Riddler's Riddles Guide (May Contain Spoilers)

DivinityCycle

I do already have the game and so I thought I'd start a collaborative guide on the Ridder's Riddle challenges. They're one of the main things you need to do to 100% this game.

I'll post as I figure more stuff out, but here's my initial thoughts:

-The "structurally weak" walls are destructible, but only once you get your explosive gel gadget. You will get this as part of the story.

-There are many Riddler Trophy items in the game. These are a collectible, and are considered part of the "Riddles" achievements. Many are in plain sight but some are behind various obstacles. A bunch of them are only accessible once you get the explosive gel.

-Those little chattering teeth enemies are another challenge. Each area has a certain number of them you need to destroy to unlock. Basically just kill all of them you see with Batrangs.

-Random collectible items will reveal character bios and also there are inmate interview tapes. These collectibles are also part of the Riddler challenges

There are a TON of other things I haven't figured out yet so if you're so inclined, do post your own findings :)

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-There are many Riddler Trophy items in the game. These are a collectible, and are considered part of the "Riddles" achievements. Many are in plain sight but some are behind various obstacles. A bunch of them are only accessible once you get the explosive gel.

Not just the gel. You'll also need to get the zipline and upgraded Bat-Claw to reach some of them. You unlock these later in the game.

-Random collectible items will reveal character bios and also there are inmate interview tapes. These collectibles are also part of the Riddler challenges

They're not random - if you check the Riddler tab in the pause menu you can see what challenges you still have to complete in each area. Some are marked with a little green question mark - this means it will unlock something when completed. There are also character statues as well as bios.

Here's a guide to the Riddler's Riddles that I've been able to solve. Beating them involves finding the answer, looking at it and holding LB to scan it.

Some will require specific gadgets, and others are only accessible towards the end of the game, and I'll mention this whenever I can. You can also find Riddler's Maps which will mark all the secrets in an area on your map. They appear as floating question marks, so the position they give is not precise. As well as collectables, they will give you the general location of riddle solutions.

From what I can tell, none are missable though. You can go back after completing the story and explore all the areas again, and none of the Riddles seem affected by later gameplay events.

I'm posting some of these from memory, so details may be vague. Also, there may be some plot spoilers in here, so beware.

Map Area: Intensive Treatment

Lobby

Don't cut yourself on this Sharply observed portrait.

The portrait of Warden Sharp on the wall. This is the first riddle you get, and is very easy - the portrait is nearby when The Riddler contacts you.

Transfer Loop

A top hat and tails is the only dress code for this party in the North

Looking at the map, find the corridor that runs left to right. About halfway down this corridor is a partially open door. Duck under it and look at the Penguin poster on the wall.

Holding Cells

Where would you find my home sweet home?

There's a cell covered in question marks right at the start of the game. Not sure if you can scan it then, since it's before The Riddler actually sets you any challenges. If not, come back later when you have the Cryptographic Sequencer to shut off the barrier.

Secure Transit

Dr Jonathan Crane plans on elevating fear to new depths.

You can only get this at the end of the game, when you can get past the elevator that Harley crashes near the start. Enter the vent at the bottom of the elevator shaft and follow it to Scarecrow's lair.

Cell Block Transer

Hook up with the relatives before you're transferred out of here.

Right near the end, after the final (brilliant) Scarecrow sequence, take the right hand corridor, disable the barrier at the stairs near the far door and enter Aaron Cash's office. Zoom in on the family photo on the desk.

Patient Pacification Chamber

Even I was shocked when I saw how Maxie Zeus was treated.

Maxie's cell is behind a breakable wall in the far corner, opposite the grate you use to escape after defeating Zsasz in your first encounter. You won't be able to get it when you first enter this room, as you need the explosive gel.

Intensive Treatment Lobby

A puzzle has many sides, but only some are visible.

