Have been playing it all night...

I received an early review copy of the game because of the media outlet/gaming site I run and while I cannot reveal that much until the embargo/release date (even though the plot is the same in the 3DS version, which I have as well), I must say that I just paused the game to go out to get coffee along with a handful of energy drinks.

The game is great, if you enjoyed the original games (before Resident Evil 5) you will enjoy this and even if you loved 5 and 6 you may still very much enjoy Revelations on the console too. Not to mention I never thought playing it in full HD would make such an impression on me, but it has ESPECIALLY in the cut scenes. Bottom line though is that the 3DS version was great (you just had to suffer some carpal tunnel syndrome and squint your eyes to enjoy it, so anything added to the game on consoles is a blessing.

It brings back the actual sense of a survival horror but not too much as that was so long ago people have grown and the franchise has seen many changes. I have not even tried Raid mode yet however that seems like it may be the new thing playing cooperatively for endless hours of fun... but don't quote me on that as I have not tried it since it is not out yet... it may be hard to find a partner... as there is no split-screen.

Some Achievement heads up for everyone...

- There is an Achievement for beating normal without dying once and while I started Normal with that in mind (but also that I had to play it quickly in order to review it by release), I realized that many other miscellaneous achievements would require you to do things in the campaign that could jeopardize that... so I suggest playing through on Easy (or Normal) at first without the not dying achievement in mind.

I am not sure exactly what has changed from the 3DS version, but you may have to beat the game on normal to unlock another difficulty in campaign and/or Raid Mode along with other unlocks as that is how the 3DS version was, but the new console port has the new Infernal difficulty which seems to be a take on "Hard" but do correct me if I am wrong on that.

Back to the Achievements... you will want to get a bunch out of the way (that are not difficulty related) such as:

First Victim5 【CAMPAIGN】Scan 1 hidden hand print.

Traces of Tragedy20 【CAMPAIGN】Scan 15 hidden hand prints.

Last Victim50 【CAMPAIGN】Scan 30 hidden hand prints.

Researcher5 【CAMPAIGN】Scan an enemy for the first time.

Research Complete50 【CAMPAIGN】Scan all enemy types.

B.O.W. Hunter10 【CAMPAIGN】Defeat 150 enemies.

Living on the Edge5 【CAMPAIGN】Stop an enemy bullet with your knife.

By the Crosshairs10 【CAMPAIGN】Defeat Rachael before she gets to the cafeteria.

Bamboozle the Oozes10 【CAMPAIGN】Defeat 10 Oozes with headshots.

Die Another Day10 【CAMPAIGN】Evade a Scagdead's instant-death attack.

Triple Play5 【CAMPAIGN】Defeat 3 enemies with one shock grenade.

A Packaged Deal5 【CAMPAIGN】Defeat a Scarmiglione as a whole without killing both parts of its body separately.

Rockets are for Losers20 【CAMPAIGN】Defeat a Malacoda without using a rocket launcher.

*\/*

The Pool is Open 5 【CAMPAIGN】Swim in the Solarium.

This one is easily done by going to the Solarium as Jill early on and filtering the water from the pool, then you will come back later on as another character and be able to go into the pool, which you would not be able to if you had not started the water filtration as Jill as soon as you enter the big room with 3 floors, with the Solarium on the 3rd using the stairs as the elevators are unavailable. If you here some creep mad voice calling for radio distress... simply back track.

*/\* - Please give credit where it is due whomever decides to make a guide for the above. Thank You.

Dodge Master5 【CAMPAIGN】Dodge 20 times.

Angry Fist5 【CAMPAIGN】Land 10 fully charged physical attacks.

Most of these can get you killed while some of them are annoying, others will come naturally and some just need solid methods.

- Right away after dying on complete accident (on Normal) I decided I would go for the dodge (master) achievement, which can easily be obtained on the same enemy by simply quickly (not rapidly) flicking the left stick up and down over and over again while in front of an enemy, preferably the first one(s) you come across. No need to tap the stick and "A" at just the right time as tapping A is simply not needed to dodge on Easy or Normal for some reason... bug, glitch... I dunno. Try dodging when you actually need to in the heat of the moment and you will miserably fail 8/10 times.

- Now I still do not have the (Angry Fist) Land 10 fully charged physical attacks which at this point is much harder for me to do as the enemy must be stunned (in addition to no other enemy attacking you while you hold down A to charge your melee when the ICON appears). My weapons are more powerful now and I think the first enemy you come across the best/easiest one to do it on. Just shoot them in the arms a couple of time each (although I am sure there are other methods to stunning them) then when they are slumped over, wind up that arm (if your Jill, since each character has an amazingly awesome charged melee special... expect for maybe Jill).

Achievements Glitchy?

- I do not know but I am almost sure I have completed Campaign 1-3 the first campaign Cheevo and I do not have it, though you switch back and forth between time so maybe it is still to come, though judging by the description it seems I have completed it.

- Another one is Headshot 10 Oozes which is I am not mistaken I believe are the first enemy you encounter, they are in the demo, unless I have really lost it and they are not it... but anyway could swear I have headshot well over 10 of them considering I have the kill 150 zombies achievement but not that... so I dunno, all I can say it that it's buggy, make sure you take care of that very early on, or I have lost it.

