Why no cover system?

BruinsFTW

Since when did FPS start having cover systems?

Rainbow Six Vegas anyone?

Not having a cover system is far from a deal breaker, but when the devs develop a game that almost feels like you NEED a cover system, by not having one seems kind of stupid.

I found myself at one point pausing and looking at the manual for a "cover" button. I'd take hits, the game would flash "find cover", then I'd die, even tho I'd duck behind something and still get railed. Just seems odd really.

This and Dead Space 2 have made me question my current love for gaming. I play for a bit, and just stop caring. Maybe it's time to stop buying games for a few months. I should LOVE both of them, but find myself just bored after about 20min.

What was pissing me off was playing the train level (end of chapter 1). Out in the open, nowhere to hide and the game is going, "Find cover!"... uhm... WHERE!?

1 chapter down and I'm sorely letdown.

This part was annoying, especially on very hard difficulty. That was the only problem part I had so far in the game and I am at Act 4 Ch. 3

Cover systems are nothing more than a crutch 90% of the time and best implemented as an option, not a necessity. They breed blatant cloning and bland gameplay. Some people prefer games without cover systems, games exactly like this.

Why no cover system? Because you can't please everyone at the same time and everyone deserves their niche. This game is my niche for a lot of reasons (lack of cover is only a small step in the right direction), and it's one I don't see catered to very often.

My favorite kinds of games have been getting phased out for a long time because of people making silly complaints like this. If a cover system is what you're after, you've got far more options than the rest of us these days and you have to realize...a cover system involves a whole lot more than an extra button, it's a design choice.

I can see both sides of it but I believe they solely wanted you to be over the top on doing skillshots all the time which isnt bad at all. For those with problems on the train, you have an infinite gatling gun which is nice but thats not your only tool for the moment. Leash the Gyros outta the sky and just shoot the barrels on the mobtrains only part that might be troubling is if you have trouble with action bar timing. Or you miss the fuel batteries lol its rather easy if you just keep thinking outside the box. So dont knock the game completely just because its not like other games you want it to be like, if that was the case all these games would be the same lol.

What was pissing me off was playing the train level (end of chapter 1). Out in the open, nowhere to hide and the game is going, "Find cover!"... uhm... WHERE!?

1 chapter down and I'm sorely letdown.

Haha..this is what I was referring to...It doesn't bother me much I'm playing on Very Hard and not having many problems, I just run and use the toggle crouch..I just found it odd the game says find cover and has no cover system.

Since when did FPS start having cover systems? Did you find it a deal breaker when Halo Reach didn't have one as well?

And when did I say it was a deal breaker? And no, I bought Reach as well. I own 60+ games, I'm far from close minded and letting one thing ruin the experience for me. I bought the game. I love the game..I just thought it could use it at certain times..I'm not making a huge deal out of it like half the people in this thread are making it out to be that I merely suggested one..

People in here are making it sound like I made a post of THIS GAME SUCKS IM RETURNING IT or something..I could care less since I prefer run and gun style for the most time but when the mini boss is firing a chain gun at me and the game says find cover I find it ironic theres no cover button and found myself pausing looking for one in the controls. Toggle crouch is fine for me. Some people should get their heads out of their ass, jeez. Putting words in everyones mouth like it was a typical "tis game is teh suck cause no coverz lulz" thread.

Edited by BruinsFTW

This game is all about crazy crap going down all of the time. If there was a cover system it would totally ruin the momentum of the game. Honestly, I'm starting to get tired of the whole, stay in cover until bad guy pops up so you can shoot him and move on thing. Don't get me wrong I like cover in games but sometimes it just really hinders the flow. For this game, cover would just ruin it. That's not what this game is about.