New Game+

MetalReaper00

Got the game and I didn't know whether to go for Normal or Apocalyptic for my first playthrough... especially since I did not know if there was a New Game+

To help some of you guys out.. I found out there is a new game plus and beating the game for the first time on any difficulty will unlock it as well as the Nightmare difficulty. Playing through on New Game+ on that difficulty, you will be able to gain loot that you could not obtain before.

I can't really talk about the game, but I thought that piece of information may help a lot of you out just starting to play.

Also all the secret Achievements are right here:

http://www.gamersbliss.com/2012/07/23/darksiders-ii-full-achievementtrophie-list-revealed-plus-avatar-awards/

How do you have the game already?? It does not come out until the 14th.

I work for gamersbliss.com (contest going on right now for Darksider II) - not supposed to say anything but I was at the start screen scratching my head for 10 minutes, trying to decide the difficulty, until I found out there is a New Game +

Beating New Game + on any difficulty unlocks a harder difficulty (even though there is no achievement for it) called Nightmare and playing on that setting you will be able to obtain loot you cannot find on the other difficulties.

I posted that though before I noticed this: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=379327

Edited by MetalReaper00

So you can start on Normal and switch it to Apocalyptic for NG+ and still get the achievement?

I would assume so. I mean that is the point of a NG+ after all. So you can play through the game a second (or higher number) time with all of your abilities and items to make the higher difficulties easier. I've never seen a game offer this feature and then penalize you for using it. (Locking achievements, etc.)

I would assume so. I mean that is the point of a NG+ after all. So you can play through the game a second (or higher number) time with all of your abilities and items to make the higher difficulties easier. I've never seen a game offer this feature and then penalize you for using it. (Locking achievements, etc.)

Dead Space does. When you finish a game you can NG+ on it, but it has the same difficulty level as your finished game and you can not change this. So complete on Normal, NG+ on Normal...

Alice: Madness Returns on the other hand does offer NG+ for other difficulties and you can play Nightmare with all leveled up gear and HP.

I don't know how this is with DS2, but it differs per game. You'll have to find out completing your first DS2 game ;) I suggest taking a lower difficulty to race through, and then immediately going on Nightmare, whether it's NG+ or not..

Dead Space does. When you finish a game you can NG+ on it, but it has the same difficulty level as your finished game and you can not change this. So complete on Normal, NG+ on Normal...

Alice: Madness Returns on the other hand does offer NG+ for other difficulties and you can play Nightmare with all leveled up gear and HP.

I don't know how this is with DS2, but it differs per game. You'll have to find out completing your first DS2 game ;) I suggest taking a lower difficulty to race through, and then immediately going on Nightmare, whether it's NG+ or not..

It's been a while since I 1000'd Dead Space. But I was thinking you could use your upgraded Isaac on Nightmare difficulty. I was pretty sure you could. I might be wrong though. Like I said it has been quite a while since I played it. :p

I never played Alice or Alice: Madness Returns. I was going to but didn't have the time.

And yeah you're right that it varies game to game as far as changing difficulties. But I'm going to go out on limb and say that Darksiders 2 will do it the correct way. (Letting you use a high level character from Normal to beat Nightmare/Apocalyptic.) My reasoning is that the developers have put in so many features that most gamers would want. They've really listened to their fans in that regard. And like they've said many times: "DS2 is a game for gamers made by gamers." So I'm optimistic that they know what we want. ;)

It's been a while since I 1000'd Dead Space. But I was thinking you could use your upgraded Isaac on Nightmare difficulty. I was pretty sure you could. I might be wrong though. Like I said it has been quite a while since I played it. :p

In Dead Space 2 (and possibly Dead Space 1), you were able to use your previous character and import it into a harder difficulty setting (Zealot). However, you weren't able to do this for Hardcore mode-- which is much more similar to Nightmare for Darksiders 2-- so you had to do a fresh new playthrough. I can only presume it's the same for Darksiders 2, because it would make it that much harder.

In Dead Space 2 (and possibly Dead Space 1), you were able to use your previous character and import it into a harder difficulty setting (Zealot). However, you weren't able to do this for Hardcore mode-- which is much more similar to Nightmare for Darksiders 2-- so you had to do a fresh new playthrough. I can only presume it's the same for Darksiders 2, because it would make it that much harder.

