am i the only one who is getting sick of collectables in games

Lewie B I ReQ

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Infamous 1 blast shards... (sorry for bringing up a ps only game :p) took forever to find with no guide or internet. I'll never do that again, for ANY reason!

Unless the collectables actually add something to the game, there shouldn't be any more than a handful. Colectables for the sake of collecting in game is pointless in my honest opinion.

I am be in the minority but I like collectables...there are limits however!

If they have an impact on the game or add to the flavour/extra story (like books or notes ect) then I absolutely love them.

My favourite ones are the riddles (not the trophies but the riddles) from the first two arkham games - got real pleasure out of the nod to source material there to solve them.

However, if the collectibles can't be tracked/viewed and add nothing (no points or extra little story/world tidbits) then I have a problem with them...especially if there are lots of them.

I am be in the minority but I like collectables...there are limits however!

If they have an impact on the game or add to the flavour/extra story (like books or notes ect) then I absolutely love them.

My favourite ones are the riddles (not the trophies but the riddles) from the first two arkham games - got real pleasure out of the nod to source material there to solve them.

However, if the collectibles can't be tracked/viewed and add nothing (no points or extra little story/world tidbits) then I have a problem with them...especially if there are lots of them.

dead rising 3 does just that with 470 pointless collectibles.

shoot 30 speakers

hack 20 cameras

find 20 whiskeys

burn 40 corpses and much more random pointless shit

yeah sure they appear on the map apart from a few glithed ones but damn man they were boring to do

The first spiderman had 700 odd comics. At least they unlocked stuff. Didn't saints row 3 have 1300?

I don't mind collectibles, hunting is fun.

I'm waiting for a game with a dynamic collectible system, so they are random for every game. Therefore video guides can't be used. :)

saints row 3 had 80 i think and they increased your income

saints row 4 had about 1300 and that was actually fun because 1 it increased your super powers and 2 you had super powers you could jump super sprint and glide your way to em all so saints 4 was actually fun

i remember a prince of persia game that had like 1800 orbs or seeds or what ever i got so bored doing that i just gave up and left it

I'm going to agree with BiggD and say there are circumstances where collectibles are okay:

1. Under 100 collectibles. Over 100 is okay if you can get many in rapid succession, I didn't think saint's row 4 was too bad for this reason.

2. The collectibles add to the game and aren't just something that sit there. XP (far cry 3), back story (tomb raider) or items you don't really need (assassin's creed) are all good collectibles to me.

3. A map that you can earn that shows where they are.

4. No collectibles that can be missed in levels that can't be replayed/areas you can't return to.

I don't mind collectibles as long as they don't take as much time to get as the story.

4. No collectibles that can be missed in levels that can't be replayed/areas you can't return to.

I agree with this the most. I hate replaying something completely because I missed 1 thing, I don't mind doing chapters over again though if I missed a collectable here or there.

dead rising 3 does just that with 470 pointless collectibles.

shoot 30 speakers

hack 20 cameras

find 20 whiskeys

burn 40 corpses and much more random pointless shit

yeah sure they appear on the map apart from a few glithed ones but damn man they were boring to do

Didn't actually mind the base Dead Rising 3 ones...gave me something to do while running around - though I think that I mainly didn't mind them due to all my rage directed at the excessive and boring zombie slaughtering numbers I had to grind for. Plus I liked the little stories of the tragic endings.

Was really unhappy with the collectibles added in the season pass dlcs, they were just pointless and I felt that after the number in the base game, going back and collecting more in exactly the same spots was just torture!!

The arcade cabinets and powerups in the super arcade edition were done well though :)

Didn't actually mind the base Dead Rising 3 ones...gave me something to do while running around - though I think that I mainly didn't mind them due to all my rage directed at the excessive and boring zombie slaughtering numbers I had to grind for. Plus I liked the little stories of the tragic endings.

Was really unhappy with the collectibles added in the season pass dlcs, they were just pointless and I felt that after the number in the base game, going back and collecting more in exactly the same spots was just torture!!

