Broken Bond vs Ninja Storm...

Both titles have been announced, both look great and I can't wait to play Broken Bond and try Ninja Storm.

Broken Bond is staying true to itself as a sequel of Rise of a Ninja and according to Ubisoft Montreal will 'contain less focus on fighting than Rise of a Ninja and more focus on the adventure aspect' which is something I felt needed addressed in Rise of a Ninja.

Hopefully it won't be 6-8 hours for main storyline completion like Rise of a Ninja... something more like 12-16. It covers episdes 81 - 150, or round about that mark picking up at the end of the Gaara arc, exactly where Ninja Storm picks up aswell. Konoha is in a state of destruction and is being repaired when Naruto must do what he does best... try and save Konoha and get one step closer to becoming the Hokage.

Apparently the fighting system has been fixed, and still has real-time jutsus as well as the amazing counter system. Power attacks have been given a nice 'screen flash' effect with japanese hirigana/kanji appearing on-screen kinda like a Batman-cross-Anime style which adds style to the fights and is very much like the Street Fighter IV trailer.

Whole new range of jutsus, as well as the ability to pull off jutsu's mid air, making an insane amount of performable combos!

As with a lot of games, the recurring 3-man-team style has made its way into Broken Bond where you have to use your whole team to progress through the game, as seen in the gameplay video where as Naruto you have to create a bridge with shadow clones and then use Shikamaru's shadow manipulation jutsu to pull a lever opening the gate at the other side. And with Neji's byakugan being well implemented you can sense/see enemies and invisible traps although we havn't seen how it fairs in fighting mode. All this allows for deeper, greater puzzles rather than simply having Naruto use 1 of 3 jutsu's to progress.

And onto the fighting, we have a 'team-switch' system where you can switch places with another member of your team allowing you to switch if Naruto is no use against a certain enemy and even team-attack the enemy for big damage. It looks like it's going to be great fun! This system is very much like Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha, an early title on the PS2 and was a great addition to a great game... so hopes are high that it works well here.

Online play is definitely coming to the 360 version, with at least one new mode - TAG Team where it is a 2 on 2 fight to death! No other details have been revealed but my hopes are on that 2 on 2 means 4 players. Ninja Storm for the PS3 however will not support online play and is purely a fighting-based title with no adventuring whatsoever but there seems to be a little in the trailer for it.

Naruto also has the ability to use his Rasengan, as seen in the fight with Kabuto.

With 25 playable characters, this is looking to be one of the best, most epic anime-title games out on the market. Graphics look simply amazing, the scenery is so detailed and the characters fit perfectly into the world. From the screenshots I've seen the new, revamped Konoha design looks gorgeous.

Confirmed characters (with links to Wikipedia):

Screenshots

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/890/890192/-e3-2008-naruto-the-broken-bond-screens-20080715054144493_640w.jpg

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/890/890192/-e3-2008-naruto-the-broken-bond-screens-20080715054146852_640w.jpg

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/890/890192/-e3-2008-naruto-the-broken-bond-screens-20080715054149071_640w.jpg

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/890/890192/-e3-2008-naruto-the-broken-bond-screens-20080715054152180_640w.jpg

Click the links to see the full size shots, it's necessary to see the full beauty of the graphics!

It seems Ubisoft have taken lend of the 'cel shaded on 3d' style of the upcoming Prince of Persia, and it seems to fit perfectly here!

Fun fact: At the end of the Gaara battle on the upcoming PS3 game, Ninja Storm, you see Gaara on top of the demon's head - Gaara is wearing his Naruto Shippuden (Naruto: Wind Chronicles) outfit and not the original outfit he should be! At least our developers got it right! ;)

Both games look great, and both will be worthy titles to any gamers collection. I think I'm going to go with Broken Bonds... the fact you adventure through the story rather than fight through it appeals to me more than what Ninja Storm has to offer - which appears to be a typical DBZ-esque game style where you just fight stronger and better AI until you kill the final boss.

Enjoy folks, I'll post more info as soon as I get it.

