ideas for a first car?

Colossal Chode

You can still find many cars with low mileage in your price range. Just search on Craigslist or Autotrader in your area (or close to) with $3000 set as your max. Honda and Mitsubishi are good first cars, but you might have to pay a but more to find some in decent condition. An Eclipse and a Civic were my first two and I still have them to this day.

• 2 weeks later...

An older Hyundai may be a good option, too. My first car was a 1995 Hyundai Scoupe. It had no power, but I just floored it everywhere and it still got good mileage and had enough acceleration for most cases and was fun to drive. It withstood 6 years of oil changes at 12,000-mile intervals and still ran perfectly (was driven 100 highway miles to another location) even after it was totaled in a 40mph accident. Never had any rattles, had the best-sounding car audio system I've experienced (I replaced all the stock equipment, but great speaker locations and easy to rip everything out and put it back together)...I could go on and on. It was a great first car. I'd recommend something that doesn't have a lot of stuff that can break...it didn't have power windows, power seats...just had A/C, heat, and power steering and that's it.

Normally I would say something with a big motor but, with gas prices what they are today, I can't say that anymore. :mad: I have a small v8 in my truck and I get about 23 on the highway. Not bad for a full size truck. My first car was a POS camaro. 3.8L 6 cylinder, low and loud. Being a 16 year old kid, I loved it and thought I was a badass.

It really depends on what kind of car you're looking for. I love cars myself, so I'm willing to sacrifice gas mileage to get something that I like but, if that isn't your thing, then something that will get you from A to B is all you need. I know that Hondas are good cars. Strong motors with great gas mileage.

Good luck to you. I'm sure, whatever you decide on, you'll love it.

getting my first car soon, i looked for many but still don't know. I plan on spending 3 grand and down...

Your first car should be basic A-B transportation. Something you can change your tire on the side of the road. Judging by your profile pic, you are a MN native. I am as well, what I can tell you is make sure the car you purchase doesn't have too much rust. My first vehicle was an 87' GMC sierra which had seen 9 MN winters. Had no floor boards, and the exhaust fell off one day from rust. Also the heat didn't work which I didn't find out till that winter. Have it checked out by a professional mechanic if you can, and get a Carfax report.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't get your hopes too high, everyone's first cars are pretty much junk. I had a 1968 VW bus (lime green) for my first car... yeah, that thing last exactly six months before it died. My first "real" car was my 2000 Saab 9-3, man that thing was fun to drive.

Well depends if mechanically inclined or not.

If not: Corolla, Camry, Civic, Accord. (with accords I saw someone with one that had 1 million km on o.d.o)

If: you can look at project cars that are almost complete (but then again might not have time / money for parts)

My First car was Toyota Tercel, gave it to my brother when I got new car. Still on the road and he treats his cars like crap (forgets oil changes/ regular maintenance)

I'm not a huge fan but, Honda has a good handful of reliable, older cars that you can get for low prices. Like the Accord or Civic. But, I've never owned one, just going off what people have told me and from what my friends have had.

My first car was a '90 Nissan 300ZX.. decently fast and sexy, loved it to death. But god, I had to repair so much on it.. the repairs probably ended up costing twice as much as I paid for the car. Oh well, it was worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember the car that I drove for driver's ed was the Chevy Cobalt and that was a fun, little car.

I would suggest getting Honda or Toyota if you are getting something older than 2005 since they are reliable. Also depends on the size that you want. Camry is my choice for the next car that I will get but I was also thinking about the Civic.

I am currently driving a '98 Dodge Durango and it is a gas whore. Whatever you get, make sure you get better than my 12 MPG!

My first two cars were Chevy Cavaliers. The first one was a 1985 Cavalier that was my great grandmother's car originally, then my brother's, and finally mine. It lasted til my senior year of high school (way back in 2005) when I bought a 1996 Cavalier which I owned until last month. They get good gas mileage but they're nothing special. Good starting car, basically.

In case you are curious, here's my new car:

http://distilleryimage3.s3.amazonaws.com/dd50588ac27511e285e022000a9e51fb_7.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...