Multiplayer Update 3 - how to separate the community

Harry Lloyd

Yes, another multiplayer update is coming. It'll be available from the in-game store, and it'll be optional.

How big? I don't know, but the PS3 version is 1.8 GiB.

Why? Because except the various fixes and improvements, it'll also contain the VIP Map Pack 7 (BC1 + SP maps), and the Vietnam DLC.

This update is optional, but IT WILL reflect on whether people can play with each other, just like Update 2 does.

So now the community will get separated even more. We'll have:

- people without any updates

- people with update 2

- people with update 3

- people with update 2 and 3

And if you know how, you can even download the MP Update 1, which isn't officially available anymore, because it was integrated into Update 2.

In theory Update 2 could be included in Update 3, but it was rather big, and it'd force you to download it again. We'll see how it is.

Whatever they do, the community will be separated. It might stay like it is now, but it might get worse.

As for the DLC, we of course won't have to download anything else for the map pack, and the Vietnam unlock will be a few hundred kilobytes, just like SPECACT and Onslaught.

Pure dumbness, because if you don't want the DLC, you won't download the Update. But if you want to play with everyone, you have to download the Update, so you have to download the DLC, which won't be available to you.

They really f*cked up with this.

- people with update 2

- people with update 3

This is indeed retarded. Update 3 should delete update 2 so that you don't have the problem of some people having one and not the other.

This is where microsoft really starts to piss me off with their over-priced storage. You have to buy THEIR their hard drive which is ridiculous. I have the 120 gig and it's still got room. People with the 60 or even the 20 gig are really screwed when games start releasing several gig updates with patches included with maps.

On another note I hope that the fixes make the gameplay that much smoother. Cannot wait for new maps. :uzi:

I'ts already a problem finding a full game and this is gonna make it even worse.

I usually play conquest (which hasnt been popular with a lot of people to begin with) and i'll be lucky to have a 5 on 5 match...

Even with the total amount of players split into 3 groups EA cant get 24 in the same game, i shutter to think how its gonna be when its devided even more.

I love battlefield to death but havent played it in some time because of this problem...

Hell i got back to RB6 vegas 2 this week and even theyve got more games going on it seems.

oh great another large file on my HDD just to play

from my limited (100hrs or so) experience, the fixes haven't achieved much

so just to get it into my thick skull - i would be downloading a stub file (~1mb) when purchasing Vietnam, and then it's files in addition to Update 3 at approximately 2g?

so just to get it into my thick skull - i would be downloading a stub file (~1mb) when purchasing Vietnam, and then it's files in addition to Update 3 at approximately 2g?

Yes, the actual DLC download will just unlock the content, everything will be included in the huge update, which you will need to be able to play with people who will have that update.

Their mistake is that all fixes should be included in those mandatory updates, which are always rather small.

The optional updates should only contain the DLC.

It's a little better on the PS3, because everyone has a hard drive, so all updates are mandatory. But even if you're not gonna buy the DLC, you are still forced to download all updates. Thankfully anyone can play with anyone.

Yes, another multiplayer update is coming. It'll be available from the in-game store, and it'll be optional.

How big? I don't know, but the PS3 version is 1.8 GiB.

Why? Because except the various fixes and improvements, it'll also contain the VIP Map Pack 7 (BC1 + SP maps), and the Vietnam DLC.

This update is optional, but IT WILL reflect on whether people can play with each other, just like Update 2 does.

- people with update 2

- people with update 3

And if you know how, you can even download the MP Update 1, which isn't officially available anymore, because it was integrated into Update 2.

In theory Update 2 could be included in Update 3, but it was rather big, and it'd force you to download it again. We'll see how it is.

Whatever they do, the community will be separated. It might stay like it is now, but it might get worse.

As for the DLC, we of course won't have to download anything else for the map pack, and the Vietnam unlock will be a few hundred kilobytes, just like SPECACT and Onslaught.

Pure dumbness, because if you don't want the DLC, you won't download the Update. But if you want to play with everyone, you have to download the Update, so you have to download the DLC, which won't be available to you.

They really f*cked up with this.

They addressed the size issue before. Xbox live policy dictates nothing over a certain size can be included in an auto update. DICE, not EA(they produce the game not develop it kids), said the update fixes for multiplayer were too large for an auto update. I question why someone wouldn't want to get the newest update in the first place.

We dont know what the update on xbox is going to look like nor do we know for sure if update 2 will disappear from the store. The reg maps are free. So why would you not want the DLC? I think you guys are making a big deal about nothing. Wait to you have real problems in life. I still dont have issues finding games in multiplayer, they just aren't always full games. I think this has more to do with the lack of new maps and/or the slow rate at which they are coming out. That is something to actually be concerned about in my opinion. To each their own I guess.

Let's hope DICE tracks these type of trends and fixes the lack of map DLC in the next battlefield versions.

The new update is now available. It's 1.64 GB. Update 2 is gone, so it must've been integrated in the new one.

Still, not everyone will download it, so there MIGHT be FOUR separate communities in the game.

The VIP Map Pack 7 i supposed to unlock tomorrow.

Of course it'll take lightyears to download the update. 1% after a few minutes, and what's worse the download seems to stop whenever the active window closes (e.g. when the gamepad turns off). When I go to active downloads there's nothing there.

Edited by Harry Lloyd

You know, I don't feel as sorry for those who don't update their game as much I as do for those who can't update if they wanted to. ~2GB updates and some arcade titles 1GB+ in size - these developers do realize that some people still don't have high capacity HDDs, right? Especially the newer model 360s - some of the new HDDs are only 4GB in size.

I'm lucky to have myself a 250GB HDD because of that Final Fantasy XIII bundle, because I'm apparently a packrat when it comes to game videos. Those with much lower capacity HDDs - it just wouldn't be possible. :)

Edited by stuhp

I thought the Multiplayer Update #2 included Onslaught? So if someone downloads the 3rd update due tomorrow, then deletes their 2nd update, and you can't play Onslaught, then it means for sure that the updates are not integrated into each other. I for one, really want to get the new maps and such, but hate the prospect of downloading a 1.6 GB update, when I have 1.7 GB left on my so-called "20 GB" hard drive, which only has about 13 GB max usable, last time I checked. Someone please try this out so I can delete the first and second updates to make room for the third.

I thought the Multiplayer Update #2 included Onslaught? So if someone downloads the 3rd update due tomorrow, then deletes their 2nd update, and you can't play Onslaught, then it means for sure that the updates are not integrated into each other. I for one, really want to get the new maps and such, but hate the prospect of downloading a 1.6 GB update, when I have 1.7 GB left on my so-called "20 GB" hard drive, which only has about 13 GB max usable, last time I checked. Someone please try this out so I can delete the first and second updates to make room for the third.

Case. In. Point.

:D

Just get on and download the update. It does take over half an hour to but everyone is in the same boat. Once my friends and I had downloaded it there was no problem getting into a game.

I'm sure you must have unplayed demos clogging up your hard drive you can delete although I appreciate it may be a problem for people with the 20gig drive or the arcade version.

You can delete updates 1 and 2, they are integrated into the new one, thank God for that.

Microsoft weren't too thoughtfull when designing the 360, they didn't really plan for the future. Arcade games, then DLC, and now gigantic updates. All that requires lots of space, and yet they are still only giving 4 GB in some models. Sony definitely won in this aspect.

And we still have to wait at least two years for the next generation. :(

You can delete updates 1 and 2, they are integrated into the new one, thank God for that.

Microsoft weren't too thoughtfull when designing the 360, they didn't really plan for the future. Arcade games, then DLC, and now gigantic updates. All that requires lots of space, and yet they are still only giving 4 GB in some models. Sony definitely won in this aspect.

I can delete updates 1 and 2? about time this 3rd one is actually useful..

Really? So, you deleted those two updates, and you can still play Onslaught and such? I'm about to go do that so I have room for Update 3.

Has anyone just lost the ability to play on any of the VIP maps? Because that is what it seems happened to me. Like i took a session to play the new maps (with only Multiplayer Update 3) and did, then i go offline and then play some more but i can't seem to see any of the VIP content enabled and is back to what we originally got at launch.

I redownload MU 2 and 3 to see if that was the problem and still no DICE

Anyone else got this issue?

EDIT: And Yet I Can Still Play Onslaught, So it is only the Maps that are affected

Oh and I Don't Have Squad Rush either :s

EDIT 2: After clearing my cache and downloading MU3, i finally got it to work again. Such a pain

Edited by Hustlinonradio

Has anyone just lost the ability to play on any of the VIP maps? Because that is what it seems happened to me. Like i took a session to play the new maps (with only Multiplayer Update 3) and did, then i go offline and then play some more but i can't seem to see any of the VIP content enabled and is back to what we originally got at launch.

Anyone else got this issue?

and still no DICE
DICE
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/3702/picardfacepalmr.jpg

Really? So, you deleted those two updates, and you can still play Onslaught and such? I'm about to go do that so I have room for Update 3.

Yes, everything is available with just the third update, you can see they're gone from the store, so new players can't download them.

There was a global problem with the VIP status, no map packs were available for some time.