Riddles phrased like this mean you need to switch to Detective Mode and look for a question mark painted on the scenery. You'll need to stand in the right position to make it line up correctly. Don't forget the dot underneath! This one can be seen from inside the structure in the middle of the room. Looking at the map, you want to be in the glass-roofed section on the left hand side. You'll see the top of the question mark on the window facing the south wall, where the dot is. Line them up.

Map Area: Medical Facility

Secure Access

Are you going to take your hat off to Harley, Bats?

Next to the elevator in the Sanatorium there's a grate on the wall. You need the Bat-Claw to pull it down. Climb in, drop down the shaft to the Morgue level. There's another vent at the bottom of the elevator shaft - climb in there and keep following the vent until you drop down into Harley's room. Zoom in on the harlequin hat on the desk.

Surgery Room

Shhhhsshh! Rumors persist that Tommy Elliot operates in Arkham. Can it be true?

On the upstairs balcony, where the henchmen jump down from, there's a board on the wall with the surgeon's roster. Zoom in on Elliot's name.

Experimental Chamber

Is this bear the Bane of his life?

Bane's teddy bear is on the left hand side as you make your way through this area. You can't miss it, since you have to go past it.

Patient Observation

Was this fire fly too hot off the press?

After you've removed all the gas, look for press cuttings stuck to a locker in one of the small rooms. Zoom in on the Firefly headline.

Sanatorium

A question can only be answered from a new perspective. Don't you agree?

As you enter the room, there's a breakable floor on the left hand side. Demolish it with gel, then stand on the side and switch on Detective Mode. The main bit of the question mark is on the side of the hole, the dot is on the floor below.

TICK! TOCK! News flash! Someone is not getting out of here alive.

In the large room where you free Dr Young from Joker's thugs, look for the cell decorated with skulls on the lower level. The clue suggests it's something to do with Killer Croc, but I don't think he'd fit in there!

Morgue

What silent killer of the oceans can be found in a tiny jar?

There's a jar at the end of the autopsy table, containing fingers and body parts from Great White Shark. Zoom in on the jar, make sure the label is displayed.

Medical Foyer

Is the generosity of our benefactors on the Wayne?

Directly opposite the front doors. It's the gold plaque saying the medical unit was funded by the Bruce Wayne Foundation for the Criminally Insane.

Map Area: Caves

Main Sewer Junction

Just before you make the final jump to reach the door leading back outside, turn to the pillar behind you, and shimmy around. You'll find a trophy. Turn on Detective Mode and you'll see the dot from the bottom of the question mark, the rest of which should be on the bridge above you. THANKS TO PITTSKI FOR FINDING THE DOT!

Map Area: Arkham Mansion

South Corridor

This fiendish puzzle literally appears out of thin air.

One of Riddler's hidden question marks. You'll see most of it very easily in Detective Mode - it's over a display case. You'll need to grapple up to the duct opposite and look down to find the dot though.

What does a bird need in the rain?

Penguin's umbrellas. Easily found in a display case.

Warden's Office

Isn't the Warden too old for a puppet show?

Scarface. He's in a display case. Can't miss it.

Main Hall

Who is the main man in the main hall?

Not the statue! Look for the plaque honoring Commisioner Gordon on the right hand side staircase.

Dr Young's Office

It'll be a cold day in Hell when this Ghul rises again.

In one of the rooms outside Young's office, there's a wall of body freezers. Look for the one sticking out and zoom in on Ra's Al Ghul's toe tag. Fun Easter Egg: if you return after completing the story, he's gone.

How do you mask your feelings without losing control?

The big tribal mask on the wall of Young's office. Impossible to miss.

Arkham Records Room

Our records show that a Strange transfer request was made in this room.

Hidden behind an electronic barrier. You'll need the Cryptographic Sequencer, the horizontal zipline and the Power Amplifier upgrade. Disable the barrier, zipline over the electric floor and you'll find Hugo Strange's files. It took me a few attempts to find a view of them that the game would accept, but just zoom in and keep trying.

North Corridor

Did Amadeus go mad, or was he just dizzy?

