Would you have second thoughts buying a game if it had no achievements?

Stormy2k

Personally, even if theyre shit, Id still buy it. hard or lame. But they do NEED it. Unless the games phenomenal, like MGS4 on ps3 w/o trophies. My attention span is laughable, so I need to have those goals to keep me driven otherwise these games fade into backlog faster than a sinking boulder.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it kind of odd asking this question on a site dedicated to writing guides to unlock achievements and talking about achievements? I mean the majority of people visiting this site are going to be achievement hunters because that's who this site is for so of course most people are going to say that hey wouldn't play a game if it had no achievements.

My opinion isn't much different for obvious reasons but I'll also add that if the next Xbox decides to scrap achievements (which won't happen but hypothetically speaking), then I think I'd stop being a console gamer and go back to PC since steam is a much better service for downloading games at really cheap prices and generally the community is alot more mature.

20 years ago I would have bought a game regardless. Once the achievement concept was added, I realized how much more it added to the game experience. In the past you could simply beat a game and that was that. For those wanting to get every achievement in a game, it actually allowed more in-depth exploration of the game finding things you normally wouldn't trying to beat it. So as of today, I would want my achievements to help add to the gaming experience.

Sadly I would not play in all likelihood. Achievements simply make games more fun. It feels really great getting them. They inherently increase the feeling of reward when you accomplish something. When you beat a game without an achievement you think "Well, that was pretty cool." When you beat a game and you get a 100G achievement for it, you think "Well that was worth it, I'm glad I did that." Your happiness level is much higher.

I like getting achievements, though they are worthless, however, i would take a good game with no achievements, over a bad game with lots of achievements. I spend majority of my time on multiplayer so I still spend hours playing without any achievements. But do have fun!! (even if the multiplayer experience frustrates me!!)