Rushing.

RenegadeSniper7

Do you rush?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Do you rush?

So, I pretty much hate Halo Wars when I play it on Xbox Live now because of rushing. I'm lucky if it's just one guy, but when two, or even three, people rush me at once, it's completely pointless. I either get swarmed with Warthogs, swarmed by Hunters and the Arbiter (who is also overpowered to boot), swarmed with ODSTs, or swarmed with some other manner of cheap, early on attacks.

Now, I know there are those of you out there who don't rush, like myself, but Ensemble kind of screwed us non-rushers over - with only four turrets per base, and most of the time only two of them can hit the enemy when they attack you, it's hard enough. Add in the fact that the turrets are overpriced, take too long to build/rebuild when in combat, do next to no damage, and are decimated in a matter of nanoseconds, and you are entirely screwed - unless you rush.

I'm sure the entire Ensemble development team never expected their online community to consist of lowlife, spineless rushers, whom I deem about as respectable as those who glitch in ranked matchmaking, but they should have had some way to combat it in the event that it occurs. Sure, I could waste my entire economy that takes too long to set up effectively on Warthogs to combat their rush, but that is not only no fun, it leaves me without any money, even if I manage to fight them off. If I'm playing 3 on 3 and my teammates don't help me, I'm also screwed.

You can see what I'm getting at here. This thread is just a rant/discussion about rushing and why you hate it. It's not the fact that it happens, it's the fact that I'm powerless to stop it because I don't have any way to defend myself. No extra turret placement like in Command and Conquer, and no wall building like in LOTR: BFME II.

If Ensemble, or "Robot Entertainment" as they are now called, doesn't find a way to fix the rushing problem, I might as well trade in Halo Wars and get some money back, because I will not start rushing other players.

**sigh**

Just post your thoughts on rushing. I'm so damned tired of it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rushers are a problem largely because most online players are too ignorant to understand that both winning and losing give them full points, as well as the general low quality of RTS players on consoles meaning advanced strategy is beyond them, and rushing is all they can comprehend.

I don't normally rush but when I do I just use 2 or so locusts or something to take out a few key structures then move away so they can't build up as quickly anymore.

And although rushing can be easy to counter, sometimes you can be ready to counter a rush that isn't coming, leaving you more open to a larger army, OR as RenegadeSniper7 said you get rushed by 3 people (in a 3v3 game) and your team either aren't willing to help or physically can't due to no troops.

I almost always play 3v3 so I often get rushed by 3 people and sometimes my team help and we bounce back and win, other times I get destroyed and they follow shortly after.

I admit I hate rushing/rushers but if done effectively it can net you some okish points, if you play well, and allows you to win fairly easily. all in all it's just a strategy and tactic that works but leave you either praised or hated by the people you play with.

I'm fine if they rush me after 10 minutes but before that time if they send their leader you cannot defend against him, even if I build countless flamethrowers at the start unless i'm versing the arbiter I get aniliated in a few seconds and with the arbiter it's like a 50/50 chance of me winning, not to mention that the other team hasn't even wasted any resources so a few minutes after I have hunters and banshees knockin on my door while i'm still trying to finish off my 2nd supply pad.

Warthog rush is easy to counter, it's when they send gremlins in as well that it's almost impossible to defend against. Warthog rush can be easily stopped by building an airpad and 10 hornets which takes a shorter time than it does for them to get gauss cannon, do this if you're the chick since you will upgrade that unit later so even if they don't rush you havn't wasted your resources.

If you're Forge then build spartans and the anti-vehicle vehicles, they own gauss warthogs but you will need at least 4 of them as well as spartans to defend against 10+ warthogs.

If you're the ship commander guy then upgrade your warthogs and build spartans, these warthogs are useful in taking over nearby bases and defending against their units. If you suspect they are not rushing then you can send your warthogs to their base and either take out their warthogs that they're building up or send ur warthogs back.

