Thoughts on a New Star Trek Series

LickableLemons7

I never watched Star Trek when I was younger, but the 2009 movie eventually made me go back and watch the original series on Netflix. Arguably one of the most influential TV shows of all time. But what if there was a new Star Trek series featuring all the actors from the 09 movie (Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, etc.) and they played their respective roles? I think it would be something very interesting to watch. With somebody such as J.J. Abrams at the helm of a project this scope, could it be pulled off? The series would definitely gain attention. It's Star Trek.

As nice as it might be it will never happen.

Chris Pine has a pretty nice big-screen career going right now as does Simon Pegg, Karl Urban (Bones) and John Cho (Sulu). While I could see Zachary Quinto going back to TV I just don't see the other guys doing it. TV has lost a little bit of its stigma among actors as a second or third tier acting gig (plus the money is good now) but I just don't see these guys doing it.

I've always thought that they should do something different than the previous series. I mean, there's only so many times that they can tell a story about a spaceship traveling through space before it gets stale. Sorry if that sounds a little sacrilege, but I have watched every episode of every series, so I'm not just some outsider to Star Trek thinking that.

Anyways, my idea for another series in the Star Trek universe is a sort of West Wing/Star Trek hybrid. It could be a behind-the-scenes look of the politics of Star Trek. Based on Earth, it could deal with keeping races happy, with introducing new races to the Federation, with outside threats, treaties, and the list goes on. And, to keep the die-hard fans happy, there would be ambassador missions to strange new worlds and the like. I dunno, that's an idea that's been bouncing around in my head.