How Scary is Alan Wake  

362 members have voted

1. 1. How Scary is Alan Wake

• Far Too Scary!!
    • Scary!
    • Mildly Scary.
    • It Was Scary At Times..
    • Gah! Scary!?! Not Scary At All...

I dont enjoy survival horrors, never have. I dont particularly like just feeling on edge the entire time I play a game. I tried this because I'd heard it had an interesting narrative, and it really did. There were moments when it felt a twinge, but the lack of variety in enemies meant that you pretty quickly learned that 1 strategy pretty much kills every type of taken, which took all the the scares away.

The only bit that really got to me was (SPOILER ALERT) when you have to go through the hedge maze. For some reason that part, all the way to the end of the level from it, had me shaking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I would say it's scary for people who aren't used to horror, especially in games. Whether that's because they have never played a horror type game or it's just been a while.

But it's not the same TYPE of scary as most "horror" genre games. There are not many jump-out-of-your-seat! moments, but plenty of sit-at-the-edge-of-your-seat moments ;)

I'd say it's more of a "psychological thriller", just as it's claimed to be. More about suspense than fear, if that makes any sense.