Only build about 5 warthogs if you're going to defend with them and put spartans in them, do not build too many as it is a waste of money as you only need to defend your base, not invade theirs.

The only way to stop a cov rush in under 10 minutes is to spam infantry units as well as upgrading them, make sure to build spartans first as if they send their leader 3 spartans can just manage to take him out.

It is really annoying to get rushed by the leader, Me and My friends were playing against all brute chieftans and 2 of them were captains and 1 major, and as soon as we started to play we new they were rushing, So when they came we ended up counter rushing 2 of their leaders but the other one had to many brutes with him so we just self destructed and we were telling our selves that they must play some lot to get major off 300exp per game.

I either get swarmed with Warthogs, swarmed by Hunters and the Arbiter (who is also overpowered to boot), swarmed with ODSTs, or swarmed with some other manner of cheap, early on attacks.

You do realize how long it takes to upgrade to ODST units right? If a person can get reactors up and amass ODSTs and you still arent prepared to get attacked it sounds like you just plain suck.

You just need to play faster, and face the facts. People aren't going to wait for you to be ready.

There's like a bajillion threads on rushing and of the ones I've read some people are anti-rushing and others pro-rushing with some mediating saying full hero/hog rushing is bad but taking out a reactor or a supply pad then leaving is good tactics as it allows you to build up an army whilst they lag behind not being able to build as quick

Off topic bit:

However I've found that most pro-rushing people come across very agressive and just say 'you suck at life if you can't beat my rush' and/or 'stop complaining just cause you wanna build up a perfect army and take ages doing it' etc etc

Which I think is very counter-productive and just proceeds to make people hate rushing/rushers even more. As I said I know this is off topic but I just think people come across abit overly agressive. Everyone's entitled to their opinion and if someone's opinion goes against yours I don't think they should have to be shouted at for it

My main view is people who complain about rushing are mostly those who don't do anything to defend against it. Stop putting so much damn importance on early teching and get units to defend your ass. You can't fight with upgrades.

Yes, I rush

No, I don't Covie Leader rush 2 minutes in

No, I don't Warthog Rush

You call me spineless? I'm not the one who needs a parameter of time to do well.

I could personally care less. Just like with any game I hate when people bitch about other people's strategies especially when 99% of the time, the people bitching have the exact option to use said strategy. It's either Juggernaut and MP40's in Call of Duty, Battle Rifles/Assault Rifles in Halo, and in this case Rushing in Halo Wars.

I have played maybe....10 ranked games and 5 games with my friends. I should be about 8-7ish. I lost my first 5 games however, due to rushing right into playing someone else.

In my losses, Yes I've lost to rushers. Most of the time I don't get rushed though, so it hasn't been a problem. There are many strategies online as to how to stop a rush. Yes, I am the type to get all supply pads and a single reactor, and try to get as many resources as possible, recycle and then build army. Rushing has murdered me. Shit, I remember once I got rushed by a single arbitar and ghost and it took me a good 5 minutes to kill both, because of how weak my defenses were. Since then? I've learned. You learn with your mistakes, especially in a WAR game.

For all the people who hate rushing, u should try the deathmatch modes, everyone starts off with fully upgraded units, which u can start building with in a couple minutes of the game, so rushing is almost impossible to do effectively, and is a great fun to play in, and u get a load of points, in 1 game yesterday, that lasted about an hour and a half, in 2v2, we managed to get about 15k exp each, even though we eventually lost, and most game that we play normally last between 20 to 40 mins, and we still take anywhere between 4 to 7k a game

When will these stupid threads end?

Rushing is part of the game. Learn to live with it or find another game.

It's really not that hard to counter a rush. 95% of rushers use the same tactic as the last one. You should know exactly what to build to counter a rush by looking at the scoreboard and seeing what leader your opponent is using.

If you honestly believe anyone is going to sit there and wait 10 minutes for you to get your super units and get ready to attack, you're playing the wrong sort of game.

