Question about Great Dane.

iamtfc

For those that have it. Did you really get all tags on all difficulties? Did it pop if you missed any? The reason I bring this up is that I'm starting to wonder if what you really need for this to pop is the six items collecting the dog tags unlockes (Bandanna and Stealth for SNake, the three wigs and stealth for Raiden).

If this is the case, it'll cut down some time. You wont have to go through the tanker but three times, even skip the two annoying ones in the holds on easy.

Edited by iamtfc

I'm currently going through it myself. Got Bandanna and Stealth for Snake, Brown Wig and Stealth for Raiden. I don't know when I'll be able to finish up though, as I'm scheduled over time for the next few weeks. If no one posts by the time I finish, I'll post my results.

I just beat Extreme on the Plant with my final dog tags and the achievement didn't pop until the screen telling me I obtained a new item (the blue wig). I'm seriously thinking the achievement only hinges on acquiring all of the special items.

My theory is correct. I got it after I got the last item (Blue Wig). I never even went through the Tanker on the harder difficulties (plus I left the ones in the hold on Easy). I stopped once I had both Stealth and Bandanna in the tanker.

So, all you need is the items that the dog tags give you.

My theory is correct. I got it after I got the last item (Blue Wig). I never even went through the Tanker on the harder difficulties (plus I left the ones in the hold on Easy). I stopped once I had both Stealth and Bandanna in the tanker.

So, all you need is the items that the dog tags give you.

To make sure I am understanding this, all I need to do for the Great Dane achievement is:

Blue wig (Infinite Oxygen): Get at least 200 dog tags on plant mission and beat the game.

Brown wig (Infinite Ammo): Get at least 70 dog tags in plant misson and beat the game.

Orange wig (Infinite Grip): Get at least 160 dog tags on plant mission and beat the game.

Stealth camo. (Invisibility): Get at least 110 dog tags in plant mission and beat the game.

Unlock Bandana (Infinite Ammo for Tanker Chapter): Get a total of 50 dog tags in the Tanker Chapter and finish the chapter.

Unlock Stealth for Tanker stage: Get a total of 80 dog tags in Tanker stage, and Stealth will be unlocked for Tanker stage.

Cuz if that's correct, this achievement is no longer terrifying!

You may be on to something. I just collected my last dog tag from Snake on extreme and it didnt pop. Therefore, you don't just need to collect them all, you also need to finish the playthrough that you collected your last ones on.

You need to beat the game too for the tags to even count.

To make sure I am understanding this, all I need to do for the Great Dane achievement is:

Blue wig (Infinite Oxygen): Get at least 200 dog tags on plant mission and beat the game.

Brown wig (Infinite Ammo): Get at least 70 dog tags in plant misson and beat the game.

Orange wig (Infinite Grip): Get at least 160 dog tags on plant mission and beat the game.

Stealth camo. (Invisibility): Get at least 110 dog tags in plant mission and beat the game.

Unlock Bandana (Infinite Ammo for Tanker Chapter): Get a total of 50 dog tags in the Tanker Chapter and finish the chapter.

Unlock Stealth for Tanker stage: Get a total of 80 dog tags in Tanker stage, and Stealth will be unlocked for Tanker stage.

Cuz if that's correct, this achievement is no longer terrifying!

Pretty much, yes. I can't vouch for the exact numbers needed to get all items. Some sites and people will say you need to get all tags for some of the difficulties, but I know that's wrong.

Like I said, I just got the Bandanna and Stealth for Snake by playing three difficulty levels and getting those tags (I skipped Hard and Extreme) and did all difficulty levels for Raiden for his four items. It popped right after I unlocked the last item, the Blue Wig.

Pretty much, yes. I can't vouch for the exact numbers needed to get all items. Some sites and people will say you need to get all tags for some of the difficulties, but I know that's wrong.