Edited by Falcongale

Those are two different games, it doesn't make sense to compare them. For me, Broken Bond is the real Naruto game. If there will be game (from Ubi or not, but for X360) with most of the characters presented in the anime and with idea that RoaN started it'll be 100% Naruto game in game. For me, Ultimate Ninja Storm is something like DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi series. That means soso game, nothing superb. That's of course only my thinking ;) :woop:.

Those are two different games, it doesn't make sense to compare them. For me, Broken Bond is the real Naruto game. If there will be game (from Ubi or not, but for X360) with most of the characters presented in the anime and with idea that RoaN started it'll be 100% Naruto game in game. For me, Ultimate Ninja Storm is something like DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi series. That means soso game, nothing superb. That's of course only my thinking ;) :woop:.

It does make sense to compare them as they cover pretty much the exact same span of the anime, just in different ways. You forget some people here also have a PS3 aloing with the 360.

Ninja Storm is more like Burst Limit. It's going to be really good but it will hold nothing over Broken Bond in my eyes.

Hey hey, I didn't say that Storm won't be a very good game. For me, Storm is going to be something like DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi, which is good game, but nothing more. That's all. If I would have PS3, sure, I will be happy that I can get another Naruto title on it. But I don't have and don't want to. Faster I'll buy PS2 (second time, btw ;) ) for Ultimate Ninja 1-3/ Narutimate Accel and Budokai 3 than PS3 for Storm :). I like traditional 2D fighting games with characters made in 3D, maybe that's why I don't like Budokai Tenkaichi/Storm that much ;).

EDIT

New videos from Broken Bond:[ame=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37634.html] first[/ame] and [ame=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37635.html]second[/ame]. It looks very good, hell yeah :woop:.

Edited by chrPL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Regardless of which one is better doesn't bother me the slightest as I will get them both :) what bothers me is wondering if Ubisoft are going to bring back the return of that horrid forset of death online shit combined with achievements. ROAN was sweet but forest of death spoiled it for me seriously. I got all the achievements withing the 1st week of having the game (apart from glitched collector) but the online achievements, I was looking forward to having tournaments with my friends & earning them that way so im just hoping if theres any they can be got in player.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry if this spoils some of you people.

Will Ubisoft make a Naruto Shippuuden(Hurricane Chronicles - I think its the english) game after Broken Bond and Rise of a Ninja?

This is a little weird - the game is named Broken Bond shortly before Naruto Shippuuden Movie 2: Bonds came out in Japan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Why do we get the Naruto games SOOOOO LATE?

Blame the yanks. Broken Bond is coming in-line with their release of the post-gaara/shuukaku fight part of the series until sasuke leaving Konoha to be trained by Orochimaru part.

Whereas people like me, who have been watching the subtitled-straight-from-japan version for over 5 years have to suffer. It's crazy to think I've been watching it for 5 years but it's 5 years that I've enjoyed every bit of!

I've been watching Naruto, subbed, since the beginning... Hell man, 5 years, didn't realize it was that long. Yeah, they've got Shippuuden games out in Japan, it's just a matter of the Dubbed version getting caught up. Lame really, but I don't know Japanese so buying one of the Jap Shippuuden games would do me no good.

• 2 weeks later...
* 2 Story Modes

to me, this is the best point to make about NTBB.

WOW did not realize it had been 5 YEARS for subbed naruto. lol i did NOT realize that lol i can't say that i enjoyed the fillers upon fillers that there were, but i have enjoyed everything else.

I will get both, but since ninja storm doesnt have achievements and after I read some interview with the maker saying that trophies and sixaxis are useless (I agree with the controler part) I will say that the 360 naruto game will be better for me overal, the only fighting game I would play w/o achievements and have fun is SF4.

