Desmond in AC III (Spoilers for Story AND MP)

daishichi

There are several threads speculating about the story we'll see in AC III, and at least [thread=344983]one discussing the dossiers and videos unlocked during multiplayer[/thread], but I don't think anyone has tied the two together yet.

The final video unlocked in MP has Dr. Warren Vidic explaining to "you" (a Templar recruit using the Animus to train), along with former Assassin Daniel Cross, that they have located the current Mentor of the Assassin Order: William Miles, Desmond's father. He tells you to "go get him".

At the end of the story mode, Bill Miles is in the van with Desmond, Rebecca and Shaun as they arrive at the site of the Grand Temple in upstate New York, where Desmond will be unlocking the key to preventing the 2012 catastrophe in AC III.

So if Vidic literally meant they know where Bill is right now, then we can expect to see a Templar assault on the Temple while Desmond is trying to unlock its secrets. This should mean some more combat for Desmond, and maybe even a showdown between him and Daniel Cross.

I see a lot of folks saying they want Desmond to be the main character in the next game, which I can't say I agree with; it aint an AC game if you're not exploring history. But this would seem to hint at a larger and more active role for Desmond. We haven't seen him actually fight since the end of AC II, and, after the silly platforming sequences he got in AC:R, it will be fun to kick some ass with him.

One thing I can't work out logistically is how they will have Desmond going back into his memories while exploring the Temple. Is he gonna run back to the van every time he solves a puzzle and opens a door? I think maybe they will have him capable of accessing his ancestral memories without the the Animus, a new level of the Bleeding Effect.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vh1fuMUn58]Assassin's Creed Revelations | Abstergo Videos| Part Nine: Target Acquired - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2mdxGQb2OI]Assassin's Creed Revelations Ending (Major Spoiler Alert) - YouTube[/ame]

I have a feeling that there is going to be some kind of subconsious battle with 16.

as when he grabs Desmond I believe he kinda merged with his mind, to add their consicousnesses together so desmond could survive, and with 16's body been dead he will try and take over desmonds.

I find it hard to believe that they could make a full game of just exploring the one temple, something else HAS to happen.

I liked brotherhood. We used desmond alot. Hopefully AC3 will be the same but more desmond combat :)

The only thing that I can't believe about that is "Desmond combat." If it involves Desmond, then I would assume it's in the current year, which means hand-to-hand combat is pretty pointless. No one would assault a building without guns.

I don't see why they would have you go into the animus (inside the building, obviously. No reason they have to leave it in the van), learn some stuff from memories of an ancestor, and then apply those memories to current day Desmond to platform in the Grand Temple, gradually unlocking more of it after completing each sequence. That seems like the simplest solution, because I can't see how they'd implement combat with Desmond without it being pretty far fetched.

The only thing that I can't believe about that is "Desmond combat." If it involves Desmond, then I would assume it's in the current year, which means hand-to-hand combat is pretty pointless. No one would assault a building without guns.

I don't see why they would have you go into the animus (inside the building, obviously. No reason they have to leave it in the van), learn some stuff from memories of an ancestor, and then apply those memories to current day Desmond to platform in the Grand Temple, gradually unlocking more of it after completing each sequence. That seems like the simplest solution, because I can't see how they'd implement combat with Desmond without it being pretty far fetched.

Well, the point about guns is true enough, but that's what they did at the end of ACII. The Templars were all holding "stun sticks" or some such shit, so Desmond's hidden blade worked fine. I guess the logic is that the Templar's do not want Desmond dead; his bloodlines are far too important. They want him back in captivity and finding more artifacts (or unlocking the Temple for their benefit).

I guess the animus is fairly mobile, they've set it up in Monteriggioni and a van (twice), so we could end up in some central chamber of the Temple unlocking the surrounding chambers one by one (Jupiter made a point of saying they had six solutions to the catastrophe, each better than the last, so I think we'll have six main chapters).

I think ur right when u say it wouldnt be an AC if there werent history involved. I like the theory floating around that it could be the history of the people during the last catastrophe. An ancestor who was around when Those Who Came Before ran shit.

That's the first I've heard of that theory...it would be a cool payoff to play as Adam or Eve as they actually steal the Apple.

I'm starting to lean towards multiple ancestors. It runs the risk of "watering down" the connection to the character(s)...but that's part of why I'm thinking it. In Ezio, they've built a character we love so much, they can't possibly achieve that again with a single character who just gets one game. Since they've made a point of saying that Desmond is essentially connected to nearly every important bloodline, they could have us playing as several (six?) different ancestors. This would also set up "spin offs" for the most well-received of the new characters.

Interesting that Jupiter harps on there being six solutions for the next catastrophe, and that there were six famous assassins represented in the ACII Sanctuary:

• Qulan Gal (killed Genghis Khan in 1227 [with Altair's son Darim!])
  • Darius (killed Persian King Xerxes in 465 B.C.)
  • Wei Yu (killed Chinese Emperor Qin Shi Huang in 210 B.C.)
  • Amunet (killed Cleopatra in 30 B.C.)
  • Iltani (killed Alexander the Great in 323 B.C.)
  • Leonius (killed Caligula in 41 A.D.)

I could see these being the six memories we need to relive to open the chambers of the Grand Temple, with a seventh being the memory of Adam to open some final chamber.

Mind you, this is beyond speculating into fantasizing. If I had to put money down, I'd still say Elizabethan England. Lots going on , lots of historical figures who could cameo. It would be a lot of work for Ubisoft to create 6-7 different locales, cultures and eras. But it would be cool.

Edited by daishichi