can no longer connect to xbox live

deathwaker

ok i was able to connect to xbox live until a few days ago everytime i try to connect xbox live it comes up with network failed and it doesnt let me connect i have done everything it has told me to do like reseting my router etc etc creating ip manually (although im not sure if i got my ip address corect i duno how to check) so im not to sure what to do now would anyone be able to help me work this out? im not sure what info you need so whatever you need just ask and il provide the info but i really wanted to get my connection working before the weekend as the Gf is coming over and she likes to play cal of duty black ops online with me so would like to get it fixed by then if anyone could help cheers

Since you messed with your settings manually and your not sure what you are doing I would go ahead and reset your router (it should have a reset botton on it) that way anything you inadvertantly screwed up will return to factory settings. Once you reset the router you will have to reconnect it to your xbox. I am assuming your connection is wireless. When you attempt to log into live it will ask to auto or manually search for a network. Just select auto and usually several will pop up (yours and your neighbors) select yours obviously. It will then ask for your encryption key code assuming you have security in place (which you should or others can use your connection and fuck your bandwidth). This should be a 26 letter and number combination. If you go into your router info it should be easily found. Type that into your xbox and you should be set.

When you try to connect to live does your xbox connect to the router before you get the network failure message? In other words when you connect to xbox live your console first connects to router, then to the internet, and finally to xbox live. Where in this process do you receive the message?

Edited by ExtremeRugburn

If your looking for your IP and its going to a router, easiest way is to log onto it. usually the first page that comes up has your info. I'm not 100% sure but most are along 192.168.100.??? but you can change it to anything you would like.

Like some have said the easiest way to do it is a hard reset where you push a button down and hold it for a a few seconds. My old linksys was a bit of a problem child with me having to do that once every so many months.