Not to sound self spoiling or anything, but I put down a preorder on both games. Now, i really REALLY dont want to get drawn into one of those wretched console-war discussions: I just figured the PS3 is a decent system, and one day I'd like to get one, and when I do I'll have Ninja Storm to play on it. Besides, the guy at EB said that since I preordered Storm, I get some kickass character statue about yay-tall (at this point he put his hands on the counter, a little under a foot apart).

sides, on my bookcase right now Ive got a bunch of Naruto games across all the systems. It's a nice set! Theres a DS one, the 2 PSP Ultimate Ninja's, the 2 ps2 Uzumaki Chronicals, the 3 english Ultimate Ninjas, the wii'se Clash of Ninja and the 360's RoaN.

It actually looks pretty eclectic, but hey, its still nice. Oh, and before you ask, im in Australia, and that statue was the offer here at the EB. I've got no idea what other countries are doing.

• 3 weeks later...

I have ultimate ninja storm & it's great! Much better than the horrible rise of a ninja we got on the xbox but i will be getting this game myself in few hours time, I just hope they've ditched the stupid platforming sections that ruined the 1st game (Everyone remembers the episode where naruto platfrom jumps of boats & then runs a stupid time trial across tazuna's bridge before confronting haku) "Sigh" I Can't wait for an actual shippuuden game to get a release but that will be doubtful for a couple of years yet as the japanese series is only 85 eps in & would be caught up with in no time if they decide to dub it 2 early.

Blame the yanks. Broken Bond is coming in-line with their release of the post-gaara/shuukaku fight part of the series until sasuke leaving Konoha to be trained by Orochimaru part.

You can't tell me you're keeping pace with the Japanese releases of Naruto over there in Scotland. I love how that's your answer to everything though.

In scotland we're at the start of Saving Sasuke.

Im up to date though, so dont worry. ;)

My comment was directed at Falcongale. He made it seem that the reason Shippuuden games haven't come out outside of Japan is because the US isn't at Shippuuden yet and everyone else is.

I'm up to date too. I watch the DB encodes. Download them, re-encode into wmv 720p with Xilisoft encoder and stream over the 360. The english voices... I'm cringing thinking about it.

Down with dubs!

I have both games but they both have their pros and cons.

Ninja Storm looks AMAZING, I mean they could make the whole Naruto series like that and I wouldnt complain at all. Broken bond's visuals leave something to be desired, especially if you have been playing Ninja Storm for a couple of weeks before hand.

But, of course, Ninja Storm has its down side, and thats pretty much the gameplay. Yeah its a decent fighting game, but thats pretty much it. They have some tree climbing race minigames and also the hop through the forest minigame but thats pretty much it for variety. Fighting the Giant Battles in Storm is pretty entertaining, especially during the button input scenes, like I said, it looks amazing. But thats it, no online play either and exploration in Konoha is so limited and flat out pointless that they could have just done without it.

Broken Bonds on the other hand delivers very nicely in their variety in gameplay. With the plethora of mini-games, it offers much more than just 1 vs 1 fights, and also gives you a hand full of characters. The jutsu scenes are entertaining, and much more interactive than just watching a cut scene after pulling off an ultimate attack. Story wise, it does a decent job of covering those filler episodes along with the main story line. You will find yourself looking for Tsunade with Naruto and then disarming paper bombs with Neji. The team tag battles are new to the 360 Naruto games, which definately give it a new twist, but it still retains its 2d style of fighting, where Ninja Storm has the whole 3 dimension style.

In the end, its really up to what you like in a game that decides which is better. Personally, I wish these two games could just work together to deliver great gameplay with fantastic visuals and make one of the best Naruto games to date, but sadly I think we will all just have to wait to see if the 360 version of Naruto amps up its visuals or Ultimate Ninja moves to a better story telling, variety giving version of itself.

PS- I pick Broken Bonds, cause even if it isnt the "really hot girl that makes your jaw drop" you still get the "average looking girl that you can learn to love with time"...yeah, I used that analogy.

Edited by NEO CRIMS0N

Yeah, Ive got them both too, and like its been said before, its a matter of personal preference.