Yeah I know that about Dead Space 2. We won't know until Tuesday what's possible in Darksiders 2. I hope that isn't the case though. Not because of the challenge I think Nightmare will present. I just hate the thought of going through 2 full playthroughs building my power and then having it all stripped away on my 3rd. I wouldn't enjoy that. Even though it would make it much more challenging. If that's the way they decided to go with it though, I'll still accept the challenge and try to beat it.

You couldn't do a NG+ on Impossible mode in Dead Space 1. Similar to how Hardcore is in Dead Space 2.

Yeah I know that about Dead Space 2. We won't know until Tuesday what's possible in Darksiders 2. I hope that isn't the case though. Not because of the challenge I think Nightmare will present. I just hate the thought of going through 2 full playthroughs building my power and then having it all stripped away on my 3rd. I wouldn't enjoy that. Even though it would make it much more challenging. If that's the way they decided to go with it though, I'll still accept the challenge and try to beat it.

My first playthrough is definitely either going to be done on the easiest difficulty setting or normal to maximize the fun factor. Then I will do a New Game+ on Apocalyptic and if there's an achievement for Nightmare (which there most likely is considering the excessive amount of secret achievements) then it will be done on my last playthrough as I will be knowledgeable of notable loot and more skilled at the game.

You couldn't do a NG+ on Impossible mode in Dead Space 1. Similar to how Hardcore is in Dead Space 2.

Thanks for the clarification. I've already completed Dead Space 1 on it's hardest difficulty setting but that was a long time ago. My memory was more fresh with Dead Space 2 since I have recently played and finished it on Hardcore.

My first playthrough is definitely either going to be done on the easiest difficulty setting or normal to maximize the fun factor. Then I will do a New Game+ on Apocalyptic and if there's an achievement for Nightmare (which there most likely is considering the excessive amount of secret achievements) then it will be done on my last playthrough as I will be knowledgeable of notable loot and more skilled at the game.

Thanks for the clarification. I've already completed Dead Space 1 on it's hardest difficulty setting but that was a long time ago. My memory was more fresh with Dead Space 2 since I have recently played and finished it on Hardcore.

There is no achievement for beating the game on Nightmare. It is 100% optional. The full list is linked in an older thread. The only thing you get for beating it that we know of is an avatar item. And the person that mentioned that didn't link any proof. So take that with a grain of salt until the avatar award requirements are revealed.

EDIT: Here is the full list. http://exophase.com/game/darksiders-ii-xbox-360/achievements/

Edited by BloodGodAlucard

Just got home from work (game store....and a stop for a few beers), brought my copy and 10 others home for friends who"pre-pre ordered". Sucks I am too tired to play right now. For those with copies, Kudos to ya. We've been sold out on pre orders for about 2 months and are actaully having an option to pick it up at 7am on release day (not conning anyone into a midnight this time).....

Ah.. screw it. red bull run!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone know if after New Game + when you beat it if there is the option for a 3rd play through? I mean doing the Crucible on Apocalyptic difficulty sound like horror story to me.. so id rather change the difficulty. Can anyone tell me if there is one are not?

No you can only do one NG+ playthrough per save file. But you can continue to play your NG+ after you beat the game. That's how you're going to do the DLC. Just continue the game and drop the difficulty to Easy. Then rip through the Crucible. That's what I did for the 1000.

No you can only do one NG+ playthrough per save file. But you can continue to play your NG+ after you beat the game. That's how you're going to do the DLC. Just continue the game and drop the difficulty to Easy. Then rip through the Crucible. That's what I did for the 1000.

Thanks man I didn't know that changing the difficulty would make the achievements still pop up after all they made it in Darksiders 1 that if you changed it your achieves were toast..:woop:

Thanks man I didn't know that changing the difficulty would make the achievements still pop up after all they made it in Darksiders 1 that if you changed it your achieves were toast..:woop:

didn't even know you could change it in 1, obviously chagning will negate any difficulty based achievments, but as the others are simply to do it and not do it on a specific level you're good to go

Well just to clarify you can only change the difficulty after you have beaten the game and got the achievement for beating Apocalyptic. DO NOT CHANGE IT BEFORE YOU BEAT THE GAME! I just wanted to make that clear so you don't screw up your playthrough. Notice that I said to do this after you've beaten the game in NG+ by continuing the game. Then everything will be fine. :)

One thing I'd like to know before start NG+ is if the bonus stats from the stonebits (Blackroot quest) carry over to NG+, as I'm in the process for collecting it on my first run on normal (miss a bunch and need to search the entire game again =().

If the stats do not carry over to the next prlythrough I can go NG+ right now and then follow a guide from the start.