New features/Improvements for Saints Row 3

Dr Popodopolus

UPDATE 15th March - check out this gameinformer video, it's a decent watch. It dabbles into the fart-in-a-jar debate.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/03/15/brainstorming-the-humor-of-saints-row-the-third.aspx

UPDATE 10th March - Taken from the Saints Row: The Third wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saints_Row:_The_Third

The player controls the leader of the Third Street Saints. The game world is the fictional city of Steelport, and the story centers around the conflict that arises between the Saints and The Syndicate, an international criminal group who have taken over the Saints' former home of Stilwater.

Plot

The Third continues the story of the 3rd Street Saints gang developed in the previous two games. Having defeated the rival gangs of Stilwater at the end of Saints Row 2 and overthrown the influence of the Ultor corporation on the city services, the Saints have found themselves with free control of the city. They target a bank, attempting to airlift the vault out of it, but the plan goes awry, and the Saints are incarcerated. In prison, they come to learn that a powerful international crime agency called the Syndicate, led by Phillipe Loren, has taken over many of the banks (including the one the Saints struck) and bribed the Stilwater police force. Loren smuggles the Saints' leader (the player-character), Johnny Gat, and Shaundi out of jail onto his private jet, and while in-flight, tells them they will be allowed to live if they turn over two-thirds of their gangs. The leader of the Saints rejects this offer, and a gunfight breaks out; ultimately, the player-character, Gat, and Shaundi all fall out the cargo hold of the plane, safely recovering parachutes, and lands safely.

With the Syndicate in full control of Stilwater, the Saints relocate themselves to the city of Steelport. Steelport is a city that was created as factories flourished with little city planning, and since has suffered from economic failure, contrasting the glamour of Stilwater. The Syndicate has already begun to take control of some parts of Steelport, focusing on vices like gambling and prostitution. To extend their reach, the Syndicate had divided their control of the city through three gangs. The Morning Star, lead by Loren directly, are typically European men with impeccable taste, selling guns and handling the prostitution rings. The Mexican wrestler Killbane controls the Luchadores who deal with selling drugs and gambling. The Deckers, led by hacktivist Matt Miller, are computer geniuses, and handle the money laundering. The Saints see the opportunity to wrest control of Steelport from these groups, and engage them to start to take control of the downtrodden city. As the gang war intensifies, a fourth group, the Special Tactical Anti-Gang (STAG) units from the government will attempt to halt any gang activity whether it be the Saints or the Syndicate.

In previous Saints Row games, the player would be able to approach each of the three rival gangs along separate storylines that ultimately culminated into a final conclusion. In The Third, the storylines between the three gangs are interconnected, and decisions that the player makes in dealing with one faction may alter the behavior of the other factors towards the player or missions that may be available later.

Gameplay

The Third retains the blend of third-person action and driving sequences in open world, urban warfare format that is traditional in the Saints Row series. The player, as the leader of the Third Street Saints, can explore the city of Steelport, performing main missions that progress the game's story, and side missions. These side missions include Activities, mini-games played on the streets of Steelport, Strongholds, rival gang bases that can be taken over to control a section of Steelport, and Flashpoints, on-the-spot gang warfare. Successful completion of missions can earn the player in-game money, weapons, cars, and gang respect. Unlike the previous games where respect was used to unlock new missions, The Third uses respect similar to experience points which the player can then spend to improve specific attributes of their character, such as melee combat or firearms skills. Money can be used to purchase clothing items, weapons and cars, or may be used to upgrade weapons and cars with unique features, such as adding scopes or extra barrels to a weapon, which then can be stored in the Saints' arsenal. Money can also be used to upgrade the Saints gang, customizing their appearance, outfits, and headquarters. Within The Third, the player can set up to four different appearance styles for their gang. Finally, money is also used to purchase shops and other properties within Steelport, which in turn will become a steady stream of incoming for the gang over time.

While completing some missions, the player may be given a choice of options to finalize the mission. For example, they may opt to destroy a rival gang's boat, including the prostitutes aboard, or instead capture it, and sending the prostitutes to the Saints' headquarters to boost the gang's morale. In another case, the player has the option of using a gigantic bomb to demolish one of the skyscrappers in the city; though they will gain a great deal of respect for the action, it will alter the city's skyline for the rest of the game and cause non-player characters to react differently to the Saints, while leaving the building standing allows it to be used as a headquarters for the Saints. New Activities, optional missions that can gain the player money and respect, include "Professor Genki's Super Ethical Reality Climax", a game show that combines the ideas of The Running Man and Japanese game shows, Tank Mayhem where players are tasked with taking out high value targets using a tank, and Guardian Angel, where the player must drive around the city while a tiger is in the backseat of the car.

