alice 1 or alice 2?

I just went right into part 2. I played the first years ago and really don't remember a lot. I couldn't even tell you if I beat the game.

I'm really enjoying the new game so far. I played for a couple hours so far. I also just went through and played the first chapter of part 1. That game does not control very well or something. I'm playing on easy and having a hard time killing the bad guys.

I started playing the second one while the first one downloaded. Then I switch once it was done. After playing maybe 15 mintues of the first game, I gave up and went back to 2. I say just play the second one first.

so happy i can replay the first one, got a original copy but since computers these days can't play old games anymore, i can't play it. but thanks to this down i can play it again, just to gain up on the story. back to topic if you never played the first one, just play it it's a fantastic game + great story

If you ever want to play the first one. Play it first and save your game all the time. I gritted my teeth and played through the 1st game then started the second. The difference is like black and white to HDTV. The first game has aged very poorly.

at least the autosave isnt as bad as it was in the PC version

so happy i can replay the first one, got a original copy but since computers these days can't play old games anymore, i can't play it. but thanks to this down i can play it again, just to gain up on the story. back to topic if you never played the first one, just play it it's a fantastic game + great story

what kind of computer do you have? im running Win7 64bit and it plays fine for me on the PC (found my old copy a few weeks ago too lol)

ive always been a console gamer though, so im loving being able to play with a controller, never got the hang of kb+mouse

• 3 weeks later...

I played and beat the original WAY back when it came out, so I started with the original before playing Madness Returns because I was sure there'd be tie ins etc.

It was nice to play the first one first for these main reasons:

1) The save feature is horrible. Save ALL the time.

2) Combat is clunky

3) Although it was an awesome game, it has aged poorly.

If you're going for the 1000 gs, then do yourself a favor and get Alice 1 out of the way first. Playing 2 felt like so much fun after trodding through 1. They really improved it (especially the combat)

I played the first one, before starting the second. Glad I did because it is a frustrating game, but there are payoffs. Anyone else spot the broken robot with a small skeleton inside it in the area with the fork wielding goblins in chapter 1 ?

I haven't got too far into Madness Returns yet, but I bet there are more direct nods to the first game to come.

I played the first one, before starting the second. Glad I did because it is a frustrating game, but there are payoffs. Anyone else spot the broken robot with a small skeleton inside it in the area with the fork wielding goblins in chapter 1 ?

I haven't got too far into Madness Returns yet, but I bet there are more direct nods to the first game to come.

I can confirm that there are quite a bit of ties between the games, some obvious and some more subtle.

Alice makes comments to several characters she's met before (Mad Hatter, Cheshire Cat, the Red Queen) about their last encounters.

The Jabberwocky's skeleton is where you first find the Vorpal Blade.

And the overriding plot about Alice's family, the fire, her time at the asylum, and how she's been coping all reflect on the prior game's setting and plot, building from what you think you know and what you might not be aware of.

I can confirm that there are quite a bit of ties between the games, some obvious and some more subtle.

Alice makes comments to several characters she's met before (Mad Hatter, Cheshire Cat, the Red Queen) about their last encounters.

And the overriding plot about Alice's family, the fire, her time at the asylum, and how she's been coping all reflect on the prior game's setting and plot, building from what you think you know and what you might not be aware of.

i enjoyed a lot of the subtle tie ins, especially the ones in hatter's domain, with the relationship between the hatter and the dormouse and the march hare

i commented on this in another thread too, playing the first game then the second makes you really appreciate the connections between the two, you can really tell the games were made by the same people, not just the same corporation (EA)

This is a great explanation why to start with the first game. Even if you're just going for achievements and don't care about the story, play the original first. It is definitely dated and frustrating at times, but you don't want to save that for after you've beaten Madness Returns.

This is a great explanation why to start with the first game. Even if you're just going for achievements and don't care about the story, play the original first. It is definitely dated and frustrating at times, but you don't want to save that for after you've beaten Madness Returns.

That's why I started the first one, I would hate to play the new one and have to go back to the other one.

I started with Alice because of reasons mentioned, like they make sequels for a reason and there is a potential for tie ins somewhere. I've heard awesome things about Alice so I was like okay lets do this.........I really wish I played this game when it came out because it may have given me a better opinion on it. Though it has a great story and such, the combat makes the game often unplayable its so horrid.

I can't wait to play Alice Madness Returns ;)

Though I understand why some people would play first one, first. I am doing the opposite. I have played Alice Mcgee on PC and I enjoyed every second of it. I think, if you have not played Alice Mcgee then defo best to play it first, before Madness. I have checked what Alice Mcgee looks like to remind me and I even like the look of the old one still (so not off putting, in that number 2 looks stunning).

What I like because I have played the original and have decided to play Madness first, is you can do the tie-ins backwards ;). I.e "hang on thats why this happend in Madness etc". Anyway I am so chuffed that in the sequal, they released first one and even included achievements. I would of still played first one anyway, but achievements are a bonus.

One of the best buys, I have made this mth.

Edited by MrTaste

1st>2nd. And to the guy who said the graphics are dated, you know that the first game is 11 years old right....?

Yes, I think it's safe to assume everyone understands that if someone describes something as "dated," said person realizes it's not something that came out yesterday...