Rushing is an extremely valid tactic, which is why it exists in EVERY RTS game. If you can't counter a warthog or leader rush, then I'm sorry but you do just suck. Yeah, that might make me sound "aggressive" but I don't rush for the kill. I'm a turtle/tech player, but I know how invaluable it can be to send in some rushing units now and then to slow you down.

I've been rushed countless times, but I've never lost to a rusher. If it's 1v1, I'm going to be prepared for their leader or warthogs no matter who they bring. If it's 3v3 and they rush me, then I'll be prepared and my teammates will help me (I only play party with friends, no way am I going to let myself get matched up with random people that don't know how to play).

Rushing is here to stay; it's just how it is. Either learn to adapt and counter it, or go play something else.

When you lose due to rushing learn from your mistakes make a few spartans (if your UNSC) and slowly build up an army, while you create your base.. If your covenant get your leader and a few of your special units (i.e brutes/elites) and start building up what you need.

I played about 35 games before I was rushed with enough force that I couldnt defend myself, these guys had obviously had some experience rushing (It was a 2v2 party team game) and they were ranked Captain and Major so I didnt expect to win anyway but at like 8 minutes in they sent around 15 banshees and 15 hunters, there was like nothing we could do.

So then my friend and I really wanted to try what they did, and we did, and we did it for one game, and realised how unfair it was, so we havent done it since, but for the most part in 2v2 and 3v3 party games I havent had a significant problem with rushers.

All I know is, when you get a game of Halo Wars 3v3 going, with 2 of your friends its the most fun and most challenging game i've played on my Xbox in a while :p

Protip: Play deathmatch if you hate being rushed, throw up a building and make an army by the time the leader/warthog(s) is/are half way to your base.

Else play 3v3, less rushers.

On a different note, rushing isn't as easy to counter as you all describe. Disruption bomb costs a lot at the early stage of the game and is easily countered by the leader walking/eerily floating around the other side of the base.

Locking the base and making units isn't that efficient either, at the early stage of the game all you can afford are marines and flamethrowers, no respectable rusher is going to leave you with a reactor, these units get torn up by all leaders.

Does anyone else think that the recharge time for disruption bomb should be reduced to approximately the same time as the build time for leaders?

Quick Reply to Original Poster.

Rushing has always been a huge part of any great RTS game. Rushing can just be done by anyone yes, but a "real" pro type rush cannot. The rushes you depict seem extremely n00bish and I can see why you think it is annoying. But keep playing and you will figure out a way to perform a perfect "real" rush, which involes a nice offense while maintaining nearly perfect defense. Rushing is a very basic tactic in the RTS genre and being able to defend against rushes isn't so basic. Like I said earlier just keep playing and eventually you'll get to the point where you'll easily be able to defend against it while putting up your own rush. I used to be extremely frustrated with the game StarCraft which is 10x more exciting and eventful than Halo Wars and I didn't give up. Just keep at it, like I did, and you'll get it down to a science on how to defend and rush at the same time. As "cheap" as many people consider rushing it isn't, it's a very very basic part of any RTS. If they somehow patched rushing out (which sounds impossible, BTW) they would ruin the game comepletely!

Give yourself a fair chance you might even become "GOSU."

i rush as early as i can to cripple or distract my opponent's economy. it buys me more time to get one or two upgrades, and build up my "serious" army. never do i defeat him in one fell swoop; i don't want or expect that to happen. my initial rush is entirely expendable.

granted, i suck at RTS on any system, but i love them, and i'm getting better.

annoy your enemy and he will get flustered. makes it easier to crush him from another direction.

by the way, the poll should include "it depends on the tactical situation and enemy player/faction" as a median option

Edited by Reclaiming Dawn

rushing is the worst thing you can do at halo wars. Firstly if they DO manage to destroy youre army youre screwed. Playing calmly is the best you can do. Rushers are people who play games for achievements or for showing off i just play for fun