Minus XP for Team Killing

O4OUR

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, i can't search without getting fatal errors.

I was watching a vid on the official site and at about 1:15 he shoots a guy and kills him; gaining what looks like a green 11 XP.. very cool.. but then some guy sneaks up and tries to kill his buddies and he sprays wildly killing him. A few of those stray bullets hit his team members though. I saw red numbers popping up above their head. I've taken a screen shot and i'm sorry for the quality but it's the best i could get from freezing the frame on the video. I used photoshop to sharpen it a bit and triet to interperate what i think i saw. Tell me after watching the video in the above link, if i'm wrong.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/Tiranuuhl/Team-Kill-XP.jpg

I REALY don't mind losing xp for shooting team mates.. i love the thought infact. What i'm not too sure about though is for an 11 xp gain for an enemy kill, and a what looks like -21 xp per bullet on an ally; is this a bit steep? I have been known to accidently blow up an ally with a grenade in my time.. but not enough to have me worry about this.

I love that you'll lose xp for killing a team mates.. The whole point of Brink is about teamwork, and idiot kids that kill team members for just for the fun of it will have to think twice about being a tool. So you have to get 2 enemy kills to counter a team kill? sounds fair to me...

In FPS's i dont spam grenades or spray bullets like a mad man, so i doubt i'll kill many team mates..

So you have to get 2 enemy kills to counter a team kill? sounds fair to me..

When you put it like that, it makes perfect sence. Dunno why that didn't just click lol. :confused:

But from what i saw the team mates didn't DIE..

Oppenent Kill reward: +11 XP

Team Kill deduction: -13-21XP Per BULLET (god knows how much for a kill)

EDIT: After watching many more video's i've come to realise that this game is based on XP per bullet and/or health percentage. Wether that be plus or minus depends on who you shoot. This meaning that more xp (finally) goes to someone who generally gets a higher "damage done" over a high killing blow count.

EG. I Snipe a guy 200 ft away, in the chest take off 95% of his health but some other guy comes along and take the last 5% with a bunt to the head. the sniper generally should get 95% of the total xp earned. FAIR imo.

Edited by O4OUR

I hope there will be playlists were there is no friendly fire..... I can see a lot of people becoming team killers due to 'spray-and-pray' - which would get real old real fast

i'm not sure you understand, this feature prevents/penalises those who partake in douche-baggery :woop:

I'm sure "low level people" will play with their own kind.. and so on upward. Like most Online competative games. I'm sure we'll be grouped up and pitted against people of our own calibur. Obviously at the start it will take some time to have people rise in rank and skill to flesh out that system like any other game.

But all that goes without saying. I'm sure this system will deter that state of mind more than any other FPS game. What fun is a person going to have being Lv1 their entire time playing? No upgrades, no new guns, no progression thru the story to other parts of the island. they'll be stuck at the start of the game with nothing. they will eventually get bored and grow up.

ooo i also saw a cool graphic earlier during a movie i was watching. XP pops out of the enemy per bullet you shoot .. so if you got an assault rifle .. you see hundreds of 1 XP fly out of the guy .. if you have a shotgun you see exactly where those pellets hit him due to the placement of the 1 XP icons .. cool feature not sure if they'll keep it in there as i've not seen that animation on any other vids.

maybe it's an option/upgrade you can get, to change how xp is displayed in the UI.

From a video I saw it showed the player shooting at an enemy and then a team mate walk right into his fire which made a giant "no symbol" appear, but I don't know if any negative xp start showing up. Makes me wonder if there's a short time limit between the warning sign appearing and when the game starts deducting xp from the player. Maybe its a feature that doesn't make people lose xp for accidental friendly fire.

Just thought it worth mentioning that a common tactic used in Wolfenstein:ET was TK revives, because sometimes it was easier, and the team mate was so close to death, that you just put a few bullets in them and rez them, rather then waste precious time and keep feeding them health till they are topped off. I don't know if this game will perform along those lines, but if it does, might be worth taking the negative XP.

That said however, if they do have FF enabled that would be awesome. You know how many times people just throw nades or spam, because they know that they can't hurt their team mates, so only good things could possibly come out of spamming close quarters. Interested to see how it all plays out.

also with FF on, it prevents people from say "blocking you in a corner" unable to jump their height .. to prevent anger issues and griefing you could just knife the guy take the negative xp and continue playing .. also remember that XBL has a "rate the player" feature so if you didn't like the guys you play with, then you can just avoid this player and tadaa!

Surprisingly I didn't think of what if people just went around TKing for the hell of it. I would assume, and I can't remember what game did it, maybe BF2, but anyways if you had so many tks you got auto booted, or went so far negative. Hopefully there will be a similar scenario for auto-kicks. Meaning you could use the tactic sparingly, if it is at all applicable to this game, and if not then the whole issue I brought up is pointless =P

Also if nothing else it teaches players that just shooting into the masses won't accomplish anything but XP loss, precision is the way to go. Something I admit I would have to get use to. :X

Surprisingly I didn't think of what if people just went around TKing for the hell of it. I would assume, and I can't remember what game did it, maybe BF2, but anyways if you had so many tks you got auto booted, or went so far negative. Hopefully there will be a similar scenario for auto-kicks. Meaning you could use the tactic sparingly, if it is at all applicable to this game, and if not then the whole issue I brought up is pointless =P

Also if nothing else it teaches players that just shooting into the masses won't accomplish anything but XP loss, precision is the way to go. Something I admit I would have to get use to. :X

You do in the Hardcore playlists in CoD.. You always get idiots that'll just kill ya for the fun of it. I also hope there is a auto kick feature for when someone is persitantly team killing

On the trapping teammates in corner subject.

Could the SMART system pretty much remove it if you are able to jump against the wall and do some kind of wall jump out of the corner.

Maybe even the ability to "SMART" over you teammates lol.

Scratch that. This video shows that you can walk through teammates and the second you start shooting them a "no symbol" shows up as well as negative xp

Between 3:34 and 3:40

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k3MMi1G1xw]YouTube - Brink: Developer Interview & New Gameplay - Pixel Enemy[/ame]

Edited by koopakiller64

Stuff like this is a major piss-off, because you'll have 3 enemies in a room, and as you go to fire a rocket knowing you'll kill at least 1 enemy, your teammate runs in rambo style, and you kill him. Same with grenades.

I'm not typically a fan of penalties for team damage.

Stuff like this is a major piss-off, because you'll have 3 enemies in a room, and as you go to fire a rocket knowing you'll kill at least 1 enemy, your teammate runs in rambo style, and you kill him. Same with grenades.

I'm not typically a fan of penalties for team damage.

That would piss me off. Especially getting negative Xp from idiot teammates walking straight into your gunfire.

Being able to walk through teammates better not be in the final version of the game or friendly fire is going to become a major problem. Point being you'll be firing at an enemy and a teammate decides not to have the decency to run around you, but instead straight through you and into your gunfire.