In addition to the regular arsenal of tradition and novel weapons, players will gain the ability to call down airstrikes on encamped enemies, or to use an remote control electric bug to control other vehicles such as for remotely delivering a car full of explosives to an enemies hideout. Unlike the first two games, there are no health recovery items in favor of improving the grenade throwing system; in exchange, the player's health will regenerate at a faster rate as long as they stay out of the line of fire. Nearly all actions in the game can be sped up by holding down a second controller button, dubbed by Volition as the "awesome button"; for example, when carjacking, holding down this button will cause the player-character to missile-kick the driver out of the seat in short order.

In addition to the single-player mode, the game can be played co-operatively with at least one other player. As in Saints Row 2, the second player can participate in all missions and activities, earning credit for their completion. Certain activities provide different rules when a second player is present; for example, in the Guardian Angel activity, the second player will have to control the tiger in the backseat while the first player drives. Because of their focus on the single player and co-operative experience, Volition has removed competitive multiplayer from the title.

This next part is what I feel should be done.

I adore the 2 player free roaming Co-op in Saints Row 2. Definitely my favourite on Xbox LIVE with so much you can do, topping even that of Grand Theft Auto IVs Free roam (even if it supports 16 players).

Here are a few things which I think must stay in the franchise:

Co-op, a definite keeper, perhaps raised from 2-4 players? I don't see any reason why not, unless it interferes with the story too much. But let's face it Saints Row 2 wasn't brilliant in terms of story line.

Customisation, I'd imagine this would take a step forward rather than a step back, somehow incorporate another opening "create-your-character" type of scene. I am sure Volition could figure out a way to do it again. I could spend a fair amount of time fine tuning my celebrity character, always fun to use.

I would have thought that Volition would like to fledge this out even more, even by doing the simple things like adding more voices, more taunts and more fighting styles. Maybe even give us the opportunity to edit height and limb size in greater detail. A bit crazy perhaps.

Awesome music. SR2 had some superb music for a free roaming game, reminds of the quality found on GTA Vice City!

Some things to consider adding/improving would be:

- No more freezing! I am sure all SR2 players were annoyed by this, even installing to the hard drive only helped a little bit.

- More diverse sounds, including car engine sounds, most of the time when driving in any vehicle at max speed they would all sound too similar. I'm sure it wouldn't take too much effort to a wider range of sounds.

- Improved vehicle handling, nothing as outrageous as GTA IV but I want to FEEL like I am driving a vehicle. Maybe GTA San Andreas had the right balance for me.

- No achievement glitches! I never encountered any myself but know of a lot of people who did, so I would appreciate glitch free achievements! :D

- Improved story line, the variety in the missions wasn't too bad but I would have appreciated a slightly more interesting story as well as a slightly longer one.

Edited by Dr Popodopolus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Loved the 2nd one so much.

GTA4 lost it big time with being way 2 serious, getting phone calls from friends, girlfriend, your brother to go hang out somewhere, no thank you and the fact you loose respect from them if you say no.

Saints row 2 came out perfect timing, put the fun back into this sorta game. I did enjoy the first, tho was disappointed by some things like lack of vehicles, no swimming etc

I never buy a game first day anymore cuz its not worth it but the 2nd was and this will be 2.

Saints row 3

More weapons

more vehicles ( hovercraft, bicycle, skateboard etc just 4 fun.)

Music was awesome but one thing id love so much is custom radio station where u can put your mp3 tracks on the harddrive or via mp3 player and have those on. I know you can have your music on during the game but its not the same as when its on the car stereo.

4 player co-op would be fun. the whole city. my m8s and my gf love it so all 4 of us wanna get in the same game and have a laugh.

More fun side missions.

Keep the checkpoints as well cuz how annoying is it to get so far in a mission and die only to start all over again esp if it requires a long drive.

hey didnt u have a post like this on the gamefaqs board?

for some reason i recognise the popolopdus (bad spelling probably) part of ur username

Well it wasn't me on gamefaqs... no i hope nobody has my name lol..

More vehicles (hovercraft, bicycle, skateboard etc just 4 fun.)

Music was awesome but one thing id love so much is custom radio station where u can put your mp3 tracks on the harddrive or via mp3 player and have those on. I know you can have your music on during the game but its not the same as when its on the car stereo.

I like these ideas.. custom radios on GTA Vice City Stories for the PSP was awesome..

Edited by Dr Popodopolus

• 3 weeks later...
- No more freezing! I am sure all SR2 players were annoyed by this, even installing to the hard drive only helped a little bit.