The arcade cabinets and powerups in the super arcade edition were done well though :)

haha yeah i did like the tragic end puns now you mention it

the arcade cabinets i didnt mind cos they actually contibuted towards character unlocks, plus theres literally 8 of them.

the episode dlc collectibles were a kick in the teeth lol

Edited by Lewie B I ReQ

I hate collectibles, even if a game is shitty I will do a for fun playthrough and tack on another playthrough for the collectibles. They are also the last achievement in any game that I go for it on. I could sit down and grind out Seriously in Gears of War 1 and still not have found all the collectibles and that would be normal.

The first spiderman had 700 odd comics. At least they unlocked stuff. Didn't saints row 3 have 1300?

I don't mind collectibles, hunting is fun.

I'm waiting for a game with a dynamic collectible system, so they are random for every game. Therefore video guides can't be used. :)

Fear 2 had something to this effect.

I've only played two games where collectibles were done right: Fallout 3 and Halo 3.

Other than those games, collectibles suck donkey balls. They add no value to the game, usually are just there with no real PURPOSE of being there, and usually give no real incentive or reward to the game other than an achievement.

Exactly this. Sleeping Dogs had a good collectible system since they had in-game rewards.

Other than that, most developers seem to throw in collectibles with no real reward other than to pad out the game's length.

Saint's Row IV doesn't seem like it will be that bad. there are 1022 odd clusters (plus 50 other random collectibles) but you can get them quickly.

Crackdown was just about the same way.

saints row 4 really wasnt that bad it was actually fun

crackdown tho screw that game lol i dont remember the orbs appeariing on map either. its been a while tho

I liked to look for those fruits and white-tailed lizards in Shadow of the Colossus. The fruits increased your health bar and the lizards gave you more stamina.

And in Resident Evil 4 I also liked to look for those treasures such as the mask, butterfly lamps, beersteins, etc. Combining those treasures with those catseyes and gems scattered around made the treasures more valuable. Always was looking to sell something to the merchant.

The dog tags in Metal Gear Solid 2 were excessive but they became easier to get after collecting a certain amount so you received the wig for infinite ammo and the stealth camo suit. And the various face paints and uniforms for MGS3 were amusing.

http://www.hbhud.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Crocodile_cap.jpg

Those are some of my favorite collectibles in games and there are plenty of other good examples. As others pointed out though some collectibles can just be far too excessive. I would've liked Murdered: Soul Suspect more if it had fewer collectibles...still feel kinda bad that I rented the game after what happened to Airtight.

Edit: Just realized those examples I gave are all sixth gen games...can't think of many games from 7th/8th gen which featured collectibles I liked, lol

Edited by LickableLemons7

I liked to look for those fruits and white-tailed lizards in Shadow of the Colossus. The fruits increased your health bar and the lizards gave you more stamina.

And in Resident Evil 4 I also liked to look for those treasures such as the mask, butterfly lamps, beersteins, etc. Combining those treasures with those catseyes and gems scattered around made the treasures more valuable. Always was looking to sell something to the merchant.

The dog tags in Metal Gear Solid 2 were excessive but they became easier to get after collecting a certain amount so you received the wig for infinite ammo and the stealth camo suit. And the various face paints and uniforms for MGS3 were amusing.

Those are some of my favorite collectibles in games and there are plenty of other good examples. As others pointed out though some collectibles can just be far too excessive. I would've liked Murdered: Soul Suspect more if it had fewer collectibles...still feel kinda bad that I rented the game after what happened to Airtight.

Edit: Just realized those examples I gave are all sixth gen games...can't think of many games from 7th/8th gen which featured collectibles I liked, lol

in resi 4 you never had to collect the treasures at all really they got you alot of money they were optional, even in the hd remake there wasnt a collect all treasures achievement.

mgs3. camos/facepaints were cool but. those kerotan frogs, fuck those frogs. i never did them on ps2 cause i got stealth by not getting spotted. then comes the hd remake with its find all kerotan frogs which almost all of them are missable. progress to far and you must reload or start over which happened a lot during the end cos they thought it was good to have kerotans spread across the damn bike chase. at least dog tags carried over but still miss one and you gotta restart. would of annoyed me if i missed one on extreme lol

I'm getting sick of collectibles which serve no purpose, especially those which require you to follow a guide. However, since I stopped caring about achievements or going for 100% they don't bother me any more.

The only collectibles I really enjoyed going for, so much so that I went for them on subsequent playthroughs, were the diamonds in Far Cry 2 and the collectibles in Mass Effect 1. Mass Effect in particular was fun because it often involved exploring the uncharted planets and most had a nice little story to go with them. The best part was when you were rewarded in Mass Effect 3 if you collected them.

