Computer gaming HELP!!!!

bigmcilmoyle

hey everyone, i would consider myself a hardcore gamer owning every system since NES and 500+ games but one thing i've never gotten into is PC gaming. i want to start moding some stuff but im not sure if my computer can handle some of todays games. I know for a fact my graphics card needs an update but how does the rest of the system sound to you for gaming?

proccesor: AMD Phenom 8550 Triple Core processor - 2,21 ghz

RAM - 4 gb

Current graphics card (to be upgraded) - GEforce 6150SE nForce 430 - 128 dedicated video mem.

Operating System - Windows Vista 64 bit

my main concern is the procesor on most games they require a 3.0 ghz Pentium 4, but because this is a triple core does that mean the game will be able to run on one core at 2.21 while everything else runs on another?

thanks for the help in advance!

The thing is; a LOT of your games will not run on that video card. Pick this up:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102820

The above and a better processor (even just a 3.0 Dualcore) you should be able to run most games that come out nowadays. Also, pick up the Windows 7 Release Candidate. It's free til June, and runs games better then XP does.

I'm on a 2.19 dualcore CPU and can barely handle SF4 on 800x600; A better processor will do him good in the long run anyway.

Just as what Daywalker-san said, his processor is more than adequate to play most modern games. There is no need to shout for a better CPU when clearly your problem is not CPU issue. Check to see if your GPU RAM and system RAM is even enough to support the game. From the sound of it, I would say no.

Most games you can get away with 2.0GHz CPU, 512MB GPU, 1-2 GB of RAM. This is of course all depends on what OS you are using at the time and you do not have any other programs taking up all of your resources.

Now to answer the original OP's question. You might want to consider bumping up your GPU to 1GB, but you definitely need at least 512MB to get anything decent. As for your CPU, there is not really any major need to use a quad core when dual core CPU's are still very much effective (not to mention much cheaper). A 2.0GHz CPU is just as effective as a 2.4GHz for the most part. Also, what do you mean by modding? Are you suggesting overclocking?

-Cheers

Edited by Deviant Saint

Just as what Daywalker-san said, his processor is more than adequate to play most modern games. There is no need to shout for a better CPU when clearly your problem is not CPU issue. Check to see if your GPU RAM and system RAM is even enough to support the game. From the sound of it, I would say no.

Most games you can get away with 2.0GHz CPU, 512MB GPU, 1-2 GB of RAM. This is of course all depends on what OS you are using at the time and you do not have any other programs taking up all of your resources.

Now to answer the original OP's question. You might want to consider bumping up your GPU to 1GB, but you definitely need at least 512MB to get anything decent. As for your CPU, there is not really any major need to use a quad core when dual core CPU's are still very much effective (not to mention much cheaper). A 2.0GHz CPU is just as effective as a 2.4GHz for the most part. Also, what do you mean by modding? Are you suggesting overclocking?

-Cheers

nvidia geforce 9400gt; 2gb ram, 2.19ghz dualcore cpu, and windows 7. :p

does anyone know how great this card would be

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10110131&catid=25617&logon=&langid=EN

with the former setup

proccesor: AMD Phenom 8550 Triple Core processor - 2,21 ghz

RAM - 4 gb

Current graphics card (to be upgraded) - GEforce 6150SE nForce 430 - 128 dedicated video mem.

Operating System - Windows Vista 64 bit