I never had any freezing in SR2, and I played that game a hell of a lot. So I would have to word it "still no freezing" myself because freezing sucks. I just thankfully never had any (I also never had any in GTA IV, except for that one time that I got RRoD right after I powered the console back on, so I think it's safe to say it wasn't the game's fault that time).

Also, I would like to see a character import feature this time. Since we didn't get blown up this time, we should be able to if we want. And SR2 was on 360 and PS3, so nobody has the "it's not fair to PS3 players!" excuse to wave around this time either. Please make it happen, Volition!

I never had any freezing in SR2, and I played that game a hell of a lot. So I would have to word it "still no freezing" myself because freezing sucks. I just thankfully never had any (I also never had any in GTA IV, except for that one time that I got RRoD right after I powered the console back on, so I think it's safe to say it wasn't the game's fault that time).

Also, I would like to see a character import feature this time. Since we didn't get blown up this time, we should be able to if we want. And SR2 was on 360 and PS3, so nobody has the "it's not fair to PS3 players!" excuse to wave around this time either. Please make it happen, Volition!

Oh there was definitely freezing in SR2 dude! Lol check the SR2 forums, you must have got hella lucky. Character Import sounds perfect, especially seeing as our dude is super duper kick ass after the SR2 campaign. Maybe some bonuses and achievement scanning for previous Saints Row games, I worked hard for 1200G in SR2 lol.

Oh there was definitely freezing in SR2 dude! Lol check the SR2 forums, you must have got hella lucky. Character Import sounds perfect, especially seeing as our dude is super duper kick ass after the SR2 campaign. Maybe some bonuses and achievement scanning for previous Saints Row games, I worked hard for 1200G in SR2 lol.

My console froze about 15 times while I was working on Kingpin. It also froze twice in coop campaign for me, and 4 times for my coop buddy.

I love your idea of character imports and being rewarded for your gamerscore in the previous two games. Since I completed both of them, my character would be a powerhouse LMAO!

And they should definitely make the campaign at the very least 4 player coop, perhaps more. Oh ya, and eliminate multiplayer versus, just take all the best activities from the first Saints multi and put it into the coop campaign and just make it competitive coop. This would increase the fun factor and not have people worry about being team killed in a Protect The Pimp anymore.

ok so from what ive read so far...

new city

new gangs, even an 8foot tall guy who can throw cars.

new weapons including a sex toy, custom your weapons.

you can call in air strikes, predator drone.

rc gun which lets you shoot at a vehicle, then you take over that vehicle, upgrades to allow taking over helicopters, tanks. How awesome is that, car full of the enemy can be taken over and driven into anything.

bomb satchels so find a car, throw a bomb in and rc gun it and drive it into the enemy unmanned.

no online play from what it says

and loads more. suppose to be released november.

Personally thats a bad idea but id rather not wait til next yr. Usually round that time of the year, you'll get call of duty, new batman and most of the other holiday releases.

ok so from what ive read so far...

new city

new gangs, even an 8foot tall guy who can throw cars.

new weapons including a sex toy, custom your weapons.

you can call in air strikes, predator drone.

rc gun which lets you shoot at a vehicle, then you take over that vehicle, upgrades to allow taking over helicopters, tanks. How awesome is that, car full of the enemy can be taken over and driven into anything.

bomb satchels so find a car, throw a bomb in and rc gun it and drive it into the enemy unmanned.

no online play from what it says

and loads more. suppose to be released november.

Personally thats a bad idea but id rather not wait til next yr. Usually round that time of the year, you'll get call of duty, new batman and most of the other holiday releases.

Sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.. thanks for that.

I would rather it released in January personally, avoid the Christmas rush with games like Battlefield 3, Call of Duty, maybe Halo HD, new Assassins Creed

Release it in January like Dead Space 2 did, it won't cripple your sales then, and I wouldn't mind waiting a few extra months.

It doesnt make sense, yeh i understand releasing a game in the holiday season but when your going against games which sell so much and become the biggest selling game all year, uve gonna get terrible sales.

Look at Red dead, awesome game, didnt come out during that time of year, did really well.

Look at rock band 3, biggest mistake for them was releasing a week before Black ops, same day as Fable 3 and a week after Fallout 4.

Also with RB3, they didnt have any keyboard bundles ready, the pro guitars werent out, the one that most ppl want, still isnt even out. So you've got a game with so many awesome features and people cant even use them. Thats why they got poor sales and companies see they got poor sales, thinking it might be time to give up. You could just scream at them for being so thick.

My rambling, love my rock band game and saints row games.

• 2 months later...