I think you find this while finding a way into Dr Young's office. You'll need to crawl through the vents and drop down into a small cell. There's another cell nearby with circular writing all over the walls. Zoom in on Amadeus Arkham's insane scribblings.

East Wing Corridor

A game of Cat and mouse can be painful.

Catwoman's mask and gloves. Easy to spot in a display case.

Edited by CandidGamera

Map Area: Penitentiary

Main Cell Block

This room is the end of days for even the most celebrated killer.

The clue reads like it's referring to an execution chamber, but it actually refers to Calendar Man's cell. It's the one papered with calendar pages.

Two people, one voice, no gun?

After fighting Harley's goons on top of the cells, you're looking for Scarface's tommy gun, in a case on the wall between the two control rooms.

Cells Access

How do you reflect on your successes and failures, Batman?

There's a full length mirror in the ladies toilet. You want Batman's reflection.

Guard Room

When is something right in front of you but still hidden from view?

You can't get these when you first enter this room, because you have to save the guards from Harley's bombs. Come back after you've got the upgraded Bat-Claw and zipline, then you can clear the gas. To do this, climb onto the vents above the guards. Break through the wall, then use the Bat-Claw to pull down the wall on the other side. Batarang the circuit breaker to turn on the fans. Now zipline across and turn around and, with Detective Mode activated, look back to where you just came from. The question mark will be visible.

Prometheus, Arkham guards' most wanted and most hated.

After getting the previous riddle, drop down and find the notice board in the room. Zoom in on the Prometheus poster.

Extreme Incarceration

All alone in your cell? Why don't you break the ice with the most dangerous prisoners?

Mr Freeze's cell, obviously. You can't miss it - it's the one in a block of ice! Wait until you've defeated Harley and her goons befoe getting it though.

Security Control Room

A case of mistaken identity?

One of my favorites. It's the cell at the far end, where Aaron Cash asks for you to let him out. Check the handprints on the glass, then look at him in Detective Mode. No skeleton? Say hello to Clayface. If you come back later, he'll be impersonating other characters. There doesn't seem to be any way to see him in his natural state, sadly.

Controlled Access

What has four walls, two sides and one ex-DA?

Two Face's cell. You can't miss it.

Map Area: Botanical Gardens

Glasshouse Entrance

Is the number up for these guards?

Easy to find. Look for the two dead guards on the bench. Looks like Zsasz got them.

Botanical Glasshouse

What time is tea time in Wonderland?

In the large room with the big fountain. Look in the foliage along the back wall on the second or third tier. You're looking for Mad Hatter's teaset, laid out for a picnic.

Statue Corridor

Remember the Waynes? How could anyone forget?

Zoom in on the bench to find a commemorative plaque to Bruce's parents.

Flooded Corridor

The Ratcatcher needed more than just charm to lead his army.

While crawling through the vent after Joker blocks the way, look down through a grate to see Ratcatcher's costume.

Looks like all the king's horses trampled all the king's men.

Zoom in on the broken wooden soldiers on the bench. Can't miss them.

Is this a tribute to what a mad dog left behind?

Find the headless statue (you'll have to pass it, I think it's right before you meet Ivy) and zoom in on the vandalised plaque.

Aviary

There's no closet in the gardens, so someone is using the roof instead.

You can get this while sneaking past Joker's henchmen. You need to climb up behind the left wall, and you'll emerge on an outcrop, almost directly opposite the control room you're headed for. Look left and down and there's a skeleton hanging out of a crevice. Zoom in.

Abandoned Chamber

This challenge can only be seen by those with a different view on life.

I've found this, but can't remember the exact location. Fairly sure this was another Detective Mode question mark, viewable only from high up in this maze-like room. If anyone else can supply more details, groovy!

Map Area: Arkham Island West

Does Scarecrow's gas break down barriers as it drives you insane?

Located behind a breakable wall, high up on your left near the Eastern exit from the area. You'll need to upgraded Bat-Claw to pull the wall down, then grapple up and find Scarecrow's gas cannisters.

