Game Info

Minty

Bellevue, WA, July 14, 2006 - Valve, developer of the blockbuster series Half-Life and Counter-StrikeTM, unveiled Team Fortress 2 and Portal, two new games to be included in its next release, Half-Life 2: Episode Two. In addition, the studio announced its plans to deliver these products, plus enhanced versions of Half-Life 2 and Episode One, in one tremendous package for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

"By evolving our development process to an episodic approach, we're able to reduce risk from things such as schedule and funding and invest more in new types of gameplay," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "This allows us to produce innovative titles such as Portal and Team Fortress 2 and deliver them in a timely fashion to customers along with Episode Two."

Episode Two advances the 16-million unit selling franchise, as Valve's trilogy of episodic single player releases continues the award-winning story of Half-Life 2. Armed with new weaponry and vehicles, Dr. Gordon Freeman must race through a countryside riddled with an increasingly feirce Combine threat.

Team Fortress 2, an all-new version of the title that spawned team based multiplayer action games, features the most advanced graphics of any Source-based game released to date. Players choose from a range of unique character classes such as medic, spy, sniper, or engineer and must work together to complete a variety of tactical objectives.

Portal is a new type of single player game that changes how players approach, manipulate, and surmise the possibilities in a given environment in a manner similar to how the Gravity Gun changed our approach to how an object may be leveraged in any given situation.

Team Fortress 2 and Portal will be included with all retail and Steam versions of Episode Two for the PC. In addition, these products plus Half-Life 2 and Episode One will be available in one tremendous offering for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. New videos from Episode Two, Portal, and Team Fortress 2 will be released next week.

About Half-Life 2

Half-Life 2 has been named Game of the Year by over 35 organizations and sold over four million copies worldwide. The intense, real-time gameplay delivered in the Half-Life 2 games and Team Fortress 2 is made possible only by Source, Valve's proprietary engine technology.

About Valve

Valve is an entertainment software and technology company founded in 1996 and based in Bellevue, Washington. The company's portfolio of entertainment properties includes Half-Life, Counter-StrikeTM, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress and Portal. Valve's catalog of products accounts for over 20 million retail units sold worldwide, and over 80% of PC online action gameplay. In addition, Valve is a developer of leading-edge technologies, such as the Source game engine and Steam, a broadband platform for the delivery and management of digital content. For more information, please visit http://www.valvesoftware.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
ah! i love the half life serie! gonna get the last episodes on xbox360. my computer cant handle hl2 anymore :S :(

same for me... it will be cheaper to buy a 60 dollar game then upgrade my pc though i have played the game many times along with episode one

• 1 month later...
Hmmm I seemed to think that Microsoft only allowed up to 50 achievements on a disc...

Before I go on i must ask if this is a Disc title or if it is a downloadable game from marketplace...if it is then i withdraw my thoughts... TELL ME IN NEED OF ENLIGHTENING

Juiced has 60 in it. I though the limit had gone up to 80 now including dl content, but as seeing orange box is a few games on 1 disc maybe ms let them have more

Hmmm...I did not know that..

well in anycase this is a little weird, i guess there gonna do a game someday which will be 'this game has 200 achievements worth 1000 gamerpoints' (all are 5's) XD

still 99 is a bit on the odd side and whats the freaking deal with the 2 pointers and all these obscure numbers?!

the game looks good i am a fan of Half-Life but i still dont know why they call it "The Orange Box"

• 4 weeks later...

Unless you are looking to unlock achievements and play TF2 religiously, you may want to hold off. Portal is definitely something cool to experience too, but it will be over in a few hours. Ep. 1 & 2 are also a few hours long each.

IMO, Portal & TF2 were awesome and for me, were worth it alone. I never had a good enough computer to run HL2 so all that is bonus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Can you get all the achievements if you rent it? I probably gonna buy this game but if it could be 1000/1000 in a rental then I could put my money else where.

i seriously doubt it. maybe if you've got nothing else to do for a week, but even then... there are FIVE games in the orange box, almost 100 total achievements, and some of them are really under-rewarded for their difficulty levels.

i've had the game since about christmas, and so far i've gotten all achievements in hl2, ep1, ep2, and all but the three "science" medals in portal for doing all the challenges and winning gold. sadly, i don't have live (yet) so the tf2 ones are a no go...

i seriously doubt it. maybe if you've got nothing else to do for a week, but even then... there are FIVE games in the orange box, almost 100 total achievements, and some of them are really under-rewarded for their difficulty levels.

i've had the game since about christmas, and so far i've gotten all achievements in hl2, ep1, ep2, and all but the three "science" medals in portal for doing all the challenges and winning gold. sadly, i don't have live (yet) so the tf2 ones are a no go...

Well now that you put it that way...lol. Thats a lot of achievements! I really want this game, but theres a ton of games coming out this year that are Must Have. How long do you think it will be before it gets a price drop? I hate that you dont have online arachnophilia, thats why I think that developers should be more thoughful when making there achievements. I didnt have live for ALONG time and had already sold Full Auto and Tony Hawk AW and now cant find them anywhere. Well I guess The Orange Box will just stay on my long ass "to get list" :p.

Well now that you put it that way...lol. Thats a lot of achievements! I really want this game, but theres a ton of games coming out this year that are Must Have. How long do you think it will be before it gets a price drop?

dunno. to be honest, when i bought my 360, this was my "must have." my other "must have" (gta4) isn't out... i bought it used for about $55, so i don't think it's going down anytime soom. i don't normally like shelling out 60 bucks for a game, but this one is well worth it. lots and lots of content.

I hate that you dont have online arachnophilia, thats why I think that developers should be more thoughful when making there achievements. I didnt have live for ALONG time and had already sold Full Auto and Tony Hawk AW and now cant find them anywhere. Well I guess The Orange Box will just stay on my long ass "to get list" :p.

i hate that i don't have online too! my options are to either buy a wireless router (~$100) and a wireless xbox adaptor (~$100) and get a crappy connection from across the house, or buy the VGA adaptor (~$40) and move the whole thing next to the computers and use a monitor and a hard-line ethernet. i might do the second at some point.

i hate that i don't have online too! my options are to either buy a wireless router (~$100) and a wireless xbox adaptor (~$100) and get a crappy connection from across the house, or buy the VGA adaptor (~$40) and move the whole thing next to the computers and use a monitor and a hard-line ethernet. i might do the second at some point.

you could just buy a long ethernet cord like I did and run it from your router to your system. I got mine kinda hidden so that it doesnt trip anyone up and I get to play without moving my system, Win-win for everyone:).