Halo: TMCC Ranking System Detailed

Thanks to IGN for the coverage, though it doesn't answer all questions:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/29/halo-the-master-chief-collections-ranking-system-detailed-ign-first

"Each playlist within Halo: The Master Chief Collection uses an independent skill-based ranking system that is identical to the leveling system from the original Halo 2," the studio told IGN. "The system uses the same exact XP requirements as the original Halo 2; players will earn XP when they win and lose XP when they lose, and total XP will determine their rank. You will have a skill-based ranking per each playlist; we ultimately decided not to have a 'master' ranking across all four games combined, given that player skill and approach varies radically between game chapters.

"Additionally, we’ve also modified matchmaking to use skill detection, which will put players into the fairest matches faster than any Halo game to date," a studio spokesperson continued. "In ranked hoppers, players will be evaluated after each match and can go up or down in ranks depending on how well they perform. Social matches [Ed. note: read: 'unranked'] will also be available for players who prefer a more relaxed play experience."

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2014/10/TMCC-UI-Multiplayer-Ranking-Pick-A-Fight-720x405.jpg

Edited by BiggD

I probably will be playing social games as likely to be playing alone and even though i can hold my own, I'll probably end up losing xp and end up de-ranking

I was never the best at Halo, but my friends and I are definitely going to be trying our best in the Ranked playlists. We're not as competitive as we were in 2007/2008 so we'll see what happens!

Though Social games are always very fun. A nice break from the more serious matches.

thats a real game killer and i think 343 is throwing themselves under the bus yet again with this. Its fine to progress up and down with W/L but this is a really good example of what not to do, basically what this says is if you want to play ranked games, you need to play lone wolves which is rarely a fun experience because of kill steals and what not, or you have to play with a team cause your never gonna get anywhere without it, your gonna get paired up with crap players against a team of 4, they already confirmed they werent splitting teams up based on how many people you had with you or not and that was H3's best feature. I could be wrong but im pretty certain this new info is going to kill the halo franchise even more than 4 did, if this is anywhere near as bad as some of the predictions are, 5 better be a masterpiece of halo is done for :(

Edited by Reach Infinity
forgot letters

thats a real game killer and i think 343 is throwing themselves under the bus yet again with this. Its fine to progress up and down with W/L but this is a really good example of what not to do, basically what this says is if you want to play ranked games, you need to play lone wolves which is rarely a fun experience because of kill steals and what not, or you have to play with a team cause your never gonna get anywhere without it, your gonna get paired up with crap players against a team of 4, they already confirmed they werent splitting teams up based on how many people you had with you or not and that was H3's best feature. I could be wrong but im pretty certain this new info is going to kill the halo franchise even more than 4 did, if this is anywhere near as bad as some of the predictions are, 5 better be a masterpiece of halo is done for :(

You don't necessarily have to play with a dedicated team for Team Slayer and other team-based games.

For example, if you're playing Team Objective and your team wins, you'll rank up. Next time you play, you'll only be playing people your rank, so it's not as if you're ever going to be paired up with average players. Every match will be balanced.

I don't know. I think this is 100% fair. You win, you rank up. You lose, you get de-ranked. That's how MP should be. You shouldn't be rewarded for losing like in Halo: Reach or Halo 4.

Nahh, how cool were the Eclipse, Inheritor Nova emblems in reach?

they looked oryt. wouldnt say they were worth putting time into the game. screw playing reach for that long.

most people got those ranks from firefight. the amount of inheritors(not all) that were actually shit players but you look at their stats and they have an insane amount of firefight kills

i prefer what they are doing now. sure in halo 3 i never got rank 50 but at least i felt like i earned my number rather than i played the game for x amount of time

Edited by Lewie B I ReQ

Nahh, how cool were the Eclipse, Inheritor Nova emblems in reach?

Reach ranks were worthless. They may have looked cool but the fact that they're time dependant and not skill dependant just makes it really pointless and worthless. Wouldnt have it been better if you unlocked, say Inheritor, through skill rather than through the amount of time you played game? It would have made the Rank even more worthwhile and more important to you as a player.

Reach and 4 had the worst ranking systems ever. Noobs should be penalised. Standard. End of discussion. I dont like the fact that losers still get exp. Its stupid.

"Look at me. Im inheritor. I've spent more time on this game than you and that makes me automatically better." NO! Reach and 4 lost something that was important to Halo. It lost bragging rights. At least with MCC trash talking and bragging rights are coming back. I cant wait!

Reach ranks were worthless. They may have looked cool but the fact that they're time dependant and not skill dependant just makes it really pointless and worthless. Wouldnt have it been better if you unlocked, say Inheritor, through skill rather than through the amount of time you played game? It would have made the Rank even more worthwhile and more important to you as a player.

Reach and 4 had the worst ranking systems ever. Noobs should be penalised. Standard. End of discussion. I dont like the fact that losers still get exp. Its stupid.

"Look at me. Im inheritor. I've spent more time on this game than you and that makes me automatically better." NO! Reach and 4 lost something that was important to Halo. It lost bragging rights. At least with MCC trash talking and bragging rights are coming back. I cant wait!

Preach it, brother!! :D

I never really cared about all that TBH. I understand the need for a ranking system, but I just don't really care about someone's rank. I think there should be a competitive ranking system and a credit system.

I felt Reach's system pretty satisfying not being that competitive. My poor reaction time is genetic so I won't be getting more skilled anytime soon, but Reach's sytem showed dedication to the game I think. There have been rank boosters in every game, and that won't stop. I think there's room for both systems in Halo.

