Both endings in one playthrough?

megregd

I doubt it would work and I personally wouldn't chance it as it may corrupt your save file. I'm pretty sure the game automatically saves once you pick one of the endings.

There's really no point of trying, either. If you're planning on getting all the achievements for this game you need a minimum of 2.5 playthroughs, so you're bound to get both of the ending-related achievements.

No you can't get both endings in one run. I believe this has been covered pretty thoroughly on the forums an in the guide. Like Googles said, for the full 1000g you need to do multiple runs, so if you're going for that the point is rather moot anyway.

You do NOT need to do 2.5 playthroughs of this game. I could have done everything in one playthrough, but my experienced partner was acting as my guide and he forgot that, by speaking to Frampt, I couldn't speak to Kaathe and therefore missed out on the Darkwraith covenant. If we hadn't made that error, I would have tried to do everything in one playthrough.

I had all the miracles except one (which I got within an hour of starting my NG playthrough) and all the weapons except 1 (because people gave me weapons and boss souls as gifts), so that was 36/41 achievements in 1 playthrough, and 39/41 within a couple hours of playthrough 2.

If we hadn't made the Darkwraith mistake, I would have saved before the final boss at the Kiln, copied the file to a thumb drive, uploaded it to my PC and copied it using Xtaf, played one ending, then installed the copied save and played the other ending. This game can be 1k'd in 30 hours with proper planning (which I obviously didn't have).

You do NOT need to do 2.5 playthroughs of this game. I could have done everything in one playthrough, but my experienced partner was acting as my guide and he forgot that, by speaking to Frampt, I couldn't speak to Kaathe and therefore missed out on the Darkwraith covenant. If we hadn't made that error, I would have tried to do everything in one playthrough.

I had all the miracles except one (which I got within an hour of starting my NG playthrough) and all the weapons except 1 (because people gave me weapons and boss souls as gifts), so that was 36/41 achievements in 1 playthrough, and 39/41 within a couple hours of playthrough 2.

If we hadn't made the Darkwraith mistake, I would have saved before the final boss at the Kiln, copied the file to a thumb drive, uploaded it to my PC and copied it using Xtaf, played one ending, then installed the copied save and played the other ending. This game can be 1k'd in 30 hours with proper planning (which I obviously didn't have).

That's technically true. But it takes 2.5 playthroughs to 1000 the game LEGIT. Of course you can skip the other playthroughs if you have a friend drop all of the rare items for you. But that wouldn't be any fun in my opinion. This game is really high quality and has tons of replay value. There's no need to rush it for fast and easy points.

Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with playing it that way if you want. I just don't like to do stuff like that. I just wanted to clarify that since I realized the comment I made could have been misconstrued. This is an achievement site after all. I just don't think of Dark Souls when I think of games that are easy to get achievements in.

That's technically true. But it takes 2.5 playthroughs to 1000 the game LEGIT. Of course you can skip the other playthroughs if you have a friend drop all of the rare items for you. But that wouldn't be any fun in my opinion. This game is really high quality and has tons of replay value. There's no need to rush it for fast and easy points.

Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with playing it that way if you want. I just don't like to do stuff like that. I just wanted to clarify that since I realized the comment I made could have been misconstrued. This is an achievement site after all. I just don't think of Dark Souls when I think of games that are easy to get achievements in.

Hey, now let's put an end to that kind of crazy talk, Alucard. I mean, just for a moment think of someone beside yourself, would you? Think of the ramifications it would have if we had people around here actully playing and enjoying their games and letting the achievements happen naturally as they progress through the game, regardless of how many runs it takes. Just stick to enjoying your games thoroughly that you shelled out $65, and quit filling peoples heads with all that outside the box type of crazy shit. :D :D

You actually cannot copy your save file to a thumb drive. I tried to do that to avoid a half playthrough of NG++ just for the Sif's soul, but the xbox says that the save file is "locked." I ended up having to find someone to let me borrow it for the achievement.

