compilation disc for the PS1, then re-released on the Wonderswan & GBA, then remade/updated/tweaked etc for the PSP, then on the Wii Shop, now on the iPhone & probably on a ton of other cell phones in Japan.

It would obviously make sense for them to bring it to XBLA and the legions of Square & Final Fantasy fans would gobble it up, then add in achievement hunters, and a whole new generation of gamers who might not have played it. Then seeing as how they had remade and ported it so many times I really couldn't see how they could lose money by having a small development team port it over again to the Xbox 360.

But seeing how Square listens to there fan base like the equivalent of speaking to a brick wall (how many years have they been asking for a FF7 remake??) something like this that makes so much sense will unfortunately never see the light of day. With that said I do hope that they prove me wrong because I would definitely be one of the first people to wait and purchase any old school FF compilation they bring to the Xbox 360.

I completely agree with you. While I would buy them the instant they were made available, I just don't see it happening.

I have been saying since forever that Final Fantasy I, II, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, and IX should be added to the Xbox Live Marketplace, and to be completely honest I can no longer see any reason for not doing so, and plenty of reasons why they should (other than profit which is a given).

1. The first point I want to make for why they can is this bullsh*t lie that Sony has exclusive publishing rights to the Final Fantasy games, more specifically to VII, VIII and IX, it'll be long and confusing if I try to write it as a sentence so I'll just show who published it where below (those without a region next to them where published by same company everywhere).

VII

PlayStation

Japan -Square

North America - Sony

PAL - Sony

International - Square

Windows

Eidos Interactive

PlayStation Network

Square Enix

VIII

PlayStation

Japan - Square

North America - Square/Electronic Arts

PAL - Square

Windows

Japan - Square/Electronic Arts

Europe - Eidos Interactive

PlayStation Network

Square Enix

IX

PlayStation

Japan - Square

PAL - Square Europe

Europe - Infogrames (Platinum)

PlayStation Network

Square Enix

As you can see only IX is an actual PlayStation Exclusive, also the games all have multiple publishers and VII was the only one to be published by Sony and most importantly of all the latest releases of the games while on a Sony platform (PlayStation Network) where published by Square Enix and not Sony, I am pretty sure if Sony had exclusive rights to these three games that first VII and VIII wouldn't have reached PC and they would have all been published by Sony in every location and not by Square/EA/Eidos/Infogrames which is what happened(sorry that took so much space, but people have to understand this).

2. The other negative I want to kill right now is the size issue, while it's impossible to know the exact size of the downloads after the tweaks to make them run on 360 just a quick look at other download releases can give us a rough look at what to expect them to be, the average download size for Final Fantasy I to VI is between 12 and 15MB, as for VII, VIII and IX the PSN download size for these games are 1.23GB, 1.78GB and 1.5GB respectively, all of which fall under the 360s 2GB limit, and if any required tweaks did push the games over the size limit (which only VIII looks likely to do) why not split the game into two downloads (it shouldn't be hard to do seeing how the games are already split into parts anyway) and split the price so say if they wanted to charge 800msp for FFVIII they charge 400 for part one (discs 1 and 2) and 400 for part two (discs 3 and 4), im sure that they could get it to work fine, just like a DLC add-on.

These two things have always been the key arguments for anyone who says that the Final Fantasy games can't be added to XBLA (well for VII, VIII and IX anyway) but, as I have shown, the truth is the only thing stopping them from been released is Square-Enix themselves, they have full rights to all the games and if the file size limit does cause them problems it can be easily solved due to the only games that could hit it been in parts anyway so releasing them split shouldn't be difficult if they had to.

As for why they should be released, XI and XIII where both released on 360 and it is possible that XIV is also going to be released (Microsoft and Square-Enix where in talks about bringing it to 360), which clearly shows that Square-Enix is keen to get Final Fantasy into as many places as possible and what better way to show there support to both the series and 360 than by releasing there best loved games onto XBLA, also we technically already have a Final Fantasy game on XBLA, its a Tower Defense game called Crystal Defenders, plus Square-Enix have also published a number of other XBLA games, including the timed exclusive Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, so they are aware that it is a good platform to release there games on, and then there is the fact that the first six Final Fantasy games have been re-released more times than any other games ever made, so its not exactly something Square Enix isn't used to doing.

Also they must know it is something that us 360 gamers want, here at 360 achievements alone we get one of these topics every month or so, and if thats the case here then other sites are probably getting similar topics popping up often too and the fact it would cost Square Enix peanuts to do it I be you they they will at least be considering it.

Anyway that is it, sorry about the wall of text, but when it comes to Final Fantasy a lot of bull gets spoken about who owns the rights to what and I wanted to set the record straight before this topic gets turned into another one of those arguments topics like all the rest, but as I said they CAN be released on XBLA if Square Enix wants to. Do I think they will? I feel it is very possible that we will one day see I, II, IV, V and VI added to the market place seeing how there pretty much everywhere else, and I would like to say we'll see VII, VIII and IX added too but to be honest while it is doable and I want them to be added to XBLA more than anything else, I still wouldn't get my hopes too high for it to happen, but there is nothing stopping them but themselves.