@ radzakpak

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Halos but there's really no "rank boosters" or at least successful ones. Simply because you can't choose your opponents and even if you could (by like changing region/language or whatever) you all have to be the same rank so it wouldn't work. Plus Halo has a VERY strict Banhammer

Anyways on topic:

Being a huge halo fan and a veteran of the series I am pretty disappointed about the decisions they’ve made on the playlists. When I heard they were bringing back the ranking system, me and my bro freaked and got super excited to get those level 50's again. If you don’t know about this ranking it's probably one of the best I've ever seen (and I’ve played many games) it requires dedication, teamwork and mastery at the game. This ranking system shows skill, it's very rewarding and worthy, I simply don't know any other like it. We haven't had this ranking system in over 6 years and im so happy its coming back, but there's a few issues.... Ok soo there are 5 classic playlists in Halo, those are; Rumble Pit, Doubles, Team Slayer, Team Objective and Big Team. These should automatically be permanent playlists, I don't understand why theres soo many random and specific playlists in the MCC. Those classic 5 should all be ranked and never be rotated so you don’t lose that rank (like they did to my level 50 Team Objective in Halo 3). Whos great idea was it to combine playlists?! I completely hate that and that's not it, they freakin slapped all 4 games in some of these playlists! That’s just retarded, even if they provide a veto system you'll have all these slayer and objective game modes smashed together and you'll have to vote for which Halo. They should just have the 5 classic playlists, make them ranked and then let you choose which playlist and which Halo, then search (it would be extra awesome if each game had a individual rank, so you can have four level 50s in EACH playlist) they are 4 DIFFERENT games after all, all playing completely different and have different maps/weapons and styles. Then they can have other rotating playlists like Multi-team, Swat, Snipers, MLG, Infection, etc and make those social/unranked. If I want to play Halo 3 Big Team or Halo 2 Doubles they should give me that option and not just smash everything together. This is just gonna make it messy, and ill never get to play all of my favorite maps or game modes/playlists if they keep it like this. Also I have no clue how the rank is gonna work because playlists are mixed, for example if my friend says “oh yeah I got a level 50 in this playlist”, but I have no clue what game modes he did them in or which Halo he did it in (the worth/value of everyone's level 50 is gonna differ and wont be completely distinct). There NEEDS to be separation to make this work .... This is just ridiculous Rant Over

Edited by swirlymanx

Been playing Halo for quite some time, and I've seen people go to great extents to boost rank in the past. Even then, there's derankers ruining the fun for those of lower skill. Also for some reason people bought level 50 accounts..no idea why.

The moral of the story is people are dickheads, making there no perfect system.

Calm down.

I didn't say it was a better ranking system, I prefer emblems to numbers. That is all

Calm down.

I didn't say it was a better ranking system, I prefer emblems to numbers. That is all

I know you didnt. Im just saying that if there is no skill involved in getting the emblem ranks then theres no point having the ranks in the first place. The ranks are there to show your skill level. Same applies for numbered ranks like in Halo 4.

The emblem still shows off how much time and dedication you've put into the game. I think that can be just as important as someone's skill level.

I put in the hours for these games, but as I said before, I literally cannot get much better. It's nice to have some recognition for the time and fun I put in even when I can't get a level 50 skill rank.

The emblem still shows off how much time and dedication you've put into the game. I think that can be just as important as someone's skill level.

I put in the hours for these games, but as I said before, I literally cannot get much better. It's nice to have some recognition for the time and fun I put in even when I can't get a level 50 skill rank.

Time and dedication doesnt equate to skill. Like you said, it shows how much TIME you put into the game. Theres just no point having a rank if its just about spending time on the game.

I agree that you should be recognised for your time and dedication but i dont think having just the emblem rank is the best method.

Look at Halo 3's ranking system. It had the skill level to show how good you were but it also had the exp system to show your time and dedication. Even if you had a skill of 20 you could have 2000 exp aswell. It was a best of both worlds.

However, Reach just catered towards noobs. No skill level to show off your skill but just stupid emblems that prepubetic kids thought looked cool. It was stupid.

I'm sorry, but are you stupid??? The matchmaking is skill based... So, unless you're being carried every game, the game will match you with people the same skill as you..

Meaning, every one in the match will be around your skill, even the enemy team. Now nut the f* up and next time, maybe try to read the OP and get the details before making yourself look dumb.

\ They should just have the 5 classic playlists, make them ranked and then let you choose which playlist and which Halo, then search

Idk if anyone read that crazy wall of text... but i did... My friend said awhile back that you could select which halo you wanted to play (1,2,3,4) and which multiplayer playlist you want to play (team slayer, etc), but if you wanted to play a jumbo playlist of any halo, any map then you could.. Is this not confirmed??

If i can't choose the Halo i want to play and which playlist, I'm probably not even going to get this game.. I'm mainly getting it for Halo 2. So can someone confirm that this was just a misinformed rant of swirlymanx?

EDIT: Ugh! I'm reading through the whole FAQ over on reddit and it says that quad/double shot is not available in the H2:A edition? Does that seriously mean that if i want to play classic "Halo 2" I have to play it in "dumbed" down graphics? I'm so confused by this collection..

Edited by i fist brown i

Now nut the f* up and next time, maybe try to read the OP and get the details before making yourself look dumb.

Oh right, someone tells you to 'nut the f* up' and it's inappropriate and uncalled for yet you seem to have no problem telling someone else off;)

I know that having a certain number next to your name is a really big deal to some people while others prefer a different system but surely we can keep this civil please.