Worth a Buy?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a typical movie game.....(bad graphics, camera issues, stupid AI) my second time around is just a bad as the first play through. Normal and Hard are fairly similar and might as well be easy....and the kinect games are awful

I regret ever playing this game for the achievements :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would rent the game, unless you have a Harry Potter collection going, then I would wait until the prices drop (as the secondhand market will be flooded with this game). Ultimately, without Kinect you can only get 915 of the 1000, and the game itself has some major issues. Besides the covering mechanic being broken (I can cover behind one rock but not another, and both get me shot regardless), and the lack of time actually put into the game (come on, there are only a total of what, 6 character models for enemies including the spiders) it just shows that they are banking off the movies success. They even screwed around with some of the plot points in the film to make it flow better with the game.

So if you're looking for the achievements, I would rent it. I found a copy at my local library and I had it for only a few days and only have a handful of achievements left.

I wouldn't recommend this game at all, it is nothing like the previous titles. You go through the whole game tapping (A) and there is only about a half an hour of story related gameplay.

It is full of these stupid minigames of killing people.

Horrible game and i do not recommend it to anyone, i am a bit of an achievement whore and will play it to the end though, trying to bring myself round to finishing it lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was pretty disappointed with this game considering the rest of the series. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance but I was thoroughly upset about halfway through and moved onto another game. Since I bought it, maybe I will give it another chance sometime and it may change my tune, but for now, I've got better things to play i.e. L.A. Noire!!! Definitely a rental game, that's the route I wished I had taken instead of wasting my money, but I got caught up in the " for the Kinect" drama of it (which is not as good as it would seem, carpal tunnel here we come, snapping of the wrists...) :) Love HP though, fabulous stories and wonderfully adapted films. Thanks J.K. Rowling for a wonderful creation!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
i love the things i've read here in this thread alone. you guys are hilarious. seriously.

this was an impulse buy for my girlfriend while we were in gamestop. she's yelling at it right now ("i don't get this stupid thing." "where am i supposed to go?").

so i'm enjoying it...

Yeah, this is dead on.

There is a spell that tells you where to go by shooting out a little light trail to follow. But it randomly does or doesn't work, and sometimes actively leads you to the wrong place.

Harry has a health level, but there is no visible meter. The only way you know that you are hurt is that the screen goes black and white when you are down to something like 5%. This often means that the next hit will kill you, but it is probably do late to do anything about it. Oh, and most of the levels are pretty gray to begin with so it's hard to be sure when the screen changes. You heal by standing around doing nothing... but how long does it take? There's no way to know.

The camera is atrocious:

- It is positioned at mid-chest height, right behind Harry. So much of the time you can't actually see where you are going or what you are shooting at because Harry's back is filling too much of the screen.

- If you move the camera up to look over Harry's shoulder, it constantly tries to move back down. You have to wrangle it constantly just to walk around without catching on rocks and stumps. This is difficult under the best of circumstances, and physically difficult to do while holding the A button to run.

- At maximum sensitivity, Harry turns way too slowly to react to the enemies around you.

There is a zoom feature that on completely random occasions will decide to zoom in really closely on something halfway across the map, although most of the time it just gives about a 10% zoom. The same button is used for locking on to targets. So in the heat of battle you are suddenly studying the texture on a pillar in the distance when you wanted to target the guy standing 10 feet away.

As stated by someone else here, the cover system doesn't work very well. Even if you find something that will let you take cover on it- don't! If you get close to an object, enemy spells go right through it. Just stand back where it can't get you.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...