Found myself screaming at TV

Bobalue

The game mechanics are horrific in this game. I find myself yelling at my TV whenever I get stuck between two shivering assholes that shove you, a drunkard, or can't climb a certain wall because apparently Altair is unable to move his arm 1 foot. What else is annoying is when you are on an informer mission, you're just about to kill the last Templar or w/e, and you bump into a citizen, which apparently is against the law or something because instantly you have 10 guards on you.

Am I alone in such frustration over this game?

Though the game has some annoying parts, never could upset me that much that I start to scream at the tv.

Did you play the second game before this? Could be also a reason.

All in all, I still think it was worth the money (I bought it very cheap recently) and the time what I invested in this game.

And yes, drunkards suck.

I do hate the "drunkards" (I think they're actually supposed to be mentally ill), but that's just one part of the game they throw In so it is at least slightly difficult to be incognito. For the citizens, you can use gentle shove on them or do the real slow praying walk thing. I think the mechanics for this game are pretty awesome and Altair's climbing ability is so money most of the time that if he doesn't want to reach up and the side a few feet, that's fine with me. The game gets a little repetitive but the mechanics are good, and that's a fact, definitely not my opinion.

The game mechanics are horrific in this game. I find myself yelling at my TV whenever I get stuck between two shivering assholes that shove you, a drunkard, or can't climb a certain wall because apparently Altair is unable to move his arm 1 foot. What else is annoying is when you are on an informer mission, you're just about to kill the last Templar or w/e, and you bump into a citizen, which apparently is against the law or something because instantly you have 10 guards on you.

Am I alone in such frustration over this game?

you are alone...despite some of the MINOR issue with this game...overall this is one of the greatest games of all time...you are playing history buddy...enjoy it...

Although the drunkards do suck.

• 2 weeks later...

Im sorry but you are sorta alone in your frusteration... Whenever I see a drunkard/Mad man and they push me... its over for them, I never care how much health I lose I grab and push them into everything possible or sometimes I just go ahead and kill the asshole.... anyway I thought it was sorta awkward the first hour or so... but no I do not share your opinion

the mentally ill the beggars piss me off.

after a while i just started assassinating the beggars. they're always in the damn way.

i usually punch the mentally ill if i can. only once have i ran into a situation where i punched one & the guards came after me. i wish u could assassinate them as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Assassin's Creed II is a perfect example of how you make a good game great. Nothing's worse than trying to pick pocket someone and have a drunk push you into your target. The gaurds are way too easy to piss off and suddenly for no reason you have to fight off ten of them just to get to wear you're going. Amd having to sneek into a city is just stupid.

I originally started playing this game over 2 and a half years ago, got annoyed with the repetitive nature, and the horse riding everywhere is ANNOYING (5 minutes to get out of the main village???), so I left it until I played AC2 and decided to finish AC1...

Several things that frustrated me (although I will return to it again to 1k it):

spending ages riding between places

having to sneak into EVERY city

the beggars getting in your way when you're trying to sneak/follow (why do they only pester YOU?)

the mess of guards who appear when you get into a fight with one, and even though there's 10+ dead guards on the floor, they still come to attack you (to be slaughtered)

the idiocy of the climbing when there's a ledge 1 foot to the left and when you leap towards it you fly into nothingness and fall to your death

you're in the middle of a fight with a ton of guards, and people wander in as though nothing is wrong and you end up killing them as you lunge towards a guard

Once you've played the later games, this game seems SO restrictive, and buggy, but as a first step in the series, this game is great, it's just that you have to realise that this game is 3 years old now, and as such things have moved on...

The only things that had me screaming at the screen was when you went to leap to a ledge and he "randomly" leaps in a direction that is just off where you expect him to go... or when you're charging at your target, you hit "X" to kill them and you suddenly leap to the side and kill an innocent because the stupid targeting decides that someone else should be attacked :-P

EDIT: I forgot the biggest thing that annoyed me in AC1 - the fact that as soon as Altair touched water he died instantly, trying to get to that viewpoint took me 10-15 tries because he'd always leap in the wrong direction on the last post :-P

Edited by THE Mr Fill

• 3 weeks later...