Hey, now let's put an end to that kind of crazy talk, Alucard. I mean, just for a moment think of someone beside yourself, would you? Think of the ramifications it would have if we had people around here actully playing and enjoying their games and letting the achievements happen naturally as they progress through the game, regardless of how many runs it takes. Just stick to enjoying your games thoroughly that you shelled out $65, and quit filling peoples heads with all that outside the box type of crazy shit. :D :D

Sorry ghost. I don't know what came over me. :(

:p

Playing games for enjoyment is a rare concept for some people this generation. I've recently gotten into PC gaming more. And obviously you can't get achievements in most PC games. So my friends on 360 that like to compete to get achievements always point out how they're beating me in gamerscore now. I don't mind though. I'm doing playthroughs of games that I really love and want to experience again. Playing just for the fun of the experience is more gratifying in the end. Not to say that I wouldn't be happy if I could get another set of achievements when I'm replaying the Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Witcher games. :D

I actually am going to be getting some new achievements when I do my PC playthroughs of Dark Souls and Fallout 3. If only all games were like that. lol Honestly I've kind of lost my desire to achievement hunt in every game I play. My goal is to get 100K before the 720 launches. Beyond that I don't really stress too much about completion percentage or anything.

Just thought I'd update this:

The PC version you can pull your save files out and back them up whenever you want (they are in Documents > NBGI > Dark Souls). You can just reload an old save to get both endings in one playthrough.

You'll be doing a NG+ run anyway though, so its pretty pointless.

(Or you can do what Frankie Godskin says, and get an experienced friend to give you everything anyway. But that ruins the Dark Souls experience simply for the sake of getting achievements)

• 3 months later...
it takes 2.5 playthroughs to 1000 the game LEGIT. Of course you can skip the other playthroughs if you have a friend drop all of the rare items for you. But that wouldn't be any fun in my opinion. This game is really high quality and has tons of replay value. There's no need to rush it for fast and easy points.

Playing games for enjoyment is a rare concept for some people this generation.

Beyond that I don't really stress too much about completion percentage or anything.

you can do what Frankie Godskin says, and get an experienced friend to give you everything anyway. But that ruins the Dark Souls experience simply for the sake of getting achievements

I believe people can play games for whatever reasons they want without having to justify those reasons to anyone else. I am an adult and I know what “ruins” a game for me. If I want to buy a used copy of Dark Souls from Gamestop and return it within a week for a full refund, that’s my right, and if that means I want to 1k this game in 30 hours or less, that doesn’t affect anyone else.

The OP asked a straightforward question and was given a misleading answer. I gave him the information I had available. He can do with it as he pleases and he can decide for himself what enjoyment he gets from that experience.

• 4 weeks later...
Wondering if I dashboard out after one of them pops, and load it up again, if my save will explode?

Has anyone tried this?

I know this thread is old, but I was able to obtain alternate ending on my first playthrough. Firstly, rest at the bonfire just before Gwyn/Lordvessel.

Exit game, and "move" your save to your thumb drive and transfer to your PC into a bu folder. Now move your save game back to ur xbox, start game and go kill Gwyn.

Start your NG+ game and go to first bonfire. Rest. Leave. Exit game. Move save to thumb drive and than to bu folder on your PC. Go to your bu folder with your previous Gwyn/Lordvessel save and transfer to your thumb drive. Move save to your xbox, start game, load save and now re-do fight with Gwyn but do alternative ending. I than just reverse process to put move my NG+ game back on Xbox to start my 2nd playthrough.

I got both endings in one playthrough... put my save was on a USB stick. After killing the last boss (waiting a minute and making sure it wasn't saving) I pulled the stick and completed one ending, then dashboarded, rebooted the game and got the other ending no problem.

I love completing games but I really didn't want to play it 2+ more times... I left the game satisfied, lol.