Well that is all for now, I would just say try to get the above done while not worrying about the no deaths on normal achievement as for doing that one while trying to get something like "Evade a Scagdead's instant-death attack" (Die Another Day) might not be such a good idea.

Plus you are rewarded for playing the game multiple times, whether it unlocks new things, gives you new game plus, letting you start with all the weapons you had when first beat the game, or simply making certain Achievements easier to get. If Raid takes off, that is all people will want to play as there is a ton a things to do in there like collect rare weapons from other gamers, buy some from the stores, level up, customize weapons and more.

- ResidentEvil.NET Present Codes are unlocks for Raid mode and not the campaign, unlike some pre-order items, like the pistols from Gamestop that can be used in campaign and online but are all generally to get you started as you will be searching for rare ones and customizing your weapons with "illegal" weapons slot mods and more. The site also being linked to your account will give you stats on your game as well as unlocks, etc. which anyone who played Resident Evil 6 knows and anyone who does not should make sure you have a Capcom account (do not log in with Facebook/Twitter) on the site if you are getting Revelations.

I will try to check back here for questions but will want to play as much as I can too. I hope this helps a lot of you out in various ways.

Also if anyone happens to get any pre-order items for the game, feel free to donate to my cause. I may even have something you could be interested in (various gaming stuff, pre-order codes, dlc, avatar stuff, live, XBLA, etc.)

Edited by MetalReaper00

I hope it's like RE4. That game, IMO, was and is the perfect storm of old RE and new RE. It's kind of funny, actually. RE1-3, I grew up playing these games. They scared the pants off me, and as a result, they always seemed kind of mythical to me. I decided to finally beat them quite a few years ago, and realized 1) they're not that scary by today's standards, and 2) they're actually hardly even interactive and not much actually happens in them. They're simple fun for a few reasons, but the environment is too static and combat is not very fun (and is discouraged). I like a little more interactivity in my games. And combat being discouraged means it's just not very fun. The things that these games had going for them was a fun, tense inventory management system dominating the entire game, a claustrophobic setting, and

Now RE6, on the other hand, is where I think the pendulum swung too far also, but in the other direction. Once again, the environments lost their interactivity and are a bit too static. Everything feels more like a movie set than a real environment - I'm moving through scenes rather than interacting with environments. The new mobility features suddenly make all the combat feel meaningless and weightless. It was fun before, and suddenly it isn't again - a la RE1-3, I felt combat was discouraged again in RE6, but not for survival purposes; it simply wasn't fun. So really, my biggest problems with RE6 are kind of shared with RE1-3, but in completely different ways. But it all comes down to lack of immersive environment interaction and weightless/not fun combat, to me.

I should explain my stance on RE4 and RE5 then, I suppose. I think these two games got it just right - RE5 less so. Combat was encouraged because the enemies had a weight to them - they lumbered toward you, and it was kind of a game of keepaway with guns. The environments were really detailed and had plenty of interaction that made me go "Wow, this feels cool" - some of it was REALLY over the top in RE4, but it worked, so who cares? The economy and weapon upgrading systems also made for a long-term investment and tension in the game. It was just fun. That wasn't in RE1-3 or RE6. As well, RE4 and 5 both excelled at telling really great stories in linear places - but the stories were still great. RE1-3 barely told legit stories and RE6 told such a convoluted and nonsensical story.

I don't know - what I'm saying is that I hope Revelations is like RE4 and RE5. That is - combat with a heft to it that's not discouraged but still has perks to skipping encounters. Environments that are sufficiently real and interactive. Long term investment and tension.

- There is an Achievement for beating normal without dying once and while I started Normal with that in mind (but also that I had to play it quickly in order to review it by release), I realized that many other miscellaneous achievements would require you to do things in the campaign that could jeopardize that... so I suggest playing through on Easy (or Normal) at first without the not dying achievement in mind.

Did you unlock this yet!? More infos would be great, like can you checkpoint-reload and how many instant death sections are there if you don't watch out.

Did you unlock this yet!? More infos would be great, like can you checkpoint-reload and how many instant death sections are there if you don't watch out.

From what I recall the game doesn't feature any "press X to not die" moments, but there are several one-hit-kill enemies (particularly towards the end) which could be a major pain. Other than that though you should be fine as the game gives you far too many resources on normal difficulty for standard enemies to prove a worry.

Personally I am going to just opt for the USB second save method as there really aren't that many moments where death is a possibility. On Abyss/Inferno mode on the other hand.... :|

From what I recall the game doesn't feature any "press X to not die" moments, but there are several one-hit-kill enemies (particularly towards the end) which could be a major pain. Other than that though you should be fine as the game gives you far too many resources on normal difficulty for standard enemies to prove a worry.

Personally I am going to just opt for the USB second save method as there really aren't that many moments where death is a possibility. On Abyss/Inferno mode on the other hand.... :|

Sounds good enough to me, thanks for the insight! Yeah I already watched some videos of the Infernal mode.

Reloading the checkpoint WILL NOT WORK. You are going to have to know when you are low on health to use an herb and be careful when it comes to super damaging if not instant kill attacks... but I can confidently say that you could very well get this achievement one your first play through however NOT worrying about other achievements when you life is in danger... THAT WILL GE! YOU KILLED. Normal is not that difficult either especially if you are used to the older gamers.