Like I said, I just got the Bandanna and Stealth for Snake by playing three difficulty levels and getting those tags (I skipped Hard and Extreme) and did all difficulty levels for Raiden for his four items. It popped right after I unlocked the last item, the Blue Wig.

I wish I would've known this so I didn't have to fight Olga on Extreme. Oh my god if my roommate was there when I was fighting her, I probably would've murdered him.

Are there not enough dog tags in one playthrough? I honestly can't remember as I haven't played Metal Gear Solid 2 since it came out for the PS2...

OMG, son. This is amazing news! Really hope this works for me, too.

Anyone else try it, yet?

:)

The harrier battle isn't too bad, just have to keep at it. Use this guy's strategy:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdNw6oKlM5c]MGS2 E-Ex : Harrier battle - YouTube[/ame]

I spent 2 hours trying to beat Vamp on extreme before I figured out a glitchy way to defeat him. Shoot him once right away, then hang off the rail to the left of the enrance door (the back of pool), then he will always do his slow walk thing towards you. Once he gets close, flip over the rail and do the punch punch punch kick combo, rinse and repeat.

The Metal Gear Rays are actually really easy, you just have to avoid getting too greedy with trying to sneak off a couple Stinger missles. I beat them without getting hit once on my first try, but that's probably due to all the time I spent playing MGS2 on the PS2.

My strategy was the same as this guys:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2QXzalTXbo][MGS2] Ray Battle (Extreme) - YouTube[/ame]

Except I didn't even use chaff grenades. When the Rays fire 3 missles into the air, just keep running and they won't hit you.

Thanks.

I think I used the Stingers to take down more Vamp easily.

P.S. This is amazing news. There are some tags in the Tanker that are just douchebaggedly difficult.

P.P.S. Finished "Tanker" on Very Easy, Easy, and Normal.

Finished "Plant" on Very Easy and Easy. In process of doing Normal.

Edited by bennifer3000

Thanks.

I think I used the Stingers to take down more Vamp easily.

P.S. This is amazing news. There are some tags in the Tanker that are just douchebaggedly difficult.

P.P.S. Finished "Tanker" on Very Easy, Easy, and Normal.

Finished "Plant" on Very Easy and Easy. In process of doing Normal.

I'm that far at the moment, too.

I never thought to try Stingers on that bastard.

That might help out on Extreme Mode when going for those necessary tags.

I'm that far at the moment, too.

I never thought to try Stingers on that bastard.

That might help out on Extreme Mode when going for those necessary tags.

It helps immensely.

But if you do it right you should have 200 tags well before Vamp on Extreme so you won't even have to fight him.

Don't think you have to do the Harrier either but I'm not 100% on that.

It helps immensely.

But if you do it right you should have 200 tags well before Vamp on Extreme so you won't even have to fight him.

Sure, but you have to make it to the post-credits screen for your tags to "count" though, right?

Everything pretty much rides on that one clear file we all have, so if you're in the middle of the Plant Episode you'll have to finish it up until the end to get your special items and achievement.

It helps immensely.

yeah you need to beat the game though

I can also confirm that unlocking the Blue Wig for the Plant Chapter after getting both of Snake's items will unlock Great Dane for you.

Just finished Extreme mode.

:woop:

But Jesus Christ, the Metal Gear Rays on Extreme were damn tough, but the Harrier seemed a tad more difficult/frustrating overall.

For the Rays you're good with a Stinger and equipping/lock-on shooting/unequipping/flipping away then you should be fine.

All you really need to do is keep the Ray on your platform busy, even if it's one Stinger to the knee to hold him off.

I did that, and did the "knee to head" Stinger combo on the Rays on the sidelines to widdle them down so they'd be at low health by the time they jumped on.

Always keep an eye on the Ray right in front of you, though.

He is the biggest threat.

Good luck to all of you!

Man I'm about to do that part where raiden gets naked without any rations I used 2 on the harrier and shook all the remaining soldiers and none would drop any. I'm probably fucked I probably won't start over fatman was almost impossible.