Zsasz is counting on you to find his work.

Looking at the map, this can be found in a room at the top of the large building on the left. You'll need the upgraded Cryptographic Sequencer to disable the barrier from a distance. Once inside, you'll find dead guards arranged as if they're playing poker.

Do you see what I see? No? Then maybe I am in a stronger position.

From the location of the previous riddle, switch to Detective Mode, stand on the balcony and look across at the elevator on the opposite side. The top of the question mark in on the elevator wall, the dot is on the railing in front of you. THANKS TO SULLYDAVID.

Map Area: Arkham East

The legacy of this island has been well and truly buried.

Arkham's grave in the cemetery. Can't miss it.

Gotham's greatest family towers over the city.

Nothing to do with the numerous towers on the Arkham Mansion. Look to the horizon and zoom in on the WayneTech skyscraper.

My challenge appears to those with the correct position in life.

Climb up the left hand side of Arkham Mansion. Grapple up to the first platform on the large tower at the back, then follow it around and grapple up to the next. Look down at the rooftops in Detective Mode and find the giant question mark. The dot is actually on the platform you're standing on.

Map Area: Arkham North

Now I see it, now you don't!

Another question mark. This one is on the underside of the top of the doorframe of the ruined building in the far corner. Stand just outside, looking in, to line it up.

Let's face it, there are two Dents on the wall.

Inside one of the small huts, you'll find a Harvey Dent poster. You may be able to get in by using explosive gel on the roof, or you may need to use the Cryptographic Sequencer on the barrier.

Tweedledum and Tweedledee SAW it, can you SEE it?

Easy. Look for the see-saw at the edge of the map, near the gates.

Edited by CandidGamera

holy crap... what is this, is this a trophy about collecting stufff.? can some one please explain this to me please. so some are just adui logs and some are challenges?

they are all riddles and you need to collect everything for the 100 percent achievement

Map Area: Caves

Main Sewer Junction

Awaiting solution. Same clue as Intensive Treatment Lobby.

before you jump the final jump to get to the door back outside. the pillar behind you, you can climb and shimmy around you will find a trophy and the dot to the question mark you just need to align it up and do the info thing and you good to go.

I just need to know how to get across the final part to the trophy. you cant jump across or glide across.

The "Riddler Secrets Map" is an item that recurs throughout the game. I THINK there is one for each area. Once you collect one it will paint little floating question marks on the map at the locations where riddles and collectibles are, making it easier to finish off that area.

You are going to have to back-track and do at least some of the stuff later on, since there are lots of things you need a specific item to access. I believe once you have the zipline and the Ultra Batclaw you are all set to access everything. I'm actually just gonna finish the story and THEN worry about collectibles, since this game is awesome :)

uhh am i able to get back into the experimental chambers after you defeat bane?.

i didnt get everything yet

didnt know if you guys would know

The only area of the map that you can't get back to is the room where you meet Ivy in the Botanical Gardens, but there's nothing in there - it's just used for a cutscene and a boss fight. All the secrets and riddles are unaffected by gameplay events, so you can go back and get any of them after the story is done.

for the riddle in the intensive treatment lobby i found the dot under one of the circular vents not just have to find the question mark

*edit* the the question mark part is in the center building in the window directly across from the dot.

Edited by Pittski

Abandoned Chamber

This challenge can only be seen by those with a different view on life.

I've found this, but can't remember the exact location. Fairly sure this was another Detective Mode question mark, viewable only from high up in this maze-like room. If anyone else can supply more details, groovy!

Man I'm stuck at this one and I really can't find it. Help would be greatly appreciated :)

EDIT: Nevermind, just got it. You really do have to climb in the highest point of the room. At some time during the ascension, there is a bridge held up by a rope. After you slice the rope with the Batarang, it will fall vertically so you can walk on it. After reaching the end of the bridge turn immediately left and jump on the ledge. The rest is obvious.

Edited by n3mur1t0r