Collectibles don't bother me too much. I mainly get them if they actually improve my game a bit (such as in Saints Row IV, where you needed to collect Data Clusters to get upgrades for your powers) and not just improve my Gamerscore. Of course, if achievements aren't involved (at least ones that I care to get) or even gameplay, then why bother?

in resi 4 you never had to collect the treasures at all really they got you alot of money they were optional, even in the hd remake there wasnt a collect all treasures achievement.

mgs3. camos/facepaints were cool but. those kerotan frogs, fuck those frogs. i never did them on ps2 cause i got stealth by not getting spotted. then comes the hd remake with its find all kerotan frogs which almost all of them are missable. progress to far and you must reload or start over which happened a lot during the end cos they thought it was good to have kerotans spread across the damn bike chase. at least dog tags carried over but still miss one and you gotta restart. would of annoyed me if i missed one on extreme lol

I wanted the treasures for the money though! I sucked when I first started RE4 and always ended up trying to buy the first aide sprays.

I shot the kerotan frogs in the HD version for the stealth camo, never tried to get it without alerting anyone. The Yoshis in the 3DS version were pretty funny. I forgot, did you earn anything special when you earned the markhor code name? I actually struggled with that achievement more than the kerotans! Hated that tsuchinoko and it took me a while to find The End's parrot.

I kinda hope The Phantom Pain will have a decent challenge though, the cassette tapes in Ground Zeroes were well hidden but once you find them that's it. I want to see more stuff like getting the iPod track when you earned the Big Boss emblem from MGS4 for the Sounds of the Battlefield trophy, but earning S-ranks in Ground Zeroes was easy enough and the recent E3 demo for The Phantom Pain makes it seem like S-rank requirements will be even more forgiving. Maybe you'll get something for earning an S-rank in every mission for The Phantom Pain but it shouldn't be so hard to anyone who's played the previous games.

I wanted the treasures for the money though! I sucked when I first started RE4 and always ended up trying to buy the first aide sprays.

I shot the kerotan frogs in the HD version for the stealth camo, never tried to get it without alerting anyone. The Yoshis in the 3DS version were pretty funny. I forgot, did you earn anything special when you earned the markhor code name? I actually struggled with that achievement more than the kerotans! Hated that tsuchinoko and it took me a while to find The End's parrot.

I kinda hope The Phantom Pain will have a decent challenge though, the cassette tapes in Ground Zeroes were well hidden but once you find them that's it. I want to see more stuff like getting the iPod track when you earned the Big Boss emblem from MGS4 for the Sounds of the Battlefield trophy, but earning S-ranks in Ground Zeroes was easy enough and the recent E3 demo for The Phantom Pain makes it seem like S-rank requirements will be even more forgiving. Maybe you'll get something for earning an S-rank in every mission for The Phantom Pain but it shouldn't be so hard to anyone who's played the previous games.

ah i was pretty damn good at res 4, didnt even buy guns until a gun i actually would settle with popped in the shop never bought the biggest case either

the markhor rank if i remember right unlocked the ez gun which is usually only available if you play on very easy.

i get stealth by doing the game without being spotted it was more fun that way and felt more like i earned stealth. those frogs tho grrrr f those frogs haha

i hope s ranks are harder to get in the phantom pain, they seemed too easy to get in ground zeroes. big boss rank in mgs4 was hard. that bike part in act 3. damn man that was a pure rage fest hahaha

What's worse is if one or two of the collectibles glitch out and you can't find them AKA the FUCKING reason I haven't got 100% on AC1. Can't find 1 or 2 flags (or whatever they were) in one city and followed a couple guides for it and still can't find them. SO aggravating. :mad:

I'm so glad that I never ran into that glitch with AC1, although I did have to go back through a lot of flag locations before finding the one I missed. Not fun at all for a pointless collectible. Not worth the achievement in my opinion.

I'm so glad that I never ran into that glitch with AC1, although I did have to go back through a lot of flag locations before finding the one I missed. Not fun at all for a pointless collectible. Not worth the achievement in my opinion.
It didn't help that even following a guide it was still so vague, trying to find an exact roof top was tricky at times.