Ninja Storm is the superior fighter - the mechanics and engine behind it are superb. A simple jump is an acrobatic leap, complete with mid-air weapon tools throwing if you throw them. The speed is very-ninja like - a dose of chakra when applied to the dash equals your character zip zagging in record speed towards their opponent. Also, the jutsu, coupled with the visuals, are just eye candy. Use Shino's Ultimate Jutsu and your treated to a magnificant "ace in the hole" tornado show, complete with a birds eye view down through the eye of it before a swarm of insect pupa smother the enemy. Hinata's 8 trigrams 64 Palms version is Hi def beauty, which finishes with her landing straddeling her opponent (and as a bonus, if said opponent is Naruto, she hops up with a dark blush quickly). Finally, the best part is the characters. You can make your own team - if your one of those people who cant stand Sakura, you can just skip her. If sasuke isnt your style, replace him with Lee. Also, extra characters are available to be downloaded periodically free - by early next year the 1st and 2nd Hokages, Anko and others will be available - Shizune's already been released. Theyre support only but its a bit more fun.

To that end, the only real area is a realistic (but much less detailed than Ubi's) Konoha to explore and canon through. The story is much like the rest of the ultimate ninja series - told in text form just before a fight. Its a fighting game, pure and simple, but the ghraphics are increcible - when they use them. the movies are few and far between, with most of them occurring during the Giant summon fights - but when they are there, theyre clearer and sharper than the anime could ever have them.

Broken Bond (and to that end, RoaN) is an rpg fighter. It gives you a crowded, hi def Konoha with bright colours, excellent detail, and in the first game, the unmistakable Leaf Villiage theme music. The Tag fighting system is fun, and well suited to the style, but anyone whose foght enough online fights have probably wished once or twice that it was a little simpliar. Jutsu use of using the twin sticks gives an added depth to it, where Storm just uses the Triangle button to utilize chakra. Ubisofts story mode is also superior, (unless your one of those fanatics that just go "any real fan throws up from this story" - go check out Ubisofts boards and see for yourself - theyre there!) and mainly because.. well, storm doesnt have much story.

Music wise, Ubisoft uses real songs used from the show - Strom uses medleys and music that just sound Naruto-ish, mood music to be sure.

Item wise however, I think personally Storm is more fun. Where Ubisoft has coins and ryo to buy weapons and scrolls to enhance your style, storm uses scrolls and ryo to buy new jutsu for the characters. Also, storm follows its previous games in that you can buy figures, music, movies of the ultimate jutsus etc etc. Most fun of all is buying combinations of these will occasionally make a diorama of the anime's best scenes. the first one available includes the use of the 1st naruto figure, Naruto's jutsu movie and the music for the training ground - they crate a nice 3d rendered scene which plays the "Thousand years of Death" moment from the early episodes training exercise.

Right down to the wire, its personal preference. If your mad for fighting games, go after storm - its brimming with Naruto's characters, jutsu's, and the best graphics you'll ever see on a Naruto game to date. theres only play modes for local multiplayer and not online, but again, after enough play online on BB or RoaN, you might even be a little grateful for the lack of preasure.

If you prefer more story, depth and hands on experience, and dont mind Ubi's lack of characters (or indeed, your favourite characters are already there, ala Neji and so on - Im still snakey they dont have Tenten, Shino and Hinata), pick Ubisoft.

Or if you really can, pick both! Both systems will prolly come down in price eventually, and then you'll already have a Naruto game to play as soon as you get the one your missing (but lets face it, if your reading this, chances are you have the 360).

After having played both games myself now i see that Ultimate ninja storm wipes it's arse on the BROKEN bond & kicks it to death in it's sleep, Ubisoft can't make a decent fighting mechanic with poor jutsu's, boring specials & the bloody pointless & annoying rage mode, I thought i would give them a second chance after rise of a ninja was such a sham but i wish i had given my money to a cripple instead (Actually i did 'ubisoft' lol) Oh & if your going to ruin a forthcoming shippuuden game leave out the Fu***ng childish platforming bullshit as the story line in that is a lot more serious (People dying ect) A naruto game should always be about the combat & Jutsu's & in the case of this game it's definitely BROKEN :mad: