Do you use guides?

NevynYT

The topic name says it all, do you use guides for games you don't understand?

I got to admit some of those puzzles on Assassin's Creed II are pretty hard!

Personally, I have two, Bradygames signature guides, for GTA IV and Borderlands.

I am gonna buy a GOTY Fallout 3 guide, including maps and enemies off all DLC content!

So, would you people state if you use guides, if so which one? And is it Bradygames, or another? And for what game, ofcourse.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The topic name says it all, do you use guides for games you don't understand?

I got to admit some of those puzzles on Assassin's Creed II are pretty hard!

Personally, I have two, Bradygames signature guides, for GTA IV and Borderlands.

I am gonna buy a GOTY Fallout 3 guide, including maps and enemies off all DLC content!

So, would you people state if you use guides, if so which one? And is it Bradygames, or another? And for what game, ofcourse.

I do use guides. Honestly, pretty often, in fact. I use Gamefaqs.com. I use it for every game I own that I need help on. And I'll come 2 x360a.org if i cant find anything on gamefaqs. well, now im going 2 use x360a if i cant find anything gfaqs. i just found this site.

I use guides in rare situations:

If I buy a Pokemon game and don't know where to go in one part, I look up the guide.

Sometimes I also use guides to help with missions on GTA IV.

I used a guide my first time on Tales of Symphonia too.

Now I don't use guides very often, I like to find my own way through.

I do use wikis though, like fallout.wikia and masseffect.wikia

Definitely use more wikis than FAQs or printed guides these days. I especially like to make sure I've gotten everything in one level/area before moving to the next - nothing worse than missing something and finding it's impossible to go back and get it.

I used to. Yes, they were Bradygames but i do have some others. I always have been a rpg fan and some of the older games had literally hundreds of optional quests that i just had to do. Morrowind is a good example. I have maxed that game out. Every main quest, side quest, free quest, whatever it had to offer i have done it and enjoyed it! There is no shame in using one, they make them for a reason you know! I find the achievement guide that people do on this site to be especially helpful when i am stuck. Your fellow gamers are always a good source for info!!:woop:

Strategy Guides bought from shops and online? no.

Online guides and Wiki's? yes.

Same for me. Pretty much the only physical guides I buy are the pokedexes, simply because of the convenience of having all the relevant data within reach (Though if I have access to the internet, I'll just use Bulbapedia).

I have realized how much I use guides without even thinking of it however. The revelation came when I bought Batman: Arkham Asylum a week early (And thus no guides were available).

Never get actual store bought guides unless there is some sort of deal that makes them free with purchase. Dont really see the point since in this day and age of youtube and websites you can get everything you could get in one of those guides for free and in even easier to use form.

Tend to only use online guides for collectibles and the occasional time where im feeling lazy or frustrated in part of a game.