They are pretty annoying - I found myself assassinating them rather often. Getting pushed to the ground, and then having a bunch of guards yelling "Infidel die!" for no apparent reason is rather aggravating. I've never gotten angry enough to yell or think about throwing my controller, but Jesus, I have had to take a break during some particularly annoying areas.

If it helps any, after you beat the game, whenever you replay a mission, you don't lose sync for killing innocent civilians (at least that's how it worked for me). It's nice when someone runs up to push you, and you stab them without being penalised. Self defence FTW. :)

despite what the others say - you are not alone! :)

i still really liked the game, though i havent started on the others in the series yet. sometimes i yell at the TV to 'just grab that thing dammit' or 'drop! no DROP, not JUMP!' but most of it comes from me being impatient and holding down buttons at the wrong time.

i do enjoy plowing through rows of people on my horse & murdering the tards that are in my way.

@OP: You're not alone. You're just in the minority. But to be fair to all parties, this is the first game in the series. There are bound to be things that they could improve on, and they did. I don't think anyone will dispute the drunkards being annoying (seriously, why just Altair?), but the other things I honestly never had trouble with.

The free running mechanics I adjusted to quite well. Are you not making it a habit to hold B and stick your hand out after any time you make a jump? And being unable to move 1 foot in one direction? You're exaggerating. There are a lot of rocks and ledges and whatever else that I would've never figured I'd actually make it to. You just have to tap in that direction instead of just holding the stick down sometimes.

Guards on your ass? Use gentle push to make your way through a crowd. Are you even paying attention to the alert indicator? I don't mean to be a jerk, but it just sounds to me like you're blaming the game for your own lack of patience and attentiveness.

Seriously though? Worst part about the game? Flag hunting and bugged Templars. No good. No good. I'll take hunting feathers and glyphs any day.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing fustrating me with Assassins Creed is a flag in The Kingdom I am missing. I've run over each location twice today using the AC maps website and its not there. I just get into 100 fights along the way with the guards. So yeah, I enjoy the game but the damn flags can be annoyning.

Great game, I don't remember having any problems with it though. The drunkards and beggars do get very annoying, glad they kinda took them out in the sequel. But the thing that pisses me off the most is the guys playing the instruments that sing and follow you, I know for sure they're in the second, I think they're in the first too. They are so annoying!

@OP: Frustration would be the wrong word to describe what I feel when I play A.C. I will admite, like everyone else here that mentally ill retards that have a tendency to only attack a single individual in a population that looks to be in the thousands in several different locations makes little to no sense but, it decreases the games fun to me by 000% and increases the games difficulty slightly and anything easy isn't worth doing in my opinion. But I respect your opinion and frustration and do not expect you to share the same understanding I have with A.C. and of course you are not alone. There are billions of people on this planet and I'm sure there is a large percent of that, that share your frustration.

But as Vox so wisely put it

But to be fair to all parties, this is the first game in the series.

• 3 months later...

i still really liked the game, though i havent started on the others in the series yet. sometimes i yell at the TV to 'just grab that thing dammit' or 'drop! no DROP, not JUMP!' but most of it comes from me being impatient and holding down buttons at the wrong time.

I'm the same now, on my first informant collecting 20 flags, tried 4 times :mad:

• 1 month later...
The game is certainly the worst one in the series, and if you played II an B before this one (like me) you will get frustrated. But overall i'd still rate it 90, it's a good game, with some flaws that you won't notice if you play the series in order

I played II first and YES the drunkards SUCK! but actually the thing that pissed me off the most was the fact that Altair couldn't swim

Keeping in mind that this was the FIRST GAME... I think the programmers did an awesome job. The attention to detail is amazing, and I made it a point to play this one before brotherhood or revelations. I think playing them out of order makes me appreciate this one a little less, Ezio is definitely more versatile than Altair...

I played through the first shortly before II was released. Only had the Templar achievement and the dialogue missing. Loved the game, although I did find it repetitive.

Then I played through II and Brotherhood...then went back for my missing achievements. The only thing that sucked was that alot of the improvements from the second were missing. Never really had an issue with getting stuck anywhere

and I agree with most others..the drunks/ill are annoying as hell

• 2 months later...